The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: it's alive!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:08 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
After 3 years, I fired up the ole 2400. To be honest, I couldn't even remember where the on button was. ](*,) Of course it took me a bit to remember the various screens and such, but it all came back to me. I wrote a little song for my granddaughter that I sing to her when she's over our home. After her nap, as we're dressing her, when we get to the socks and shoes. for some reason, I started singing about socks and shoes to her and she loves it. I dropped 6 tracks down quickly yesterday, and I plan to add a few more and then some fx. I don't think I have any cdr's left so I'm going to have to relearn how to get the tracks off the 2400 and on to a computer.

Which brings me to my next topic. If I want to continue to do some recording, I really need something else. I don't want to get into computer based because I don't want to tie up a computer or buy a new one for something I may or may not use often. I recently begun looking at the Tascam sd card 24 or 32 track version recorder. Cards are removable, can get up to 32gb per card. I've just begun to watch some videos on the subject and since they're pretty inexpensive, it wouldn't be a big risk. I do plan to sell my 2400 :shock: But for now, unless there is an huge black Friday sales event coming up on the Tascam, I'm in the looking stages.

Finally, one of the perils of recording yesterday, I noticed one of my KRK Rockits wasn't working. Changed the fuse and it immediate blew. I think I'm going to have to forgo monitors and get used to nice headphone mixing.

rz-land

Post subject: Re: it's alive!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:05 pm 
Marker Magician

Go for it Ron. I still use my machine on a somewhat regular basis so i can give you details of procedures as needed.Don't be hasty about moving the 2400 though, unless you want something more portable. It will do what you want. You can still buy cdr s.

Did you see a bandwidth warning earlier this month? I messaged Rob and he said he had made some inquiries, and now we are back up ???

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:14 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Hi guys, yes it helped a bit as the hoster gave us a bit extra bandwidth. It didn't really solve the problem.

I just tried to block a number of web crawlers that are responsible for a lot of data traffic. I hope I did it correctly and I hope those crawlers respect the robots.txt I put in place. Let's see! :-)

Singing for grandchildren sounds like a lot of fun. I will have to wait a while as Lotte turns 19 in Februari...

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:55 pm 

I did find the 2400 quick and easy to arm and record as I remembered. So learning something new would be daunting, but perhaps peaking my interest. Yes, I certainly would like a more modern current piece of tech that is much smaller and portable. I know there are cdr's available, but for how long? While this forum is a treasure trove of info, there's nothing much about the units on youtube and anywhere for that matter. Yamaha has left us all in a lurch and we're here to fend for ourselves. That's some of the reasons I'm considering a switch. I do think I can still get decent money for my 2400. Also, I really want to pare down to the absolute minimum with regards to all the baloney I have lying around I never use. It would be fun to have a small portable DAW, some small monitors, and a place to input guitars and bass, keyboards, drums and a mic. But i'd also love to record the tracks on whatever unit, bring them over to my audacity or adobe audition, line them up and have the ability to adjust and effect the wave files up close and personal. So, at this stage, I'm seeing if the learning curve is obtainable. Then I'll decide.

rz-land

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:03 am 

Byron wrote:
Go for it Ron. I still use my machine on a somewhat regular basis so i can give you details of procedures as needed.Don't be hasty about moving the 2400 though, unless you want something more portable. It will do what you want. You can still buy cdr s.

Because I am down to one powered monitor, I was talking to someone who suggested I connect a powered receiver to the yammie and use stereo speakers to monitor my mix. I noticed there are monitor outs and stereo outs. Which should I use?

rz-land

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:13 pm 
Marker Magician

The monitor outs go through the volume potl located beside the headphone pot. Your powered monitors' volume was controlled from there. The stereo outs come right off the stereo bus and so have no volume control (other than the red fader).

If you were to use the mon outs, the signal sent to the external amp would vary depending on how much you were letting out, which would again be attenuated at the external amp. You would have an inconsistent signal chain on the way to your ears, which might well affect the mix decisions you make when you are listening at similar volumes between sessions but having achieved that volume level through two volume control pots ( one on 2400 other on external amp).

If you come right off the stereo bus via the stereo outs then you have a consistent signal ( with red fader all the way up as is desirable for a mix down ) and all volume control of the listening happens at the external amp.

If you were to set the monitor out pot and leave it alone always and do all the volume control for listening via the external amp then either will work, but leaving a volume control alone is easier said than done, so i guess the stereo out is the best bet for you.

Final note - the metronome does not play back through the stereo out so if you need a click to sound out-loud keep that in mind. When you want a click to lay down a bed track, if that be your practice, then you might likely have headphones on and would hear the click if the cans are connected to the 2400, but not if the headphones come via stereo out >> amp>>cans. Similarly, if you are laying down a lined-in guitar (no mics so no bleed) you might well want to hear the click out loud as you play along, so you would need use the monitor outs in that case.

Good luck with your configuration trials. I recently had a monitor that just up and quit. It was the power supply that was blowing the fuse. So perhaps a repair might be able to fix your unit. Mine was not able to be repaired because the power supply was no longer available ( 14 years old). By chance i found an exact match of my box that was being sold for parts for $20 because a cat got at the cones . I had to drive a couple hours to get it, but now my monitors both work again, saving me buying two new ones ( +$1K to replace the quality of the old ones) and a new learning curve re the sound >> the mix. My repair cost me less than $200 at a warranty depot shop. You may well get it done cheaper if you have a guy to do it or you are able yourself to diagnose, rip and repair ???

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:11 pm 

Thanks! I'm relatively happy with the configuration. I tried the stereo outs but I realized quickly I needed the monitor outs and it works. Not sure that the mix I'm hearing is correct or colored, but that will come listening thru a variety of ways. I plan to hook up a second set of speakers further back. As for the broken monitor, I haven't given up yet, but for now, until I find someone to look at it, this new setup is fine.

Now I need to continue my quest of getting the tracks off the unit, using tghe usb. I thought I read in the manual that I could do a master mix and grab that on my computer. Is that correct and if so, how?

Can't believe I'm recording again (pretty basic song), but it's recording something!!!

rz-land

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:19 pm 
Marker Magician

Easy to move stuff but a couple of steps. I will describe PC. Not sure if you are PC or Mac guy.

1. edit menu >> Export >> define what to export (time> start/stop/tr#/v.tr#)>>perform ( i forget the word they use as i am not in front of machine right now)

2. hook up via USB cable>> push Connect button (top right area)>> follow prompts >> computer begins to "see" 2400 > you may get messages (PC) regarding new hardware etc. but you can ignore these (my experience) >> if not automatic, open a screen to see your machine's drives etc.>> AW should be there in two partitions (maybe labelled G: H: but your machine will determine the letters it assigns)>> open the second of theses two and you will see two folders - Song 2 and Transport>> the file(s) you Export will be in that folder >> drag/drop stuff in or out of that folder.

3. not critical at first, but don't let the Transport become overloaded as you begin to use it more frequently. You can delete stuff from that folder while hooked via USB or you could defrag the disc if so inclined etc.

4. make sure all the AW windows are closed before you disconnect from USB. There is a prompt on the AW to remind of this

5. If you put a file into the transport to bring back to the AW for further use or mixing etc. , then use Edit>ImportUSB > follow file chain and prompts. (only files of same bit depth of current project will show up to be imported)

What was it that told you that the monitor outs would be best for you? To what amp are you sending the signal? You are patching from 1/4 inch out pins on AW to RCA for input to the external amp?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:06 pm 

Byron wrote:
Easy to move stuff but a couple of steps. I will describe PC. Not sure if you are PC or Mac guy.

1. edit menu >> Export >> define what to export (time> start/stop/tr#/v.tr#)>>perform ( i forget the word they use as i am not in front of machine right now)

2. hook up via USB cable>> push Connect button (top right area)>> follow prompts >> computer begins to "see" 2400 > you may get messages (PC) regarding new hardware etc. but you can ignore these (my experience) >> if not automatic, open a screen to see your machine's drives etc.>> AW should be there in two partitions (maybe labelled G: H: but your machine will determine the letters it assigns)>> open the second of theses two and you will see two folders - Song 2 and Transport>> the file(s) you Export will be in that folder >> drag/drop stuff in or out of that folder.

3. not critical at first, but don't let the Transport become overloaded as you begin to use it more frequently. You can delete stuff from that folder while hooked via USB or you could defrag the disc if so inclined etc.

4. make sure all the AW windows are closed before you disconnect from USB. There is a prompt on the AW to remind of this

5. If you put a file into the transport to bring back to the AW for further use or mixing etc. , then use Edit>ImportUSB > follow file chain and prompts. (only files of same bit depth of current project will show up to be imported)

What was it that told you that the monitor outs would be best for you? To what amp are you sending the signal? You are patching from 1/4 inch out pins on AW to RCA for input to the external amp?

Thanks for the info. I read much of this and am looking at putting an older laptop I rarely use (intel core i3). But just to grab the files at this point. I may then pull the files onto a usb stick and bring it to my desktop. But who knows.

As for the receiver, I started with the AUX of the receiver going to the stereo outs. But, as I quickly found, I couldn't control the volume thru the monitor volume switch which prompted me to just switch them over to monitor out. Now, I can adjust the receiver output volume enough to get me to a point where the monitor control volume is doing the job from here on out. Now, I also have on the back of my receiver a section called monitor in and monitor out. I haven't yet tried this, but will eventually. I'm still waiting on Gibson (who owns KRK), to email me info on someone here local that does repairs. I really do not want to put a lot of money into the monitor knowing the possibility that the other may go at some point. I've not heard nice things about these KRK's so, we'll see how that goes. In the meantime, thank you as always for your help which is affirmation to what I've been reading in the online manual.

rz-land

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:25 pm 
Marker Magician

Monitor in outs are for the purpose of taping I suspect, back from cassette player days ???

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:59 pm 

I had no issue using the USB and seeing both 1 and 2 on my computer. In the 2 song file, there were a bunch of the songs. But my new one wasn't there. Is that because I haven't made a master mixdown version yet? The file was on file 1, but nothing showed on the wav's. Do I have to do a mixdown? Also, is there no way to pull a mixdown track from the computer file as a final mixed product?

rz-land

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:50 pm 
Marker Magician

RZ wrote:
I had no issue using the USB and seeing both 1 and 2 on my computer. In the 2 song file, there were a bunch of the songs. But my new one wasn't there.

The bunch of songs would be old projects i assume. Your new song would be in the Song 1 folder on the other partition. The machine randomly chooses which to put it in. but if it gets moved to the other folder ( when an archived song is being restored for further work) that is ok

RZ wrote:
Is that because I haven't made a master mixdown version yet?

No. Any mixes are part of the Song (Project) and you found that project in Song 1 Folder I take from the next comment. so any wavs associated with that project will be in that song folder, including any mix downs when you make such

RZ wrote:
The file was on file 1, but nothing showed on the wav's. Do I have to do a mixdown?

I assume file 1 is the Song 1 folder on the first partiton. The Songs ( Projects) in that folder all have a name and all have a .AWS suffix. Open an .AWS folder and inside will be all the wavs associated with the project >> tracks, mixes, overdubs punchins false starts etc. etc. So in a big project there could be dozens in there, and they are not named, or date stamped or time stamped. So looking for anything in there is like a needle in a haystack. Hence the need for the Transport folder, to where you intentionally export track, mixes etc and have opportunity to name them as you wish ( or agree to a machine generated name)

I am confused by what you mean "but nothing showed on the wavs".

RZ wrote:
Also, is there no way to pull a mixdown track from the computer file as a final mixed product?

Yes. Use the Edit >>Export function. specify ST as the track and the virtual you want ( This virtual is set via the Track button >> Stereo tab if need be. There are 8 virtuals like all the 1-24 tracks.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:41 pm 

In the first section, the song was there, but there were a ton of files which were about :30 seconds with nothing on them. I stopped trying to review them after the 4th file. So, not sure what was going on there. On moving the master track to the computer, I start with the edit button? I haven't read this yet. How does that work via usb?

rz-land

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 5:45 pm 
Marker Magician

I perhaps now understand your dilemma?? when you say there were "tons" of 30 second-long wav files. At first i took you at your word thinking you were looking for them in theTransport Folder but when i got thinking about what you said"tons" i realize you are probably looking in the .AWS file (residing in the Song 1 Folder) Remember i said about a Haystack?? That is where you were. Looking for needles (the desired takes) A song file contains ALL the wavs associated .. good, bad, ugly. (this is so the UNDO button is able to restore a project and also so the AW can use its code to re-assemble and mix designated tracks from its seemingly random storage scheme.

You will never find what you are looking for in there. ( one way to get closer though is to arrange on your PC the VIEW>Arrange Icons (PC right click)>> by size. then the largest files (of the "tons" in there) will be shown together. the actual complete takes will be there together as the largest files, but there is no way of telling one from the other. You will have noticed that all those wavs are numbered as to name, they have no date or time stamp ( PC right click >> Properties) so there is no way to ascertain which is which.

Any track that you want to use (in Audacity for e.g.) must first be sent to the Transport Folder. Not the whole song .. just the tracks you specify via the Edit>> Export commands. If you recorded six tracks and want to use them all in an audacity mix, then all six must first go to the Transport Folder. this is consuming of time but it goes quickly. (Also there is an ALL command in the Export >> TR field. this will export all the current tracks 1-24 together and will create a folder within the Transport folder) If you want a mixdown that you have recorded, the specify that in the Export Tr field as ST.

Once you take that step, then hook up via USB, find the Transport and the files you requested will be there.

The .AWS files can also be moved about and so a project that you no longer need or want can be deleted when viewing Song1 or 2 on your PC, or (which is very important) .AWS folders can be archived to another storage location to be restored at a later date by placement back in the Song 1or 2 folders. Other than archiving there is no need to mess within .AWS folders. Further, if you were lucky enough to find the wav you want and then change its name (#) to something you will later recognize, that screws up the AW as it re assembles during playback on the AW .

When moving desired tracks , the Transport Folder must always be involved, as the .AWS folder is not set up to allow location of specific files within.

Hope I am not barking up the wrong tree. I do remember the learning curve relating to the utility of the .AWS files and their contents and a few misunderstandings/ misplacements/ mistakes re re-naming of files. I even learned how to "un-corrupt" .AWS folders I had corrupted along the way. But if you do it as you should, files do not get corrupted on these reliable machines.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:10 pm 

Sounds like a big pain in the rear and one I'm not sure I want to mess around with. I just would like a simple way to take either the tracks thru usb and drag them on my computer, or simply grab the mix down track so I can save it as an mp3. Sounds like it might be possible if I want to take a lot of steps. I don't want to do that. This is why, as much as I understand the recording and mix down functions, this unit is so out of date and so un-cared about by Yamaha, that I am looking around for a more modern and 21st century unit that is not a computer program.

rz-land

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 11:34 pm 
Marker Magician

Not much of a step really. Especially if you just want to grab a mix down.

Make the mix down. Press Edit Button >> Choose Export (at bottom of drop down list - hit enter to choose. Fill in the fields that appear ( use the enter button to automatically fill time fields with the current time >> use jog wheel to select a specific track, stereo pair or the Stereo Track ST) Hit Execute. Now your file is exported to the Transport Folder.

It is very easy to move items to the Transport Folder; a single track or ALL the current tracks in the current project,with one Edit operation. 5 minutes tops. (ST Mixes do not transfer with the ALL command, they must be done separately)

Hook up via Usb and open the Transport folder contained in partition 2. Open that and drag/drop to your heart's content.

All that stuff i wrote about the .AWS files need be of no concern for general operation. It was first a warning to stay out of those .AWS folders, but also to describe how easy it is to back up those .AWS folders for archival of important projects.

Give it a go. I too make mp3 of most of my mixes that reach final stage. Export the ST to Transport Folder. Grab the file from there on the PC. Make your mp3 on your PC. I use Wavlab by Steinberg for that and sometimes Audacity.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:37 am 

While playing back the little song I did for my granddaughter, I was messing around with the pan. I muted all tracks but one of the acoustics. When I panned left, it got louder. When I panned right the sound got lower until far right it was gone. What is going on?

rz-land

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:27 am 
Marker Magician

You are monitoring using an outboard stereo amp/receiver to drive the speakers? All the wiring correct?

Is this only on that one channel? The pan is as expected on other tracks, or do they behave similarly?

To hear a track alone -- Are you turning all the other tracks off and leaving that acoustic track on, alone, or are you engaging and using the solo function to hear that acoustic alone. there is a difference. I'd have to read up to explain it. Not sure if pan would be affected ???

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:31 am 

I was listening through headphones. I have a Behringer headphone amp plugged into the 2400 headphone input. These headphones have a 1/4” muscle screwed onto a mini jack. When I plugin, I only get left channel. So I bring the plug out some and I hear both side. Could that be the issue? It seems all my headsets have this same jack configuration.

rz-land

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:15 am 
Marker Magician

That is a pain when you have to jiggle a plug.

What kind of cord is attaching the 2400 output through the phones output going to the Beringer ? If you are using a TS tip sleeve cord (ie guitar cord or mono patch cord) that could be the issue. You will need a TRS tip ring sleeve cord on the way out. Going into the headphone amp you similarly need to go into a stereo in, or if the cans amp has L R in only then you need a different kind of cord that splits into two mono plugs-- one with the tip signal, the other with the ring signal.

if that is wired right and you can actually hear both sides then the pan should work. Is this specific to this track or is this symptomatic of any track? And are you muting or soloing?