The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:02 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:08 pm 
Boot Polisher

Favourite food: marzipan
Machine type: AW2400
Hi

I was just wondering as im going to use an interface like the RME UFX or Prism Orpheus with the AW2400 via ADAT.
Is it possible for me to use my device not only for recording the 8 channels of audio but also will the Yamaha play back through the ADAT out and into my Interface ?

Thanks
Riki

Edit: image resized

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:15 pm 
Marker Magician

I am going to guess not. But I could be wrong. I do know that the slot on the 2400 cann accommodate a variety of cards. I use a WAVs y96k card. I provides ADAT in and also some very good DSP capabilities. but the other cards available include cards that can give additional outputs options. so perhaps your ADAT card will give output options ???? I know my y96k card does not..

Once you have recorded tracks to the 2400, are you intending to mix them on that platform (the 2400)? Or are you wanting to use a different platform for the mix process?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:31 am 
Boot Polisher

Ok thanks for that,
Yes I will be mixing mainly on the 2400 with no PC or Laptop, my card is the MY16-AT Adat 16in/out

btw I don't have an interface yet but am thinking about the Prism Orpheus which I know is quite a high end device but im sure it will upgrade the sound.
Anyway Looking at the settings I found this..

I wonder if I set it like this that would make
Stereo L -> channel 1 ADAT output
Stereo R -> channel 2 ADAT output
Then I could route the sound to my playback system from the interface

Ok well thats my hope lol :D

Edit: image resized

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:18 am 
Marker Magician

I now see (even though i use the patch screen regularly myself) that the ADAT is indeed labelled I/O, so perhaps you are thinking correctly ?? I think that your question might warrant a call to Yamaha Tech, if your first try does not yield exactly as hoped or expected.

Let me know what you discover.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:46 pm 
Boot Polisher

I hope im thinking correctly as this would be great to experiment with audio out from a high end interface, will see if there is a difference in sound :)

Riki

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:18 pm 
Boot Polisher

It worked, I ended up with the RME UFX II but the AW2400 outputs fine I can set stereo out left and right for my monitoring.
Only issue is that the metronome does not play through this which is annoying.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:02 am 
Marker Magician

I realize you are utilizing adat, but FYI, Metronome also does not go out the analog Stereo outs on the 2400, only Monitor outs.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:59 pm 
Boot Polisher

Thanks Bryon :)
I expect I can use the monitor out when begging a new song, recording it with the metronome and then later on once the timing is ok switch to using the interface. problem solved!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:38 am 
Marker Magician

You can also record a permanent click on a guide track. Unfortunately the AW click is not record-able, but you could send a click from another device, at the proper tempo, to the AW and record it.

That might require a bit of editing to make sure it is perfect. It is often impossible to start the recording perfectly simultaneously. Just delete any unused samples from the beginning of the recorded click track. Use the Track>View screen to display the wav of the click. Set to the SAMPLE level it is easy to determine how may ms need be deleted to get first click to line up perfectly with the Start . don't forget to set the Tempo Map to match and then your editing will be greatly more efficient and accurate.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:33 pm 
Boot Polisher

Thanks, I just thought that since im not using the stereo out or the other outputs I could re route them back into an input channel with a jack lead and thus hear the metronome ,of coarse it would use up a recording track tho I guess.
I tried to see in the manual about how to put a space in the start of a track or remove some but couldn't get it to work, just wondering how you did that ?

Actually think Iv'e got it ill try and see.

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 3:26 pm 
Marker Magician

Use the EDIT button. You can Delete or Insert. You can do this by measure, according to the set tempo, or by time, measured in ms. If Inserting to create a space, be careful to specify that you do not want to insert OVER. You can calculate required ms. by viewing the wav form (Track button) of a reference track and calculating the time between the Start 0:00 and the first sample of recorded of wanted data. Then use this number to line up tracks if necessary.

I have also used this method also to adjust (primarily) drums or bass tracks. If you have a take wherein the player has perhaps been following the beat during their overdub, rather than staying on top or leading, then deleting about 3ms at the start of those tracks can create a "push", by moving the track ahead in time, in relation to the tracks the player was listening to during the overdub. Depends on the performance, of course, and the feel you create by such small shifts in time.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:45 pm 
Boot Polisher

Thanks loads, I seem to have sussed it out thats cool, I had to specify the length of recording I wont to move etc for some functions which you helped me realise.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:39 pm 
Boot Polisher

Bryon

you mentioned about the y96k card, I know its hard to find and there is one in the US online which I can't afford yet but what I want to know about this card is does it give you the 8 seperate channels of ADAT as well as the effects ? or does it just get routed to a stereo track ?

Thanks
Riki

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:05 pm 
Marker Magician

8 more channels of input. You are able to specify for each if they are to be ADAT or HOST,

If host is chosen, each of the 8 on the card can be inserted on a Track(s)- (mono or stereo) or an AW input or to an Aux bus. The Wavs bundle, resident on the card, are very good. I use them all, except i do not use the Tap delay very often, but the brickwall limiter is super as is the verb, once you get used to it. I find good use for the de-esser too. And the compressors work well too.