The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Crash on Import from USB
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:40 pm 
Boot Polisher

Favourite food: marzipan
Machine type: AW2400
Hey all
Just wondering if anyone has this issue, Im trying to import 24bit 48khz stereo audio tracks via USB. It works on some files and other files it starts the import, you see the hard drive going but then it just stops and the whole machine is locked up apart from the tracks/mater/remote bottons still move the faders
At that point I have to switch off and on the machine there is no way to un-freeze the machine.

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 7:05 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
I've never tried to import a 24bit file. Not sure if that's the cause or not.

rz-land

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:14 pm 
Marker Magician

Not sure, as I have never had this specific problem. but here are a few things to note.

This first comment is perhaps beyond your state, ie. a "next step" issue. But FYI 24 bit files will not show up in "Import from USB" list if the current song is not itself 24 bit ( and perhaps 48 mhz too?). this of course assumes you were able to successfully import them to the transport folder in the first place. which is maybe the issue you are currently faced with??

More towards your current situation is the question, how full is your transport folder? I have had situations where an error message is generated saying that there is insufficient room to complete an import (ie copy to the transport folder from the PC). Cleaning out the transport folder of unnecessary or "old" files has relieved this condition. But, I have never had the machine freeze under these circumstances though. So ???

I have had no experience with a frozen machine, as best i can recall.

Are all the files you are trying to import the same size (mb). from the same project?

Perhaps you can clarify for us whether the offending files are already in the Transport or if the problem is getting them into the Transport, in preparation for import to a project within the 2400 Song List.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 7:47 pm 
Boot Polisher

Songs are showing up in the transport folder fine..

The song is the same depth and sample-rate as the project file and the audio im trying to import will preview and play but Ive had audio crashing which was 16bit and 24bit crash mostly on playback.
I was able to start import and the HDD light is ticking away until it stops and looks like it gets stuck constantly on HDD light then.

The files are of varying types and some seem to import fine! wired eh ?

I think my hard drive (SSD) is about half full, ill check :)

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:31 am 
Marker Magician

There is little history within this forum of "frozen" drives. Perhaps it is related to the SSD???

A half full drive seems not to be an issue, usually.

Have you Optimized the projects in the list?? Perhaps this might help organize the structure on the drive ???

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:00 pm 
Boot Polisher

It would help If I could remember which file it was that crashed it and which project. at some point ill import a file and it will crash and ill try optimize, it makes sense what you say and may be a/the solution I hope. I imported my last WAV file fine with no problems so interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:15 am 
Boot Polisher

Interesting importing 24bit files again and having same problem, SSD/HDD light Freezes on import via USB it does look like it tries to import the song.
cold switch off the AW2400 and then I did "Optimize" even though its a new project and has nothing in it to optimize ?
Then went import again and this time it imported! ? What ?! lol

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:32 am 
Boot Polisher

Looks like your trick worked ill try another tommorow :)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:49 pm 
Boot Polisher

Ok another update.. I had problems that were not solvable by doing "optimize" so what I did was re-render my drum tracks I wanted to import into yamaha from my software (superior drummer) and just changed the length and added a bit more time at the end of the song. Strangely that sometimes fixed the issue, it was a new WAV file.

So what the hell is going on with that I don't know ?! I am wondering if the SSD is an issue so I will surely make a backup right now, the only crashes I have had are on Import.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:03 pm 
Marker Magician

I would suspect the SSD card too.

Whatever advice i gave to Optimize was never intended to suggest a fix. Optimizing is a good habit, I believe, to keep files "organized". Following Optimization the "redo" list is eliminated so the project file is "tidier".

What are you importing to the transfer folder >> individual WAV files Track by Track, or a folder containing all the WAV track files, in a single transfer?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:30 am 
Boot Polisher

Hey :)

Im importing just single tracks like stereo drum tracks in 24bit 48k sometimes it works other times it does not and half the time optimize does nothing to fix the issue, what I do is go back to my drum program and re-save the audio file but with a bit more or less blank audio at the end, then it works finally after a while. so its very strange.
But the reason I say about the Optimize is I found doing this sometimes fixed the import problem, I have had 1 crash on saving a project too and I freaked out over it but then after that I clicked Optimize and it fixed the project!! which it had said was corrupted. I may switch to a laptop hard drive at a later time which are fairly quiet!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:23 pm 
Marker Magician

Rixsta wrote:
Hey :)

Im importing just single tracks like stereo drum tracks in 24bit 48k sometimes it works other times it does not and half the time optimize does nothing to fix the issue, what I do is go back to my drum program and re-save the audio file but with a bit more or less blank audio at the end, then it works finally after a while. so its very strange.
But the reason I say about the Optimize is I found doing this sometimes fixed the import problem, I have had 1 crash on saving a project too and I freaked out over it but then after that I clicked Optimize and it fixed the project!! which it had said was corrupted. I may switch to a laptop hard drive at a later time which are fairly quiet!

It may be the size of the file that is the bottleneck. 24 bit creates bigger files, as does 48 K . I have very little experience using the 48 K option, but the file sizes would increase again. Maybe the processor in the AW, or perhaps from the sending unit get overwhelmed??? The fact that you shorten the file to achieve success may suggest my thought ???

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:43 am 
Boot Polisher

I think there were no crashes before the SSD! so today I am transfering all my data onto a 2.5" 250GB laptop hard drive to try that in the machine instead of SSD it looks promising so far as Ive not had a crash I thought maybe it was the adapter but it may be the SSD after all, luckily the laptop HDD is much quieter than the original 3.5" HDD anyway which is what I wanted. I wonder if the problem is to do with SSD and Trim ?