The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:28 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:52 am 
The Reverend

Favourite food: cheddar-lol
Machine type: AW16G
Robbie et. al.,

Was there ever any talk or follow up regarding a 2006 CD, or was it to much of a hassle :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:01 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
I didn't get permission. :?

The frustrating part is that it was NOT the wife who stopped me :cry: :cry:

:lol:

Just kidding a bit.

There were some ideas about distribution: downloading songs and booklet. But first, I know exactly how it goes. Or better said: doesn't go. But more importantly I feel there should be a physical Comp CD, something that is distributed and can be held in one's hand, a limited number of identical copies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:41 pm 
The Reverend

Favourite food: cheddar-lol
So there still might be a 2006 version in the works this year once the switch over to the new hosting service happens?

I was perusing last years' CD comp posts and it seems like you had a submission deadline in place by March...

Just looking for info....Thanks... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:39 am 
G-crazy

Lads, I'm afraid I've been a bit out of the loop, but I do have a new G-tune waiting... all 11 minutes of it... if the "CD Comp 2006" idea ever takes off. I'd sure like another dose of the CD Comp, though. I suspect that the experienced G-folks have been doing some great stuff, better than ever, and our many newer folks (1600 & 2400 users included) surely have some original stuff to share. Ah well, maybe I'm just dreaming.

I just wish I had the time now to do it myself; I don't, but I'd be happy to share the expense and tons of ongoing moral support. Come to think of it, I might be able to help with writing the CD pamphlet at least. Well, I'm here if anyone else starts dreaming, too.

J.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:44 am 
Tenderfoot

Machine type: AW2400
I think the compile is a great idea as it helps G people communicate and learn, whatever their level. I'd love to contribute but, as far as compiling it, I'm afraid I don't have enough forum cred or the ability or resources to do it justice. I would be able to help financially or with some of the work but postage from here is a bummer 5 Euro per item.

Cheers
GM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:59 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
guitarman wrote:
I'm afraid I don't have enough forum cred

I disagree. There are no such things as ranks (yeah well... text under your name LOL), and certainly not determined by the number of times someone opens one's mouth.

Ability or resources are a different story, of which resources are most important. I'd rather have a poorly produced Comp CD that comes from the heart, than a smooth commercial level "product".

What I could do is set up a paypal account, do the compilation CD again and sell the CD's for production cost. In fact, anyone could do that. I would be happy to pay what it cost me last year (per piece) to get a copy. I know how much I spent in total on last year's comp CD and it's only logical not everyone is prepared to do that, so a Paypal construction is a good alternative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 7:58 am 
Tenderfoot

Robbie,

by cred I mean that G folk who send their beloved creation around the world want to know something about who they entrust it to and what can be expected. By way of example, I recently sent something to Geno , and was very comfortable in doing so, because he has established himself here.

As for abilities, I know how to produce a single song but I haven't put together a compilation before and know that the contributions would be of varying audio level and quality. The only production resources I have other than the G are my ears. I certainly wouldn't want any contributor to be disappointed with my first efforts. So maybe next time as my experience builds - just not in my comfort zone yet???

As for payment , you, or others, certainly shouldn't be out of pocket other than for some time. If someone is willing to take this on, I would be quite happy to be a "sponsor" and contribute the cost of part of the production eg the CDs and cases, cost of printing inserts, copying costs, or whatever for a run of say 100 or more doubles. If we could get a number of sponsors, then the receivers could pay a set, nominal amount to cover postage. The distribution could then be wider than contributors for those forum members who haven't yet the confidence to contribute. I think this would also get around the sale/copyright issue since the CD would certainly contain some covers.

Thanks
GM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:43 pm 
G-crazy

Great to hear from you guys. Robbie, nobody else here can match the quality of your past efforts, but I agree with you--'from the heart' matters. A simple comp disk (or 2), with a simple typed page of credits, is all we need. We could even use paper CD covers to lower postage costs. At least for me, it's just the music I want to hear!

GM, I'll match you as a sponser to split the production costs, and I'd be glad to type up the song credit sheet for everyone. I'd sure like to see this thing fly--if anyone has the interest, time, and knowledge (yeah, track level balancing and all that) to put it together. The PayPal account idea works for me, Robbie. Good idea.

Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:28 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
I'm in on helping defray costs. If you need help designing a cover or helping with the layout, I'll be glad to work on some ideas. Gee I might even have to record something. :shock:

rz-land

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:31 pm 
Guitar Ho

Machine type: Other - please inform admin
Looks, guys, many people that would otherwise be capable have their own projects going on. I have two major projects, plus my son's work and Geno has his commemorative project, for example, while others have their own personal work load.

So, speaking for myself, it's not that I haven't heard...I just can't commit to the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:52 pm 

DCinFrance wrote:
Looks, guys, many people that would otherwise be capable have their own projects going on. I have two major projects, plus my son's work and Geno has his commemorative project, for example, while others have their own personal work load.

So, speaking for myself, it's not that I haven't heard...I just can't commit to the time.

Ok, so does that mean you could start the week after next? :wink:

rz-land

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:11 pm 
Guitar Ho

:lol: I'd be lucky to start this time next year!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:17 pm 
G-crazy

Hey, DC. That's no prob at all... as long as you buy a copy for yourself and, if possible, submit a song. We may be able to put this thing out collaboratively late this year or early next if we have enough people to handle the basic production tasks and costs. Thus far:

Split basic up-front costs:
me
GM
RZ
Anyone else?

Type up a basic song-note page:
me

Design cover:
RZ

Postage and handling:
Anyone who orders a copy (we'd need to rough out a #)

I think "the simpler, the better" should be our motto in every decision if we can get this thing off the ground.

J.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:24 pm 
Guitar Ho

Really, J, it seems that it's a matter of cost, and maybe for some that's true. It's a matter of time...and for me, I've committed myself to other people as opposed to putting myself on to a comp cd. However, given everyone agrees, we'd be happy to put up one of the NiceStock Tapes tunes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:35 pm 

DCinFrance wrote:
Really, J, it seems that it's a matter of cost, and maybe for some that's true. It's a matter of time...and for me, I've committed myself to other people as opposed to putting myself on to a comp cd. However, given everyone agrees, we'd be happy to put up one of the NiceStock Tapes tunes.

You see . . . we're back in business!

rz-land

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:09 am 
G-crazy

Way to go, DC! Your compromise offer will certainly fly if we do get things rolling. A big thanks to you~

J.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:03 pm 
Tenderfoot

Great response guys.

DC - fully understand time commitments are heavy for some. After your generosity with Nicestock and the followup work I'm sure no one would expect you to have any spare time.

While I don't think I could do the project justice technically, I have reached the stage where I am confident to contribute. Some may not yet be but hearing what others are doing provides encouraging feedback.

Some great suggestions Jeffree - I like your enthusiasm. I do think the finished product should have a presentation that reflects how serious and proud we are here of our efforts. Cost is not an issue for me. I'm quite happy to spring for double plastic jewel cases with divider and the printable discs that will go in them, up front.

Where to from here? We need a project volunteer and then to estimate the run size and project costs.