The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:36 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:57 pm 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: home made tortillas
Machine type: AW4416
hi there guys and gals,

i hope all is well and you have been able to slog through this pandemic without incident ...

with all the extra time on hand, i have been able to focus a bit on some production aspects but have run into something that's puzzling me ...

can the virtual tracks be changed/reassigned as a scene changes on the 4416 ?

for example : recorder scene 2 has 5 tracks recorded ( rec tracks 1 thru 5 / all v-tracks at position 1) then when you change to scene 3, it has 5 tracks ( rec tracks 1 thru 5 / all v-tracks at position 2

i've tried a couple different things but cannot get the v tracks to follow the scene ...

any ideas what i'm missing or way to make this change occur ? ...

or is it how it is ?

thanks for any insight you can give ...

Casu Marzu for all ...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:19 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
I have never experienced this. Is there performance data recorded on Vir. 2? When scene 3 is called up,

I am guessing that you have tried to call up scene 3, then checked that indeed the virtual has indeed been switched, then reset the virtuals to v 1, then saved the scene again, then tried a recall. Do the virtuals still change after you have done that?

I'll do a little bench test and get back to you if i learn anything more.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:15 pm 
Marker Magician

pg 203 0f the 4416 manual lists what can be saved/assigned to a scene. Virtual is not on the list.

I had a look at the project that i am currently working upon on my 2400. I have utilized virtual tracks as the project developed, but my earliest scene was all on v 1, on all tracks. When i call up that scene, virtuals do not revert back to v1. They stay where they were set in Scene 5.. So it seems that your description does not jive with my test on a 2400.

Specific to a G or 1600, I would not use scene changes during mixdown , as I did on the 1600 trying to "automate" the mix down. Such a process is plagued by inconvenience. Tweeking Levels (or any parameter) set in the first scene of such an "automation" would need to be tweeked to match in any subsequent scenes. Kind of doable and logical with fader levels or perhaps turning send/return EFF on/off as a mix plays back. But as you develop and finetune EQ and DYN thresholds etc. it becomes tedious and there is lots of potential to miss an adjustment. for example, if you thought a DYN compressor needed to be more aggressive for the whole performance, then you might lower the threshold and perhaps give it another notch up with makeup gain. If you did that in Scene 1 and then you have 3 more scenes following you need to make threshold and makeup gain adjustment in all those scenes.

the Tempo map, such that it is, calls up exactly what was saved --- except changes to virtuals, (at least on the 2400) it seems. (Pg 203 of 4416 manual)

The 4416 has Automix I do think ??. Automix on my machine is not capable of adjusting virtuals, on the fly. Let us know what you discover!!!

On the pads on the 1600 I do recall, if memory serves me correctly, that a scene change will successfully reassign the loop that is loaded to a pad.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:44 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
I was always under the impression that virtuals were non existent unless brought up and just for safe keeping.

rz-land

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:34 am 
Marker Magician

The virtuals tracks are very useful, for sure. The virtuals are not safety backups of tracks that have been recorded (if that's what you are meaning by "just for safe keeping"). Rather they are specified storage slots, eight of which are linked to each track. The user is able to assign which virtual storage slot will be used to record signals from the inputs and send that for playback via the LR bus. Great for storing multiple takes in the search for the "best" take.

While most parameters are stored for later recall via Scene memory, the assignment of virtuals is not part of scene memory. That is what the original question was about.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:36 pm 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: home made tortillas
Machine type: AW4416
good morning,

after a bit of review, the virtual tracks cannot be assigned to change with a scene ... :roll:

yes, i am working with the automix which is a great feature that does allow edits and changes to be automated in the mix but it does not edit or change the v tracks ... the work around is to cut the v track i need and paste it on an unused main mix track ... problem solved ... kinda

the automix is great for when other musicians want to take a stab at the mixing process ... i can easily open up a new mix and let the drummer sit at the console to do the work on a clean slate (moving faders and twisting knobs is pretty intuitive to most musicians, the aw4416 layout is basic once explained) ... he can then make a full stereo mix that he hears "what he wants it to sound like" ... then let the singer do the same, then the bassman, guitarist ... etc ... i go and have coffee, stand by for questions and advice ... when they have completed their mixes, i give them copies to critique and request written notes/edits .... it gives them a sense of being able to be part of the production process and creates good vibes in the studios ... we've done this with a few clients and it works out well ... some do not care to be involved, just want a finished product ...

be well my friends and prayers to our Ukrainian brothers and sisters

PUTIN SUCKS !!!