The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:48 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: zoom H6
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:47 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Anybody out there who owns or has used a Zoom H6 recorder? I am considering acquiring this piece to add to the arsenal.

Post subject: Re: zoom H6
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:58 pm 
Greenhorn

Favourite food: Pizza
Hey Byron. Can't speak directly at the H6, but I have one of its smaller siblings, the H1, which I got new for like $89 USD. I use it primarily for recording band rehearsals and to capture ideas when my songwriting partner and I are working on new tunes. On occasion, I'll import the wav files into the AW2400 and tweak 'em up a little. The H1 is no substitute for an AW machine obviously, but for what I'm using it for, I've been very pleased and impressed by the functionality and quality of the recordings from this little device.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:06 pm 
Marker Magician

thanks. Any other users out there?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:22 pm 
Ranch Hand

Machine type: AW4416
I maybe wrong (it has been known) but was`nt Dirk using this? or something similar I`m sure.

T.

https://tmacmusic12.wixsite.com/tmac

http://www.soundcloud.com/t-mac-12

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmCjAzN ... ture=watch

https://www.reverbnation.com/tmac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:59 pm 
Marker Magician

I did a search on this site. there are references to other Zoom product in previous posts, but nothing specifically for the H6.

On a related idea, I have an opportunity to record a fellow in a little pioneer church building (1850's) that is out in the country and left open for the public. It has but one service a year there, but the old fitting (pews, pump organ, books etc.) are there, along with a guest book and a donation box. a fellow got my name and we met there to explore the possibility of using the building to record his singer/songwriter material. His material was interesting and well presented, so we have a tentative plan to make the recording in September.

There is no AC power in the building, or nearby (within 250 m). I did test my AW1600, using a DC>AC converter from a car cigarette lighter. I am not sure how long a car battery would stand up with an aw1600 drawing. the inverter unit is rated at 175 w output , and the Aw specs rate the recording unit at 45 W. The Aw powered up ok and functioned etc. But ????? Anybody got any experience/ or opinion on using power with such an inverter?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:28 pm 
Ranch Hand

I would be careful Byron, it sounds a little scary to me.
Is there not a way to do a cable run hire, I`ve done it years ago but admittedly not that distance, more like 150 mtrs.
Good luck matey.

T.

https://tmacmusic12.wixsite.com/tmac

http://www.soundcloud.com/t-mac-12

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmCjAzN ... ture=watch

https://www.reverbnation.com/tmac

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:12 pm 
Adult.

Byron wrote:
I did a search on this site. there are references to other Zoom product in previous posts, but nothing specifically for the H6.

On a related idea, I have an opportunity to record a fellow in a little pioneer church building (1850's) that is out in the country and left open for the public. It has but one service a year there, but the old fitting (pews, pump organ, books etc.) are there, along with a guest book and a donation box. a fellow got my name and we met there to explore the possibility of using the building to record his singer/songwriter material. His material was interesting and well presented, so we have a tentative plan to make the recording in September.

There is no AC power in the building, or nearby (within 250 m). I did test my AW1600, using a DC>AC converter from a car cigarette lighter. I am not sure how long a car battery would stand up with an aw1600 drawing. the inverter unit is rated at 175 w output , and the Aw specs rate the recording unit at 45 W. The Aw powered up ok and functioned etc. But ????? Anybody got any experience/ or opinion on using power with such an inverter?

Just keep the motor running. And have a full 5 gallon gas can with you...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:23 pm 
Marker Magician

I would agree the DC>AC sounds scary, but that may be just caution getting in the way. I will try to find the "real" facts if I can.

Meanwhile this might be just the excuse i need to get the Zoom unit. It can be acquired for $450 Canadian, taxes in. There are six channels, 4 with their own gain knobs and combo inputs (1/4 in and XLR). The main input is a stereo input, with its own gain. The unit comes with an x/y matched stereo pair and a mid/side array too. these units insert in a shoe and share a gain control. You can buy an extra unit to fit the shoe that would give two more combo inputs, sharing that gain. also you could buy a shotgun mic, primarily for video work. It handles (active) instrument level and line level inputs. There is limited number of processing features (normalize, limit etc.), a mono speaker for previewing, a stereo out, headphone out, usb out to interface with computer. It runs on 4 AA alkalines "for up to 20 hrs" ??, and writes to a memory card up to 128 gB. (16 gB comes with it). Reviews are decent, with caution to realize it is what it is.

I want it!! But how often would i use it?? I can think of a lot of uses, but I wouldn't want it just to lay around. I already have some gear like that.

Decisions, decisions ...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:27 pm 
Marker Magician

stettoman wrote:
Byron wrote:

Yes i have thought of that. The car could be kept a a distance. Not sure how long of a power cord run would be advisable.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:51 pm 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: home made tortillas
Byron wrote:
stettoman wrote:
Byron wrote:

Yes i have thought of that. The car could be kept a a distance. Not sure how long of a power cord run would be advisable.

i wouldn't be able to do that in my neighborhood .... :-k

someone would come by, see a started car, jump in and drive away .... with an aw4416 being dragged at the end of a 150' extension cord ..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

but in theory, the car and converter should work fine as long as the extension cord is a heavy duty type ...

there is also the option of a nice quiet generator and power conditioner :-k

mark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:28 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
The AW16G uses somewhere around 45 Watts of power. That would be around 4 Amperes at 12 Volts. The efficiency is not 100% so let's assume it's 5 Amperes. You should be able to use the G for around 2 hours without any problems. That would theoretically consume one fourh of the total capacity of the car battery.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:17 am 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Best to get your answer from existing users!

REVIEWS

rz-land

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:28 am 
Marker Magician

Thanks Ron. The H6 seems to get high praise from quite a variety of users, for both straight audio and for audio capture in video applications.

I will certainly keep you posted if I go ahead with a purchase.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:13 pm 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
Machine type: AW16G
Hey Guys,

Sorry to have been so absent lately. Busy with other stuff that can't be ignored.

I do not use an H6 but i have a Zoom R24. It works ok but the preamps a re no match for the AW16G however.
I do use a BOSS Micro BR to make recordings in the field with a couple of Rode NT2-A's attched to a small mixer. I'm very impressed with the results.

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble