The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:25 pm 
Finds Manual Useful

Favourite food: Skunk Milk
Machine type: AW1600
It is not my place to comment on the merits of the yes vs no vote.

However, where i come from a double majority is needed for a referendum to get up. I.e. a majority of voters nationwide as well as a majority of states. It means that a yes vote less than 2/3 is not likely to win.

I was somewhat surprised at the result as i assumed that such an important vote needed such a slender majority.

But we are a very cautious lot, particularly when poĺlies talk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:27 am 
Greenhorn

Hi Oscar

I think the general consensus here is that no threshold was set for the vote, because our Prime Minister didn't think for one second when he announced the referendum, that he would lose it - i.e. that the Leave side would win. You might say arrogance. You might say a misjudgement.

He promised the referendum in the run-up to our May 2015 General Election - it was a promise essentially a) to keep the Eurosceptic back-bench members of parliament in his own Conservative party happy (there had long been a vocal element in the Conservative party who were very anti-EU) and b) to try to win votes back to his party from the UK Independence Party (UKIP), who had been gaining significant momentum and support over a period of several years. The result of the May 2015 General Election could have been very different if significant numbers of disillusioned Conservative voters had voted UKIP because of teh Europe issue and split the vote on the right. It might well have meant a Labour victory, or at least a Labour/left/liberal coalition of some sort.

In essence, he promised the referendum to win a General Election, but it was a significant miscalculation/gamble, which massively back-fired. Clearly, there was much more appetite among the UK population to split with the European Union than he believed. And he also didn't run a very good 'Remain' campaign.

Do you think this is fair T.Mac? Be interested in your take.

Cheers
Alex

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:11 pm 
Wrangler

Favourite food: food
Machine type: AW16G
This is a very interesting thread, and I am pleased that people are discussing the subject calmly.

I have been insulted and abused on social media (and once in real life by a complete stranger) because I voted leave. One "friend" defriended me on Facebook, several others are no longer speaking to me. This makes me sad.

The meme below pretty much sums up how I feel.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:26 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
cda wrote:
This is a very interesting thread, and I am pleased that people are discussing the subject calmly.

I have been insulted and abused on social media (and once in real life by a complete stranger) because I voted leave. One "friend" defriended me on Facebook, several others are no longer speaking to me. This makes me sad.

Up until now I have chosen to stay out of this thread. I shall not comment on the general subject as I am not well versed in the matter. I do believe, all things level out in time. That being said, my comment is based on the above quote. Here in the States, politics are evil. But more so are the voters. Or perhaps I should just say "haters". Nothing brings out the nasty in people like politics. My facebook book page is now a safe-haven to visit. But it wasn't like that always. Every morning when I would check in, there were fools pouring their hatred against the other party. Much like sports, if their team doesn't win, the world comes to an end. So, to get more order and peace on my facebook page, I have hidden every single person who makes a political rant towards either partly line. That means, they are still on my list of "friends", but I can't see them. I'll consider reinstating them after the election.

I wouldn't take anything personal with regards to someone finding fault with the way I choose my vote. No one has the right to force their preference on another. No one!

rz-land

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:26 pm 
Ranch Hand

Machine type: AW4416
cda wrote:

The meme below pretty much sums up how I feel.

Unbelievable that some people are behaving like that, I have read a few stories and heard some similar tales, completely beyond me !!
I agree with RZ that all things level out in time, regardless of the outcome of our vote it`s early days.

T.

https://tmacmusic12.wixsite.com/tmac

http://www.soundcloud.com/t-mac-12

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmCjAzN ... ture=watch

https://www.reverbnation.com/tmac

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:28 am 
Greenhorn

cda/RZ/T.Mac - I completely agree with you. Anyone being abused or insulted for their views is totally and utterly unacceptable. Any moral high ground that people on one side of an argument 'think' they have, completely vanishes the moment they use insults, abuse, fear or intimidation.

cda - I'm not surprised you feel sad. It is upsetting that some people, on both sides of the debate, feel that certain types of behaviour are somehow acceptable on social media. Its as if people's normal levels of decency and respect just go out of the window on the internet - like the internet isn't real life or something!

On the issue of the dramatic rise in racist incidents in the UK in the last month as a direct result of the EU Referendum outcome, I found the following article, published in The Independent newspaper this morning very disturbing indeed:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-racism-uk-post-referendum-racism-hate-crime-eu-referendum-racism-unleashed-poland-racist-a7160786.html

I can't believe this is happening in the United Kingdom in 2016. It shames us all.