The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:45 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:39 pm 
Adult.

Any of you Brit, French, Netherlanders, Belgians, Germans or Swiss, if you happen to see a blonde 16 year old wandering aimlessly in a People-to-People polo shirt between July 7 & 26, he may well be my boy Dylan. He's been working his tail off for the last six months to earn his way there and takes much glee in beating his parents to Europe.

Approach with caution! He may ask for something to eat, preferably cheese and chocolate. BE YE WARNED!!!! Should you feed him he WILL ask for more and may not want to leave.

We hope he has a great time, and we are way proud. Dylan has Asbergers, and we never believed he'd have it in him.

His itinerary:

DAY 1 DEPART FOR LONDON

Meet your fellow travelers and board your overnight flight to Europe.

DAY 2 WELCOME TO ENGLAND!
YOU ARE HERE: LONDON, GREAT BRITAIN

After meeting your delegation manager, begin your journey at one of London’s most memorable and iconic sights—the Hampton Court Palace. Take some time to explore this beautiful and historic home of King Henry VIII.

DAY 3 DISCOVER LONDON, PAST AND PRESENT-DAY
YOU ARE HERE: LONDON, GREAT BRITAIN

A British guide will join you for a full day exploring London’s most important and historic sites.

Visit Buckingham Palace— residence and office of Britain's monarchs since 1837—to see the colorful, musical Changing of the Guard ceremony.

Discover the infamous Tower of London and learn about the creepy torture devices used on prisoners more than 400 years ago. Keep an eye out for the mysterious ravens that haunt the tower, and meet the iconic Beefeaters who protect this important historical landmark.

End your busy day on a high note when you attend a glitzy West End theater show—London’s Broadway equivalent. Past shows viewed by delegates include Wicked, Lord of the Rings, and Mamma Mia!.

DAY 4 ENGAGE WITH A POLITICAL LEADER
YOU ARE HERE: LONDON, GREAT BRITAIN, AND CAEN, FRANCE

Soak up panoramic views of London from 443 feet above when you ride one of the world’s tallest Ferris wheels—the London Eye.

Discuss modern-day politics during special access to a representative of Parliament to understand the respective roles of the House of Commons, the House of Lords, the Monarch, and the European Union.

Experience the elegance of Covent Garden in Central London.

Board your overnight ferry from Portsmouth to Caen, France.

DAY 5 TRACING HEROIC FOOTSTEPS WITH INSIGHT FROM A WORLD WAR II SURVIVOR
YOU ARE HERE: PARIS, FRANCE

Honor the fallen at the Normandy American Cemetery, the last resting place of 9,386 young soldiers who were killed in 1944 during the Battle of Normandy—an important battle leading to the liberation of France.

Meet and talk with a surviving witness to World War II—a rare opportunity to gain insights into the past.

Receive a warm Ambassadorial welcome from the mayor of Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer.

DAY 6 THE LOUVRE AND VERSAILLES - A DAY TO REMEMBER

Enjoy a guided exploration of one of the most impressive art collections in the world at the famous Musée du Louvre. See the most famous parts of the museum and come face to face with Leonardo's masterpiece, Mona Lisa.

Discover Chateau de Versailles—one of the most luxurious palaces in the world.

Explore the Hall of Mirrors and stand in the very same place where the treaty ending World War I was signed.

DAY 7 SEE A WORLD-FAMOUS CITY FROM 900 FEET UP

Divide into small groups to discover the historic Montmartre area, once known as a haven for artists such as Pablo Picasso and Vincent van Gogh. Marvel at the white Basilique du Sacre Coeur, which is the second highest point in Paris.

Journey to the top of one of the world’s most famous attractions, the Eiffel Tower, and admire dazzling views of Paris nearly 900 feet above the city streets.

DAY 8 CONTEMPLATE THE IMPACT OF WORLD WAR I
YOU ARE HERE: BRUGES, BELGIUM

Honor fallen World War I soldiers at the Flanders Field Memorial and explore the In Flanders Fields Museum—dedicated to peace— to better understand the devastation of war.

Pay your respects at the Menin Gate Memorial, inscribed with names of 55,000 missing British soldiers who fought in World War I.

Explore the charming and traditional city of Bruges by horse and carriage. Watch Belgian chocolatiers create their world-famous treats—and sample some, of course! Later, visit a traditional Belgian waffle-maker to see how authentic Belgian waffles are made—and enjoy some Italian gelato, as well!

DAY 9 GAIN AN INTERNATIONAL PERSPECTIVE ON PEACE
YOU ARE HERE: THE HAGUE, NETHERLANDS

Walk by the stately mansions and regal embassies of The Hague to the beautiful and lavish Peace Palace and the International Court of Justice—the main court of the United Nations

Travel like the Dutch—by bicycle—to explore Kinderdijk, a famous 17th-century Dutch heritage windmill park.

DAY 10 CRUISE THROUGH THE CITY OF AMSTERDAM
YOU ARE HERE: AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS

Go backstage to learn about a Dutch specialty—clog-making. See a live demonstration of this regional craft.

Understand more about the tragedy of the Holocaust through learning about Anne Frank and her family, who hid from the Nazis during WWII. See her hiding place and walk the same streets this young girl longed to go outside and experience during her confinement.

Later, discover the canals and bridges of Amsterdam—a city once underwater—during a guided canal cruise.

DAY 11 EXPLORE THE FAMOUS COLOGNE CATHEDRAL
YOU ARE HERE: KOBLENZ, GERMANY

Enjoy the wonderful city of Cologne with guidance from your delegation manager. See the famous stained glass windows and spires of the legendary Cologne Cathedral, which took builders more than six centuries to build.

DAY 12 TRAVEL BACK IN TIME AT THE CASTLE OF HEIDELBERG
YOU ARE HERE: HEIDELBERG, GERMANY

Explore the charming streets of Koblenz, then take a cruise on the Rhine River to see mysterious castles and learn folklore about the Lorelei—a huge rock rising more than 393 feet above the riverbank.

With expert guidance, explore the great Castle of Heidelberg, a castle that has been partially destroyed and rebuilt several times throughout its 900-year-old history.

DAY 13 TAKE ON A UNIQUE CHALLENGE: HEIDELBERG CITY QUEST
YOU ARE HERE: HEIDELBERG, GERMANY

Enjoy some well-deserved free time together with fellow delegates at the local swimming pool!

Join with friends for a fun City Quest adventure to uncover important landmarks in Heidelberg. Find the university, Old Bridge, and historic center of this enchanting town.

Prepare to meet with your German host family for your home stay.

DAY 14 COMPLETE CULTURAL IMMERSION
YOU ARE HERE: HOME STAY - GERMANY

Today will be spent experiencing local life and culture with a German family who will graciously open their home and share their way of life as you dine on traditional foods, meet their friends, and learn about their unique way of life.

DAY 15 BUILD FRIENDSHIPS WITH YOUR INTERNATIONAL HOST FAMILY
YOU ARE HERE: HOME STAY - GERMANY

Spend another day immersed in German culture with your home-stay family. Be sure to let them know how much you appreciate their hospitality—and don’t forget to leave them a thank-you note (and a great impression of Americans!).

DAY 16 ENVIRONMENTAL SERVICE PROJECT
YOU ARE HERE: FREIBURG, GERMANY

After a sad goodbye to your home-stay family, rejoin your delegation to take part in an environmental service project along the banks of a river in the Black Forest. You might plant trees or clear a riverbank during your environmental service project.

Later, learn how the famous German cuckoo clocks are made.

DAY 17 DISCOVER RURAL AUSTRIA
YOU ARE HERE: MONTAFON VALLEY, AUSTRIA

Receive a warm welcome into a rural Austrian village in the Montafon Valley.

Surrounded by the snow-capped Alps, discover the art of cheese-making. Explore the unique flavors of different cheeses when you go behind-the-scenes at this brand new facility.

Take a guided hike—amidst the Swiss Alps—to learn more about this beautiful land.

DAY 18 SLIDE DOWN A MOUNTAIN ON A UNIQUE ROLLER COASTER
YOU ARE HERE: MONTAFON VALLEY, AUSTRIA

Ride high into the Alps to enjoy some of the world’s most amazing landscapes, including glacial Silvretta Lake. Challenge yourself and cheer on your fellow Ambassadors during a mountain ropes-course adventure. Then wind your way back down on an awesome open-air roller coaster!

DAY 19 DISCOVER ZURICH - A CITY OF FOUNTAINS AND FINANCE
YOU ARE HERE: ZURICH, SWITZERLAND

Receive an Ambassadorial welcome from a Swiss official in Zurich before exploring this popular city—home to more than 1,300 fountains!

Take part in a history-scavenger hunt competition to learn more about the history of the unique sights in Zurich.

Oh, and the Stetto-Boy looks kinda like

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:39 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Should he want to stay a night in the south of the Netherlands we'll have a bedroom ready.

ECFAS-access and a proper meal included

(external cheese facility and storage)

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:14 pm 
Mr. Blues

Favourite food: Sauerkraut ;-)
Machine type: AW2400
Hi.
Sorry to hear that the young man will not travel to the north of Germany. I wish him a great journey through Europe.
Andreas

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:57 pm 
Adult.

Dylan appreciates the invite Robbie. We'll see if his keepers (cat herders) will cut him loose. Unless you have an endless inventory, I would suggest an armed guard on the cheese warehouse!

Andreas, I too am sorry he won't be visiting the north. Our family is Sud-Deutch (Riehle, Black Forest and Baden-Baden), and he is hoping to make contact with ancestral ties.

Apparently these kids are going to be on a fairly tight leash, but at the same time encouraged to make acquaintances. If it were me going there would be a lot of chasing going on...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:10 pm 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
That is just wonderfull. Even living in Belgium i'd be happy to take that tour myself. I'll keep an eye out.

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:11 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Congrats and well wishes to young Dylan. That looks like a most cool itinerary.

Don't worry if Dylan winds up at Robbie's house - Robbie knows where a good cheese shop is located. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 4:49 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

That would be here.

And you see... no red wax.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:18 pm 
Adult.

I'm still looking for a Leerdammer outlet here. Maybe the boy will--Naw, he'd eat it on the flight home...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:11 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

I have my own parking space here.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:50 pm 
Wrangler

Favourite food: food
What a great trip! He's going to have a great time!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:40 pm 
Adult.

We picked Dylan up at the airport last night, he's been sleeping now for 10 hours, no waking in expected for several more--He had the time of his life.

A couple of things that stood out for him, and the proof was in his luggage: A great hoard of Belgian chocolate and...

...from a farm on the outskirts of Amsterdam. 5 pounds total, from left to right: a cheese called 'Farmers Flame', exclusive to that farm, a parsley parmesan and the big one is Gouda...I would imagine there are myriad dairies in NL that craft their own cheese, and this one turned the boy off of Velveeta, perhaps for life--I sent him messages to look for a chub of Leerdammer for me (based on recommendations from a friend who lives there), but he didn't get the messages until he was in Zurich, and he said that the Swiss had no Leerdammer, and that the cheese in Switzerland "sucked" compared to the tastes he got in Amsterdam.

The kid had a blast, and is glad to be home...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:32 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Good kid. You raised him well, Stetto!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 6:38 pm 
Mr. Blues

Oh my god. Hope that there is enough cheese in Netherlands now for the hungry Robbie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:02 pm 
Adult.

Heh heh, yeah, he said that one of the kids asked when the red wax was put on--the farmer told them "There is NO red wax in the Netherlands, it was outlawed centuries ago!"

I almost choked on my tongue!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:28 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Exactly! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:45 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

He had a great time, made it home safely and he learned to love great cheese? Sounds like an awesome trip all around.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:39 pm 
Adult.

He came home quite a bit more grown up than I had expected too. He brought me a small bottle of sand from Omaha Beach. It smelled of sea water and he told me that he wept as he gathered it. He's a history buff but had no idea the effect the place would have on him. I'm going to build a display for him. He filmed ceremonies there and at Versailles and took over 2000 photos.

It's going to take quite some time for us to digest all the experiences he has to share, and they did so much in this three week adventure that his memories will blurt out of him like Tourette's.

He did say that, as much as he loved Germany and his home-stay family, he was perplexed by the lack of air conditioning ANYWHERE in that country!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:12 pm 
Mr. Blues

stettoman wrote:

He did say that, as much as he loved Germany and his home-stay family, he was perplexed by the lack of air conditioning ANYWHERE in that country!

Hah, he could be glad that he was not in Germany during the cold winter time. So he don't miss the heaters :-) :-) :-)