The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:12 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:14 am 
City Slicker

Favourite food: pizza
Machine type: AW16G
Hello. Hope I can get a bit of assistance here.

I'm trying to do an auto punch on my AW16g. I've set the input to track as normal for recording, set the "in" and "out" for the punch in/out location and activated the auto punch button.

It seems to have erased the "in/out" section but no signal got recorded to the Punch in/punch out section. I hear it fine in the phones, the input and track in "monitor" are visible so, I really don't know whats happening. Any ideas would sure be welcome. This project can really benefit from using the auto-punch function!

Thank you, AW16g user,
Phil Donovan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:43 am 
City Slicker

All set, figured it out. I accidentally set the digital input to "stereo" as oppossed to "1/2" as usual.

Sorry bout that!

Thanks,

Phil

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:35 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Glad yu got it to work but I am interested in your situation. I am unaware of any relationship between the "digital in" setting and the autopunch procedure. The digital in setting controls the ultimate destination for digital signals sent in from outboard gear, in my undersatnding

What was you input source for the punch in? Guitar, vocal ?? What inputs were you utilizing?

Your success, attributed to the change of the digital in setting, I'd guess is coincidental. but i would like to be educated if my guess is erroneous. the fact that your region was left blank following the punch in bears further investigation.

I leave my digital in setting on "disable". You say your digital in is set to 1/2 usually. If so, the G is directly routing signal through inputs 1/2, which can either be connected to a track for capture during recording (punch in in this case) or if set to "stereo" sent directly to the stereo bus to be utilized in a real time mixdown.

Tell more about your findings. I am going to read in the manual to discover the picture.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:59 pm 
Marker Magician

Page 161 of the manual describes the "digital in" setting options. If it is set to 1/2 (or any pair of inputs) , those input jacks are disabled, as the machine is set to utilize those inputs pathways to bring digital data in to the machine.

If you were doing a punch in, attempting to input your voice or guitar, through the designated inputs, then the path would be blocked, in my reading of the manual.

I will do a bench test to see what happens as the digital in is altered, but the sure fire way of avoiding digital in issues is to set that patch to "disable". It has nothing to do with the punch in function, but may have come in to play for you, depending on the setting and the input you actually selected to accomplish the punch in.

A guess here, but perhaps the pathway is interrupted when you actually record during punch in, as opposed to the punch in rehearsal operation ???

a new mystery to solve!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:26 am 
City Slicker

Hi Byron, thank you for getting back to me. And yes, it was as simple as not bringing the S/Pdif signal into the right place. I seemed to be monitoring it but not recording it to the assigned track as expected.

I have another terrible issue that just cropped up tonight. I recorded guitars on trk 1, 2, 3 (channels were split for mono tracks) After I recorded the next guitar to track 4, it seemed to be joined with the track 3 fader. Fader 4 had no control over it but tracks 3 and 4 are now both controlled together on fader 3. I tried another recording onto track 5 and same thing. Its joined with fader 3. At first I thought it was a trk 3 and 4 pairing issue but I had separated them before I even began the project.

Have you come across this problem? I tried going into undo, bring it back before the problem, shutting down the AW16g and starting it back up. Same thing. I cant make it stop now. So disappointed, I was hot on a project.

If you have any advice I'd be so happy to hear it.

Thanks Byron. I'll be back shortly. I hope you are too1

Thank you,
Phil Donovan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:48 pm 
Marker Magician

Got your message. Not sure i have encountered this. but something in my memory says something similar happened some time back, on my 1600. Can't be sure though. these machines have been remarkably reliable for me over the years.

In your case >> have you looked at the actual position of the faders on the VIEW screen? The actual physical faders are not primary. It is the virtual faders that actually control. there should be a dark bar, either above or below each fader in the VIEW>FADER image. This darkened portion indicates that the virtual fader is linked to the physical fader. If it does not appear then the physical slider can be adjusted but the volume will not be affected, UNTIL, the physical fader passes the virtual volume level >>> dark line appears >>> and you are in business with the virtual volume control once again linked to the physical slider.

This aspect is one of the main drawbacks to utilizing scenes on the G and 1600, as was discussed in another thread. ie. >> call up a scene in the middle of a mixdown and you might lose physical control of one or more sliders. If you need to ride that fader as the mix continues (remember scenes don't morph)then your effort perhaps will not go, until you actually use the VIEW>FADER screen to re-link.

So, In your case, check that VIEW>FADER screen first. Some other ideas ??

Do you still have control of tracks 1 & 2 ?

You can use the EDIT>COPY or MOVE functions to relocate tracks, in order to trouble shoot.

Make a copy of the whole project in the song list and see if the copy behaves the same way.

Let me know what you determine.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:53 pm 
Marker Magician

As a further "resort to" you could make copies of the current individual tracks and load them into a new song (project). or

Start a new project and do some quick test recordings ( just with a mic will do) to see if the new song structure behaves as it should or if it perhaps too may have "control" issues. ????

If the new song behaves well then UNDO your test tracks and load in the tracks of which you made copies. ( you would do this via a CD I'd expect on a G ???) Now do the tracks behave well or does the problem replicate?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:34 am 
City Slicker

Thank you Byron very much for your fast replies. Its nice to have someone there to feedback on these things.

This is looking like a systemic issue, the fader 4 not being recorded to and not being reflected in "View/Fader". As a matter of fact, the length of the fader in this view has turned black, along the virtual fader travel.

Also, there is an asterick on the track 4 position seen in "Track/View", as if its indicating an issue with track 4 only.

I opened up another song I started months ago and all of these symptoms translate to a completely different song.

It also will act as if tracks 3/4 have been stereo joined, even when they are separated as indicated by the broken heart symbol.

I will do some more tech style troubleshooting but its looking like a system issue so far to me. Is my AG16g honeymoon coming to an end? Its been a good solid performer up until now, with the exeption of a few software glitches that I could resolve by standard means.

I haven't yet opened a "New" song. I'll do that next and see if these symptoms translate into the "new" song. I'm pretty sure I never messed with anything unusual on a system level. Just the good old direct recording navigation arming tracks for recording.

What I did start using that I never used before was "Auto-punch". I wonder if I got into any trouble with that. I know sometimes if you were to do something in the wrong order, or do a couple of simultaneous things that aren't compatible, you can put the machine into a lock of some sort. But, I don't recall doing anything out of the ordinary.

Thank you Byron, I wonder now if theres hope for my AW16g!

Phil Donovan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:55 am 
Marker Magician

You said, in an earlier description of symptoms, that you tried a recording to Track 5 and that it too linked with Track 3, as had Track 4, which itself was the first symptom. Is this still true? What about within the project that you had started some months ago? Is track 5 affected by the Track 3 fader?

I have never seen a fader "asterisk-indicated" in VIEW/Fader.

there is a list of error messages at the back of the manual that should be checked, but failing that, it may be worth a message or call to Yamaha tech support. Others have received some assistance in the not too distant past, re other issues. ???

Maybe a reload of the OS is in order?

There will be some sort of an explanation, I predict.

If you have access to another G, -- see if a song saved to disc from your failing machine can be loaded to the
other G platform and observe its behaviour there.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:10 am 
Marker Magician

You say you opened up a new song and the symptoms translated to that song.

Remember that settings (faders, EFF, DYN etc.)do not change when a new song is loaded, so you should try loading a saved SCENE or "Initial Settings" from the Scene List.

Perhaps you have done this, but you have not mentioned doing so. I'd recall Initial Settings from the Scene List, to observe. I should have suggested this in the first place.

Were you actually using AUTO Punch when the problem first presented? I have used Auto Punch regularly with no ill effect.