The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:13 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:46 am 
Sodbuster

Favourite food: Curried Watermelon
Machine type: AW1600
Hi
Haven't needed to know this befor but the stuff I'm about to do it will be important to know.
I've looked in the search on topic and the good old Manual hasn't helped me.

The question! how to find how much space is on the Harddrive ? O should have said both 16G & The 1600

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:13 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
I will check on my 1600. The 2400 tells how much is left at the bottom of the song screen. I don't think the other models do this. Robbie always advises to add up the sizes indicated in the song list, and then realize that there is probaly more space used than the sum indicates, but it will be closest if all the songs have been optimized ( ie the process that dumps the undo list). I will get back if I discover anything when i look at my older machine.

Realize too that the G has a 6 gig song size limit. Not on the 1600 though.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:11 pm 
Sodbuster

Thank you Byron, interesting. Would be interested to know if you find anything.
I never used the optimise function, the reason is I was worried that it would limit any future work on a project. I had that problem with a Zoom recorder.
Any comment on optimising would also be interesting.
Cheers Graham...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:32 am 
Marker Magician

The 1600 does not show "Remaining Disc Space" field. So, get out your calculator and add things up

Optimizing is not hazardous to the future work-ability of the project, but it does eliminate the Undo List. So if you have need to revisit some move you have made in development, do not Optimize. But, if you want to maximize space Optimize is the best practice.

What are you going to do that will require large file size?? I have lots of experience with such and so could advise, should you want such intrusion.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:21 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
grahamosborn wrote:
Thank you Byron, interesting. Would be interested to know if you find anything.
I never used the optimise function, the reason is I was worried that it would limit any future work on a project. I had that problem with a Zoom recorder.
Any comment on optimising would also be interesting.
Cheers Graham...

Optimizing is a pretty important feature. True you'll lose that last take and all the takes you re-recorded over, but you're losing valuable hard drive. Instead of not optimizing, if you have a take you kinda like, but aren't sure, leave it and move that track down and bring up a fresh track. Again, not something I would do often, but those virtual tracks are there for your use.

I optimize once I am happy with my result. Before I optimize, I make sure I don't need the undo feature because I'm always doing something dumb like arming the wrong track and recording on it. Without the undo, I'd have lost something I needed. Otherwise, I am building up layers of data that will leave me less room. Back in the old tape days, you could record, rewind, record again, rewind, etc. The only thing you'd lose was perhaps some degradation to the tape. But no loss of data as there wasn't such a thing. Now, optimizing not only saves your drive space, it helps from potential crashes as well.

I vote for optimization!

rz-land

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:51 pm 
Sodbuster

This site is a killer. The people that take the time & effort to pass on there knolage are amazing.
Any enough of this grovelling, to answer your question first Byron the big project I'll be doing is recording a number of live 2 hour gigs of a 7 peace band I'm in useing my old G & 1600 *Midy linked.
*Midy is a brave new wold for me as I've only used it to drive a drum machine to make the click track more exiting. The tips I've got from my recent post, time clock vary and other stuff, has saved from jumping out of my basement window.
Hope linking the two units by the Midy will fall into place ok, yeeks.

I'm converted to optermising Mr Spamatior. Just a cuple of questions.
I'll loose the last take? If so how to prevent that?

I like every one like to put the work aside because you get song num, if you've opptermised I'm assuming you can still work on it when you revisit it, ie use all the machines tricks as normal?

Thanks & all the best from the land of Aus down under.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:31 pm 
Marker Magician

Optimizing will not lose the last take. It will eliminate all that was done before it though. the undo list allows 15 steps backwards. these steps will dissappear upon optimizing.

I have done as you are planning but with a 1600 and a 2400. For one big job, before i knew anything about midi, I simply started both machines at the same time, as best i could. Post production required a bit of adjustment to align the tracks, but that was easy to do. Midi works too.

If the machines are going to providing the signal for the Front of house, then do't forget the slave will have to send signal to the master, so the track count on the master goes down by one or two tracks, as the slave cascades into the master's inputs. Midi does not send Audio signal, just transport control.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:03 am 
Sodbuster

Thanks Byron. Have tried optimising. Very good indeed, should have done it long ago, all the backup CDs I've wasted on the G just backing up junk. Also the one and only time I tried backing up the 1600 to the PC it confused me with amount of little tracks/takes that appeared so I gave up and just backed up to CD I'll give it another go after optimising when I get a chance.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:05 am 
Sodbuster

[quote="Byron"
If the machines are going to providing the signal for the Front of house, then do't forget the slave will have to send signal to the master, so the track count on the master goes down by one or two tracks, as the slave cascades into the master's inputs. Midi does not send Audio signal, just transport control.[/quote]

Yes, front of house, hmmmm.
Not sure yet what to do, I'm thinking of just running the 2 x Left & Right outs from both units from Stereo Outs to 4 inputs in F/house mixer.
Would that work? Any one done it?

Or I as you advised sacrifice 2 channels on the 1600 which I can do, I will have tracks available on the G The down side will mean though extra 2 tracks to load back in the 1600.

Life's hard sometimes aint it..

Cheers...
rainy Saturday night in Sydney off to a Gig, not in the mood, rather be mucking around with the above.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:10 pm 
Marker Magician

Running four outs to mix desk would work I think.

You could make the G the master, so the slave 1600 would have the more tracks, if you intend to cascade the slave through the master.

Your idea is simple and straight-forward though.

What are you doing about stage monitors?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 1:40 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
There is a way to get the remaining recording time within the active song.

Press the song button repeatedly until you get to the setup menu. Select and activate "remain" in the counter display line.

This is different from the total remaining recording time on the HD as there's a song limit on the G: 6.4 GB per project. So you might very well find yourself in a situation where the remaining recording time within the active song is close to 0, but you still have more than 10 GB left on the HD.

BTW the remaining recording time depends on the number of channels you use for recording. The more channels you use, the less time there's left. The indication will take that into account - the moment you assign an extra input to a track, the remaining recording time will come down.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:17 am 
Sodbuster

Robbie thank you.
Ok, yep not the sharpest tool in the shed with this stuff so bear with me.
What are you like at being a math teacher?

So, the Remain number in the top bar is MB left in the song of 6.4 GB per song/Project.
Having trouble understanding the figure in the top bar, is that a MB number? there's 1000 MB to a GB? how does that relate.
The more I write the deeper the hole I'm finding my self in, Im having trouble framing my question, so if you could help by explaining a current song on my G's project/song it mite help me make sense of it.

The Remain 19.30
The Song 435 MB
of a total song capacity of 6.4 GB?

So there's 1000 MB to a GB, this is where I can't relate it to the Remain number?

The Spec's say! HDD=20GB
Max Cap per song = 6.4GB
Max songs = 1000 songs.
"Max 1000 songs"?

If you could help Mr Robbie Sir I promise I'll be a god boy and do my home work.

All the best from the land of Aus

Very wet in old Sydney town.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:08 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Hi Graham

I'm sorry it took so long to respond, I had to work on three exams in the last two weeks and still working on two papers.

Remain 19.30 means: 19 hrs 30 minutes of recording time left. If you connect inputs to tracks in the record screen it will relate the recording time to the number of tracks you're recording. If you do not have any tracks connected to inputs, it assumes ome channel (so one input connected to one track). When you connect more tracks to inputs you will see the value get smaller.

A typical CD is a two-channel recording of one hour, consuming about 600 MB. So, you could fit about two hours of one channel in 600 MB or about 20 hours in 6000 MB (which is about 6 GB). So the numbers are in the correct order.

The Song 435 MB means that the recorded song size for the current song now takes 425 MB.
of a total song capacity of 6.4 GB?

So there's 1000 MB to a GB That is correct. It relates to the remain number in the way described above.

Max 1000 songs means that the administration of the disc can contain the meta data for 1000 songs. If you make a huge number of tiny song you can imagine you will be able to get more than 1000 songs in the available 20 GB but the administration does not support that.

BTW the tiniest song is at least 9.5 MB per song. The metadata of a song takes that amount of space. Even if there was not administration limit, the disc would be full anyhow after recording 2000 tiny songs.

I hope this helps!

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:49 am 
Sodbuster

Hi Robbie
Just a thank you for your help, makes sense now, really appreciate the time and effort taken to reply.
I saw your post re studying to become a Maths teacher, dealing with block heads like me is good practice I guess.
Good luck with you exams & carrier change.

Ps Big night playing & recording night coming up in two weeks. The recording testing I've done linking the G & 1600 via MIDI seems to be working very well. After all these years these machines still amaze me.
Graham...