The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:15 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:31 am 
Harry the Spaceman

Favourite food: small children
Machine type: AW16G
Okey dokes. Now that I have taken the next step and am connected; is there a software Control Surface out there? Something that I can use to change parameters and turn things on and off with via my laptop?

Reaper is already a fairly good sequencer, I am looking for a bunch of buttons and knobs in a program that I can assign to channels and CC messages...

If that makes ANY sense, please help? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:19 pm 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
http://www.behringer.com/BCF2000/index.cfm

http://www.behringer.com/BCR2000/index.cfm?lang=eng

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:26 pm 
Harry the Spaceman

Thanks MSG, I'm particularly looking for a software version though thanks. The G is working fine as the Hardware Control Surface.

Perhaps you could give me some pointers in my other post on building my own Software Control 'Box'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:15 am 
Professor Emeritus of BovineCompostology

Arthur, Arthur, Arthur, why can't you be happy with a hardware control surface like the other boys and girls?

A quick review of the Reaper features suggests two things
Quote:
Piano roll MIDI editor with velocity, pitch, and CC controls

Quote:
Configurable shortcut keys

The answer may lie within Reaper although the configurable shortcut keys may pose a challenge if the reaper is expecting an external midi keyboard to provide the interface. I'd do a help search within reaper and see if you can develop macros and assign them. Given that the program has a virtual keyboard you might have some success as most virtual keyboards can be triggered by a standard computer keyboard. As another thought, contacting cockos may initiate the development of such an interface.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:47 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Now you guys are now way above me. When I want something to happen in a sequence I either hand play it , use an arppagiator (usually hand played vs. a patch ) or record a midi event by simply playing it into the sequencer. I can set up to 16 midi channels of separate midi sequencing in each of my hardware sequencers. (the Triton and Motif) they in turn are synchronized by either the laptop running MMC or the 4416's MMC. I can manipulate the hardware sequencers just like editing a G. Cut , copy , paste are all tools of the trade even in a hardware sequencer. Because any human performance can be transmitted by midi to another instrument , the subtile art of "programming" a human performance on a piano roll (although it can be done) is nearly impossible . It would take a mind much more intellegent than mine to manipulate swing , quantizing , velocity , aftertouch , pedaling , leslie switching , etc. to program a performance from scratch. I find it much easier to just play into the sequencer and edit the mistakes as I go.

msg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:48 am 
Harry the Spaceman

It's ALIVE! BWA HA HA HAAAAAA!!!

I managed to get the Ox to track the CC messages from my Behringer DSP2024P and now I have a graphical interface built for my Cathedral Effect!!

Anyone who owns this very black box knows what an a blessing it is to have labelled sliders in Windows instead of anonymous knobs on the Behri.

Once its worth looking at, I'll post it for anyone who is interested. I'll also be building a controller for the Pad Track Faders on the G and my Parametric EQ (which has a terrible interface)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:28 pm 

Are you sure you're not taking the long way about this, it seems like most of this is built into Sonar, and it would seem that the Reaper may offer the same. But if you gotta do it I understand, it will get you a higher status in MIDI HELL!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:17 am 
Harry the Spaceman

Heya Mr Bill

I may be missing something, but at least I can build my own interfaces now. Let me fill you in on what you have achieved, then I'm all ears on what I may have missed.

In the project I have just finished, I am now able to graphically control the parametric EQ in my feedback destroyer from my PC. Anyone who has seen or owns the Behringer FBQ2496

will know that the single Jog Wheel is a disastrous design for accessing the Equalizer section.

Now if you take a look at this screen shot:

you will see the Windows Interface that I have built to connect to the hardware. I don't see any other way to get a Control Surface out of Reaper?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:20 am 

Very cool Art, nice job. I looked at some old notes and the the most advanced I got with sonar was to record fader movements from the G and have sonar play the fader movements back, a work around for not having motorized faders. Does reaper have a console view? If so than it's reasonable to think that the virtual faders could be assigned to whatever you wish.

I'm really retiscent to get involved with reaper, I really don't want another piece of software to learn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:35 am 
Harry the Spaceman

Yeah, look having a humble budget, Reaper is the only legal option for me. The $39 licence gets me non commercial rights and free upgrades until version 2.99.

It supports Busses, VST, VSTi, does envelopes for full VST automation and has an okay Midi Sequencer.

Can't beat that for R280 (South African Rands). Anything else in this space is just far too expensive for me.

The VST's that ship with the product are really not very good and there is no Reverb, but I downloaded some good free ones, so I am glad that Reaper was born.

If you got Audacity or Protools or Sonar, whatever the case may be, then you are already sorted. Reaper may be a step down for you.

Reaper doesn't have a console view. Not that I have found anyway. :)

I've nearly finished building the Controller for the DSP2024P FX unit, its going to be wonderful to be able to access easily readable sliders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:06 am 

ArtKau wrote:
Yeah, look having a humble budget, Reaper is the only legal option for me.

Well, in that case, what you've done is really cool Art. To build what you need rather than just going out and buying the tech, it's pretty respectable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:40 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

I too am impressed with your achievemet. How about how to article ?
I use an FCB1010 midi footswitch to control all my Behringer (and non-Berhringer) effects units as well.

msg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 3:01 pm 
Harry the Spaceman

:oops:

Wow. Thanks very much guys. I was well chuffed with myself of course, but your opinions are highly regarded!

I'd love to write this up as a how to. Once you have the basics down, you can build any kind of surface / interface you can dream of. Will get to it asap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:42 pm 

Riddle me this Artmandu...

Can you now make reaper see your eq (or any other given device) as a plugin, via the interface you developed? How about saving the virtual settings on the EQ or feedback gizmo?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:07 am 
Harry the Spaceman

WHOAH NELLIE! :)

At this point the EQ interface is totally isolated. It stores its slider positions in the Windows Registry and 'pushes' those settings to the EQ Unit on load and on change. Thats as far as this pony goes for now. No linking into anything else. Wouldn't know where to begin on that one.