The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:28 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: My 1600 arrived today
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 11:48 pm 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: Jägerschnitzel
Machine type: AW16G
Hey to all you fellas who actually care about these Yamaha machines (I certainly do).

My #2 aw16g (I have one other used g [#3] which I've never done anything with) has developed the dreaded softkey boogaloo glitch so it's now not as dependable as it has been these last 3-4 years. Additionally, I've run into a glitch where two tracks - not inputs - are paired on my latest project!? There's no info anywhere on paired tracks (it's 3 and 4) other than the ones that Yamaha provides to the user - 9/10, 11/12 etc. So who knows what is going on here. Suffice it to say that tracks 3 and 4 are not operating independently on this tune. I had it happen on another recent project, too.

So I started haunting reverb.com for a used 1600 (for the USB feature) and found one recently at a reasonable cost. I once bought one of these from a bandmate but it never booted up successfully (there's probably several pages of dijonstock posts re: this issue). So now I have one that APN (appears normal - acronym from my monkey lab days, ha!). I note that it has some kid of pitch correction feature so I will be interested in tapping into that, as the vocals I sing myself need help.

So my buds ask me why I continue to invest in what is, charitably, obsolete equipment. Yer might well arsk. I just like the mechanical nature of the Yamaha boxes and the audio quality is better than perhaps I deserve. Plus I don't want to use computers - I do that enough already - for music. So there it is. It also keeps me checking into what you guys are up to in your various geographic areas.

Cheers, Randy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 2:21 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
congrats. you will appreciate the usb.

There are a few small idiosyncrasies about the way the file transfer process works, but they are easily understood with some practice.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:33 am 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
Hi Randy. I have wondered about a 1600 myself and dusted of my AW16G’s recently. They still work but i find the editing on the computer so much more convenient plus i have a bunch of software synths for which i need to fire up the pc anyhow. I recently found a Yamaha 02R and i connected to the pc via Adat. I was actually surprised at how warm this sounds and how much those preamps and compressors can keep harsh peaks at bay. Also a headphone mix now is immediately sounding right on any other device, like in the car and such. I keep the G’s and occasionally use them but i’ve migrated.

About the paired tracks. Have you tried pressing the select 3 and while holding that button pressing 4? You should get a popup asking you if you want to either pair or unpair the tracks. It’s possible you paired them by accident. You can pair any adjacent tracks on the G. I mention this just in case you didn’t know. I have no idea how well you know the machine.

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 7:06 pm 
Marker Magician

Good advice re the paired tracks.

With the 1600 it is relatively easy to get tracks off the machine and into a computer based editor. A bit time consuming compared to more modern gear, but way faster and more convenient than from a G.

I used the Grid recording feature many times. G does not have that. Makes flying in samples from the pads very easy. great for repetitive , recurring fills or percussion hits etc.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:20 am 
Tinhorn

Hey there, Dirk! I remember you well from my years haunting this forum.

I will test your method of un-pairing the tracks. I don't recall ever coming across this feature before, either in experience or in manual surfing.

Cheers!
Randy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:26 am 
Tinhorn

Byron,

I dunno; editing on a computer would seem to require a decent monitoring system to be worthwhile. I have some small JBLs as monitors for my aw16g's in the Kitchen Studio, but my desktop just has two Edifier powered monitors. Not at all bad for listening to youtube music, but that's noncritical listening for sure.

The appeal of the 1600s USB interface is in backing up work files and avoiding sneaker-netting music to my PC for distributing to my friends, posting on dijonstock, etc.

You can see how I've avoided the move to software recording for lo, these many years and cling to the studio-in-the-box appeal of the Yamahas.

No doubt I will be consulting you the first few times I attempt to use the USB feature, heh.

Randy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:09 am 
Marker Magician

I'm with you. It was my decision long ago to go with a standalone rather than get in to Protools etc. Latency was a bigger issue then and i decided if this was to be a hobby, real knobs and faders would make the experience more tactile and enjoyable. And music should be listened to first, and not be sidetracked by scrolling waveforms on a screen. I have not regretted it, but i have learned protools doing projects with a friend of mine in his studio. And the power and efficiency of platforms often makes jobs so easy to accomplish.

And I do have a computer in my setup, but I do not use it for tracking. And i do all my mixing in the box too. I use the computer, of course, to communicate with the aw and to assemble loops and import drum tracks to the aw, archive and backup files, edit specific tracks (wavlab) as needed, create mp3, burn discs etc ... I do not have my studio computer hooked to the internet. So I use a thumb drive to carry mp3 ( or other files) from the studio computer to my household desktop, and then email them etc from there.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 7:14 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
What I like about the USB is the ability to save my master track to computer versus burning a disk to get a song. You can also save all your tracks individually and store them on computer. I've only done it once thanks to Byron and it was easy (sorta). I'd switch to a Tascam DP-32 SD, but learning a new machine from a different company isn't something I'm ready to do. But I have a great youtube lesson in about 12 or so videos that explain the function of the Tascam. Watched several of them, and decided to keep what I have . . . . for now.

rz-land

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:34 am 
Tinhorn

Ron,

Yep, I think the USB will be a bonus (when I get to it). I think CD-ROMs are an endangered species and I've already stocked up on the Taiyo (a bit). I still have three working aw16gs (two with softkey issues) but I'm glad that I finally have something that is not dependent upon media that is getting harder to find.

But I echo Byron in adhering to a box that has some tactile, physical controls.

Cheers,
Randy