The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:20 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: ball park vocal settings
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:20 pm 
Dude

ok... so i say to myself, "self, you know what you want to do but how do you do it?" Once i came to the realization that I could turn to a forum based on my piece of equiptment soley turned me into a constant lighbulb of questions!!

Not that I want to sound like that bubble gum sound that you hear on the radio... but my vocals are lacking that... well umph.. to be considered ok.
I want tips tricks advice comments (hoosker do's hoosker don't's) and or any advice other than search this forum.
I have been considered lazy by some and worthless by others.. but when it comes to music production, I have always done enough to be demo quality. With the G16 in my hands for a solid 2 weeks, I feel confidant enough to say that this machine has the tools to do make a monster out of me!

It seems to me that double tracking is the key to getting a depth of field. But is this b/c that's all i've ever known?
It someone has a huge flash light, and could shed some on me that would be perfect!
Bottom line: how to get that stereo sound for vocals?
and cut!
thanks
GT :?: :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:24 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
As great as the G is, it's not an all encompassing machine. Yes, you can either record yourself singing twice and do some pan seperation, a little eq, maybe compress it and go from there. Others have copied the vocal track, pasted it to another track and offset it by maybe 20ms to give it a spacial effect.

However, with all that said, having some outboard effects such as a tube type preamp, maybe something like a Voiceworks, some outboard effects like reverbs and the like are nice to have. As time goes on and you continue to build your studio, add pieces to get different sounds and feelings from your music.

rz-land

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:24 pm 
Dude

all in retrospect, this is valuable tid bits of info. The music industry is like a dice roll in which you could practice all day to throw a snake eyes but when it comes down to it bubba takes your money when you rolll a 4!
I guess what I'm getting at (besides my 3rd cup of cofeee) is that theory is great but trial and error is better.
External pieces are the way to go, but when I have a new to me multitrack recorder, all i want to do is multitrack!.
Thanks, i will keep these objects in mind when someone decides to upgrade to something else.....cause that's the only way I get equiptment.

Poor house bluse!
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:57 pm 

taubuzz wrote:
Thanks, i will keep these objects in mind when someone decides to upgrade to something else.....cause that's the only way I get equiptment.

Poor house bluse!
:lol:

Yeppers. Me too. I usually sell what I have to upgrade to the next best item.

Must be a TN thang!

rz-land

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:25 pm 
Dude

i don't know if it's a tn. thing but "shure" is a cheap thing. Then instead of actually getting to record quality, you have to spend weeks trying to find out if it's a channel or a cord that has a short!
pawn shops... gotta love 'em.
Being so close to nashville and you memphis, I'm sure someone gives up the dream every 20 seconds which is a blessing in diguise for us "music vultures"!

viva la elvis and his wanna be crownies!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:48 pm 

taubuzz wrote:
i you have to spend weeks trying to find out if it's a channel or a cord that has a short!
pawn shops... gotta love 'em.

For me it's all about ebay!

rz-land

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:28 pm 
Dude

hey i was trying to take the best of bothe world. I recorded on the g 16. I then ewanted to take the track over into cool edit and do some tinkering. I couldn't get the tracks to open up.
Any ideas here?
gt

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 7:06 pm 
Guitar Ho

Machine type: Other - please inform admin
When you say "take the tracks over", I assume a PC, but how did you try and get them there? EXPORT wav files to CD? Backup in 2816 mode and use AWE?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:00 pm 
Dude

sorry, i could have been a more defining. i follow p. 132 (manual) directions to export wav files. I think i set all my parameters correctly. I choose 1-16 even though all tracks are not recoded on. I then execute export. It does its thing, and then it spit the cd out(which i think it should).
Then it said no media. I figured that was b/c the cd was out.
So I took it to the cpu to open up....and there i was waiting as if i was at a ride in disney land! The disc ytried to read and i had to end up shutting my coimputer down to bea ble for the disc to eject.
I thought it might be just this computer but i tried a laptop and another computer as well.
I have tried to do this one other time and i got as far as to the disc saying the files were corrupt when it was finally opened.
The long route i guess is to mix to stereo and blah blah.. but it would be great to do it as it says. Sorry for the novel.
any help would be apreciated.
keep on truckin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:10 pm 
Guitar Ho

Machine type: Other - please inform admin
Quote:
Then it said no media. I figured that was b/c the cd was out.

That's what I was looking for. It had a problem with the disk and spit it out part way through. It never got to finalize the disk so no computer is going to be able to read it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:17 pm 

Make sure you are burning at the 4x rate. That might make a difference.

rz-land

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:17 pm 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: Curry
Machine type: AW1600
Quote:
It seems to me that double tracking is the key to getting a depth of field

It does thicken up vocals but unless your real good at it it also helps to make the words less intelligable. There's some nice effects on the G like the "Early Reflections" effect. This is a room emulator pretty much and simulates the sound of your voice (or other instrument) bouncing off the walls but without reverb. You can set it to hard left and right and it really helps to thicken a vocal.

Also, try a short reverb with a long pre-delay and low diffusion.

Make sure your using effects as "Send and return" and not as inserts.

RobH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:03 pm 
Dude

thanks for the response guys....
If there was in fact a burning error... will I be able to erase this disc in the 16g or is the disc hopeless... or better yet: track less.. (ok that sounded better in my head)
what would be the defining difference as to using the effects as send and return as oppose to inserts.
I know somewhat of the difference, but unsure as to how you refer in context.. if that made any sense!?
i will check all of these issues and get back to the forum soon.
Thanks again