The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: AW16G Broken Button
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:42 am 
Dude

Machine type: AW16G
Just thought I'd share this. The mark button had broken of the huge button membrane in the AW16G, think thats why i got it for cheap money :)
Wish Yamaha had designed the button membrane to be in smaller sections like other manufacturers do..
Would have to replace the whole lot for one broken button.

See how long the repair lasts, maybe not use that button so much anyway.

I also tried a IDE SSD drive in there but as to be expected the AW didn't recognise it.
I have fitted a 160GB Samsung spin point drive in there though which works. Not sure what the formatted size has ended up as though, i did read elsewhere that up to 80GB is supported though not documented.
Im i right in thinking that there's no remaining hard drive space in the menus anywhere? (seems crazy to not have...) I did read there is a remaining time left function somewhere but that was mentioned for the AW1600, but maybe the 16G is the same?
Still got lots to learn about the box, definitely have to have a read through the manual.

Post subject: Re: AW16G Broken Button
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:09 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
Greetings. My you have sure figured out a lot about the G. The mark button can be an important feature. I never knew it was all one big piece. Perhaps you can find a salvage AW16G and put together one good unit from two. I don't think there is an indicator of remaining disk space. Depending on the songs you have, you can add up the mb total and that would give you an idea. I do believe there is a way to see how much hd is being recognized. I am not sure how, but someone should be along soon to tell you.

Get that thing put back together and let's hear some of your music!

rz-land

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:40 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
There is a way to get the remaining recording time within the active song.

Press the song button repeatedly until you get to the setup menu. Select and activate "remain" in the counter display line.

This is different from the total remaining recording time on the HD as there's a song limit on the G: 6.4 GB per project. So you might very well find yourself in a situation where the remaining recording time within the active song is close to 0, but you still have more than 10 GB left on the HD.

BTW the remaining recording time depends on the number of channels you use for recording. The more channels you use, the less time there's left. The indication will take that into account - the moment you assign an extra input to a track, the remaining recording time will come down.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:57 am 
Dude

Hi guys
Yeah, that button membrane is huge. Don't think I've seen a design like that so far and i do rip a lot of gear apart daily.
I can't find the part No. or it even mentioned in the service data. Not seen it on any of the exploded drawings either but maybe im just blind.
Not sure if Yamaha would even have any stock of these parts, looks like the plastic goes brittle over time anyway.
I heard you can fit up to a 80GB drive in there, though not documented. I fitted a 160GB samsung in there just to see what would happen, I'll pull it out and try to to see how much the AW has formatted it. If they designed the case different and had the drive mounted so it could be removed from the side in a caddy type affair or just a removable cover then it would be pretty easy to make images of the drive for backing up.
I've got a another 60GB drive to use in there now anyway, been having a rummage for 2.5" drives and found a few.
When i checked the remaining time it said 20:19 with the 160GB drive so that's a fair amount of space but there's only the demo song loaded at present.
So a really quick crunch of the numbers i guess we are at around 77 odd minutes with 16 tracks per song to hit the 6.4GB limit. Would imagine there's some overhead with other system data to go with that which would bring it down some what. Should be more than enough i would say.
Not much fun backing that up to CD though....
I wonder why they omitted some more informative drive stuff in the firmware, maybe they thought at the time musicians wouldn't understand it....?
Cheers