The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:59 pm 
Boot Polisher

Favourite food: marzipan
Machine type: AW2400
Hey all
New here..

I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas of Class-A preamps that have ADAT connection I can plug into my Yamaha aw2400 recorder ?
I know there is the Audient ASP880 which looks great, that would probably fix my problem right there and Im guessing that they would work well with the Yamaha via my ADAT card.

Also I was wondering if I should instead buy converters and preamp seperately, eg a 8 channel-converter with ADAT in then mix and match my own preamps into the converter. so Preamp -> Converters -> then AW2400. Im guessing dedicated devices may be a little higher quality in general but not always.

Thanks
Riki

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:31 pm 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: home made tortillas
Machine type: AW4416
hi rixsta,

there are many stand alone preamp/converters that would work just fine for your needs ... focusrite, apogee, presonus, behringer are a few to investigate ...

find one that suits your level of use and budget ... i have used the behringer ad8000 in the past but upgraded to the presonus which may (or may not) have been an upgrade ... both rack mounted preamps locked in nicely to the aw4416 and i haven't had any issues with either unit .. the aw2400 is similar in design features

good luck

mark

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:46 pm 
Marker Magician

I use an M-Audio "Octane". an older piece of gear that has 8 pres and is able to connect via analoge or ADAT > y96k (Wavs) card. This works well for me, allowing me to have 16 inputs. I use it for remote recordings, from the floor. I had to re-teach myself the config settings a few times, as i don't use it regularly for 16 all-at-once. But now I know enough to set my card to look for ADAT ( not Host) signal and all works well.

Note also that on the 2400 you can bypass the on-board pres on inputs 1 and 2 by utilizing the insert point, (available only on 1 and 2). You only want to utilize the return, so plug the patch cord (a Tip-Sleeve will work for this) in only as far as the first click. You can see the block diagram at the back of the manual for a visual. Also pg 28 of the manual.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:30 pm 
Boot Polisher

Hey thanks for that, Mark & Byron

Thanks for the info about onboard pres, so I plug in my preamp into the insert plug ?

Also I have looked into various preamps + USB interfaces over time and I posted a question here in another post about, can the AW2400 play back through my interface (prism RME etc) via ADAT out ? so music does not play through and out the monitor or stereo out but out through the ADAT into my soundcard.
Or is the system record only using my interface of choice ?

Riki

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:33 pm 
Marker Magician

Yes , on the 2400 there are insert points on 1 & 2. These are wired send/return. their primary job is to send signal to an external box (verb, compressor etc.) for processing and return that signal back to the 2400, into the input chain from which it was sent. You would use a TRS plug on one end, going to dual TS plugs on the other end of the patch cord. One goes into the input of your external box, the other take the out put back to the 2400.

But, in your case a TS cord on both ends (a guitar cord) works. Plug that cord in only as far as the first click (ie not in all the way, but firmly engaged). This taps the 2400's circuitry, putting you back into the input's chain but with no signal coming from the AW pre itself. I would make sure that the 2400 input is turned all the way down though, as technically it is still the head of the chain and perhaps may colour things if it's gain is high. Safe to dial it right back as there is no signal coming from either of the input's holes (1/4 inch or xlr).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:44 pm 
Boot Polisher

Thanks loads for that, that's really good to know incase I find a nice 2 channel preamp to experiment with. some of the Pre's by that company ART look good and not too expensive!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:18 pm 
Marker Magician

You of course not need to utilize the both at once. A single pre could be utilized by itself on either 1 or 2.