The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:10 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: mic input
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:11 pm 
City Slicker

Favourite food: curry
Machine type: AW16G
Hi Guys
I don't seem to have anything registering on the mic xlr socket on my 16g anyone have any clues 2nd xlr works fine
Cheers

Post subject: Re: mic input
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:22 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Not as familiar with G as other models, but I assume the the two xlr inputs also have 1/4 inch as well??? Perhaps a combo jack ( I guess i could read the manual !!!!)? If so, does the 1/4 inch work on that channel?

Also, I am sure you did some trouble shooting, but make sure you rule out a cable or microphone issue by bench testing the channels using the same cable and mic on both. Sometimes the obvious gets overlooked.!!

Also make sure you are looking at the meters for the Inputs, not the tracks. (Monitor button) Input signals show on the tracks only when the input > track path is armed, ready to record. Again, obvious to experienced users, but could be overlooked.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:43 pm 
City Slicker

Thanks for your quick reply i used same mic and cable in input 2 xlr and it's fine 16g is only xlr on channels 1 & 2 pressed monitor button and all channels seem to have same settings moved down the list by repeatedly pressing monitor button and had weakish signal on Init and a signal on stereo went back to top of the list(on/off) and suddenly seemed to get a signal showing on the monitor it's about 1/2 strength of input 2 using same mic and cable and I couldn't get any more by adjusting the trim

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:20 pm 
Marker Magician

I would check the screens that shows the entire signal chain for the input in question. There are actually two such pages. They differ in a couple of aspects, but both control related functions.

First to check >>Press and hold the button of the input you wish to see. A page will pop up showing the signal chain. There is a virtual dial on this screen to adjust input level on its way out to the stereo bus. Make sure that reads 0 dB. Adjust with jog wheel to restore it to zero dB. This may be your problem. ( this virtual dial can also be controlled by a fader, if you assign a "Fader Flip", Track > Input, using the Preference screen. Probably best to leave this alone. Fader Flip is very handy for some applications, but for your purpose the jog wheel would be the best to use, I think.) Sometimes when you get pushing buttons things get adjusted and then become a "hidden" aspect. this screen is the only place to adjust that parameter, I think, so make sure it is at 0 dB

second to check ( and a likely culprit ) is the ATTenuation control. this can be viewed using the View button, to see the complete signal chain of any track or input. The ATT control is at the very beginning of the chain. This allows up to a -96 dB cut (attenuation) It should, for most circumstances be set to 0 dB. This knob can more easily be viewed on the EQ screen for each individual track or input. Sometimes when you are using EQ adds, you need to dampen the signal going into the EQ somewhat. that is why the ATT knob is made visible on the EQ screen. Perhaps it is set to a negative number for the delinquent input??? See page 92 of the G manual.

Try these two suggestions.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:33 pm 
City Slicker

Thanks for taking the time to explain in simple terms it helped me a lot.
The input level was low and adjusting this solved the problem, I also checked all the other inputs which were all over the place the Attenuation control was OK though.
Thanks again for your help

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:00 pm 
Marker Magician

glad you got it solved.