The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:32 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: high pass filter?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:20 am 
Dude

Favourite food: peas and rice
Machine type: AW1600
does the aw 1600 have a high pass filter preset? I see a multi-filter but im not sure how to use it? any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: high pass filter?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:53 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
HP Filter is available on the Low Frequency band of each and every EQ screen. Use the cursors to get to the "Q" parameter ,within the Low band, on the EQ screen for track you want to filter. Then use the Jog wheel in a CCW rotation until HPF appears. at this point the "Gain" parameter will switch to ON-OFF. The HPF is preset to 125 htz. The frequency can now be controlled. It is a High Pass because everything above the frequency number Passes through. Frequencies below are rolled off. I think it is by -18 db/ octave. (No control of this rate parameter on the AW).

Very useful in carving EQ of tracks to sit in a mix. For instance, many time acoustic guitars need be filtered to reduce/control frequencies below about 250 htz. These frequencies get in the way of your bass guitar and your kick drum.. Often Male voices likewise benefit from HPF at a similar or slightly lower number. HPF on a kick or bass guitar might be subsonic with a number like 37.5 htz or 42 htz.

Some of the EQ presets may invoke HPF. Not sure if they do. To check I would recall the EQ preset designed for a kick (A.BD I think it may be called). If it does not invoke a HPF, then tweak the low slot as i described. You will be glad you did, as this is absolutely essential to mixing.

You can apply a HPF to your stereo track too, usually at a number below 45 htz, to eliminate some "mud".

EQ is a very much to personal taste, so experiment.

Post subject: Re: high pass filter?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:28 pm 
Dude

Favourite food: peas and rice
Machine type: AW1600
Excellent! I see exactly what your talking about! You Sir are a walking and breathing manual! :D
Thank You very much!