The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:12 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: CCD 2006?
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 11:59 am 
Master of Logic

I was giving this some thought last night. The task of putting the CD together, copying, and distributing it seems to get bigger each year and there is no reason why this trend shouldn't continue next year.

I was trying to think of some equitable solution so that we could have our CD without landing all the work onto one person. I came up with this:

The 2006 G-Spot Compilation CD Kit

This would consist of:

* High bitrate MP3s of all contributed tracks for download
* Artwork for labels and boxes
* PDF of the booklet.

Each person who wanted a copy could download all these materials and put the CD together themselves.

Obviously the work of co-ordinating the contributions, designing the artwork and putting the booklet together would still fall to *someone* (or, possibly several someones), but this might make the task less mammoth.

As I say, just an idea. What do you think?

I will use my robot hand for good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 6:05 pm 
No More Coasters!

Machine type: AW1600
You know,

that's a really good idea that would transfer the burden of work and cost, to each individual who wants a copy, although dial-uppers would be inclined to take a pass given the slow transfer times and long downloading time involved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:16 pm 
Ranch Hand

Machine type: AW16G
This sounds like a good idea. I am looking forward to obtaining my copy of this year's compilation, but from even just reading the postings about it, it has whetted my appetite to submit a candidate for the next one. Although, from the reviews I've read, I think I have quite a way to go to measure up.

From the sounds of things, if it continues to grow it will become too much of a project for one person to handle, even if it is that affectionate, big bear of a man named Robbie. Again, . . . thank you, THANK YOU, and THANK YOU again, Mr. Robbie.

As for the music being available on line, are any of the tracks on the 2005 edition on the "Share Your Music" thread?

Post subject: Re: CCD 2006?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:49 pm 
Poco fan

Drum wrote:
I was giving this some thought last night. The task of putting the CD together, copying, and distributing it seems to get bigger each year and there is no reason why this trend shouldn't continue next year.

I was trying to think of some equitable solution so that we could have our CD without landing all the work onto one person. I came up with this:

The 2006 G-Spot Compilation CD Kit

This would consist of:

* High bitrate MP3s of all contributed tracks for download
* Artwork for labels and boxes
* PDF of the booklet.

Each person who wanted a copy could download all these materials and put the CD together themselves.

Obviously the work of co-ordinating the contributions, designing the artwork and putting the booklet together would still fall to *someone* (or, possibly several someones), but this might make the task less mammoth.

As I say, just an idea. What do you think?

We'll have to use computers? :?: :?: :?: :(
Is there a manual? :?

http://www.beccaandchuck.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 7:30 am 
Guitar Ho

Machine type: Other - please inform admin
In principle, yeah, but I hate what MP3 compression does to music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:38 am 

Favourite food: Sushi
Yeah, but in essence the same could be done with uncompressed wav-files... but those will take forever and a couple of days to download :wink: .

I think the idea is a very good one, Chris!

And I'm sure, that with some additional thinking, there will be a solution around which suits everybody - maybe even offering mp3s or wavs to download, so everyone can choose the quality over size or the other way 'round.

Great thinking, Chris,

Michel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:01 pm 
Tinhorn

GOT a ton of fresh new material, all kinds of Weird shit, just say the word

DEX

Post subject: Outstanding idea
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:40 pm 
The General

This is a great idea. To piggyback on the "clearing house" concept and some other concerns.....maybe we can all pitch in for some FTP space and post .wav files of our contributions, then the clearing house volunteers could do whatever it is that they plan to do.

I transfer .wav files via FTP with Ross all the time. My complete songs (mixed down to a stereo ..wav file) are usually 35-45 meg and take about 10-15 minutes to download or upload with a cable broadband connection.

Those who do not have a broadband connection would probably still want to use the snail mail method, but we could still cut back on (a guess) half of the manual effort.

Count me in for helping with the 2006 effort. I'm becoming halfway decent mastering on the PC.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 10:18 pm 
Spacemonkey & Superstar

Favourite food: Marmite/beans/toast
Gary / Drum- You are right...IMHO its the only way to go -

Robbie's efforts stand by themselves

What Robbie did with the compilation (not to mention the costs) were herculean....

Personally I post pretty much everything on the "share your music" thread - and would rather it didnt go any further than here.

I reckon getting some ftp space is a good idea (no not you Robbie!) - we could all get together and contribute.

choose a song - get it into different formats - do the bizz with the pics (*and vids!!) - we could do the costs based on space - you want space for vids then you pay for space on vids etc.....

Nothing to stop us.

Selah

Dickie

Post subject: Even Better
PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:30 pm 
The General

sleepless wrote:
Gary / Drum- You are right...IMHO its the only way to go -

Robbie's efforts stand by themselves

What Robbie did with the compilation (not to mention the costs) were herculean....

Personally I post pretty much everything on the "share your music" thread - and would rather it didnt go any further than here.

I reckon getting some ftp space is a good idea (no not you Robbie!) - we could all get together and contribute.

choose a song - get it into different formats - do the bizz with the pics (*and vids!!) - we could do the costs based on space - you want space for vids then you pay for space on vids etc.....

Nothing to stop us.

Selah

Dickie

Dickie/Richard/Sleepy,

Well stated and I like the "pay for space consumption" philosophy.

Gary/Bartman/Zute

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 10:18 pm 
Boot Polisher

Well here's my 2 cents on cutting down the monetary aspect on one person. Put the MP3s, cover art, PDF insert online for those who will want to download it that way. Those who cant but want a CD or those who just want a CD can by a CD sized shipping envelope go to the post office and get it stamped for the amount of shipping with their return address. Mail to the person in charge of CD shipping, and they can mail the CD to you at no cost to them. Alls fare($) that ends fare($). Get it? ($)fare($). Just my 2 cents. It's always logical cents though. Haha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:35 am 
Lava Boy

Favourite food: Varies
Sounds like some very good ideas there gents.

I can not imagine the amount of man hours for one person to put this together like the one Robbie did.

I do like the idea of posting both MP3's and Wave samples for download plus the mail option for those with dial up.

The way gas keeps going up I may have to give up DSL and cable.....we have been skimming by the skin of our teeth and with gas prices tripling and heading higher I have nothing left to cut.

Somehow I have got to get some time in on the G to at least get one song completed for submission.