The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Bouncing tracks
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:30 pm 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
I have never bounced any tracks.

What are the practical uses of track bouncing?

msg

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:19 pm 
Wants You

Machine type: AW16G
Well I'm not sure how this applies to your music Geno but I often find myself bouncing sub-mixes (i.e., background vocals) down to one of the stereo pairs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:48 pm 
Boot Polisher

I do the same thing as Bob. Also, the drums take up 6 tracks on our stuff, so if I'm running out of tracks I'll bounce the drums down to a stereo pair, which frees up 4 tracks. Whenever I do a bounce I always save a scene of it. That way if I need to tweak it a bit it's pretty easy.

-Phil

But it does not

Fez - That 70's Show

Post subject: Re: Bouncing tracks
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:05 pm 
Tenderfoot

mrskygod wrote:
I have never bounced any tracks.

What are the practical uses of track bouncing?

msg

The short answer is to create more clear tracks....if you hacve used 1-8 and need mono tracks for recording, submixing some of the 1-8 to a stereo pair and freeing those tracks...WITH the knowledge that you'll then record over the orginal tracks and the submix is the last word.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:36 pm 
Boot Polisher

The new submix doesn't have to be the last word.

Whenever I record onto tracks that I've "freed up" by bouncing, I always switch to an open virtual track. That way, if I need to redo the submix, the original tracks are still there.

-Phil

But it does not

Fez - That 70's Show

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:58 pm 
Tenderfoot

TBPlayer wrote:

Whenever I record onto tracks that I've "freed up" by bouncing, I always switch to an open virtual track. That way, if I need to redo the submix, the original tracks are still there.

-Phil

I actually move the the submix to a new song and then have ALL the new tracks...but I was just trying to get to the historical "gist" of the matter...the way it was done...read the Beatles Abbey Road sessions...everything was bounced!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:02 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

TBPlayer wrote:

-Phil

And that's why you save that scene, too. If you have to redo the submix you just recall the scene and tweek as needed. No need to reinvent the wheel.

I submix because I'm just learning to record. I'll throw three or four mics on whatever I'm recording, take good notes, and decide what I like later. Submix it to a single or paired track. If I already have a bunch of tracks down before I go to do this I'll submix them to a stereo pair just to give me something to follow along to while recording on a bunch of mono tracks. A good track sheet helps to keep track of this chaos. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:36 pm 
Calf Cutter

Geno, as was posted above, I've found that bouncing and the paired tracks go hand in hand. Use single tracks, bounce to paired tracks as stereo mini mix, never found the need to complain about the G having only 8 single tracks and 4 sets of paired tracks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:11 pm 
Guitar Ho

Machine type: Other - please inform admin
There's downfalls to bouncing...like not noticing a problem until way down the line (especially when it comes to EQ). It's not all that easy to go back because often you need to hear things together...the last of the tracks that are ready WITH the drums being tweaked for example...to get it right. But overall, I love bouncing to free those tracks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:19 pm 
Tenderfoot

DCinFrance wrote:
There's downfalls to bouncing...like not noticing a problem until way down the line (especially when it comes to EQ). .

Imagine what it was like for Georgr Martin bouncing and erasing tracks...on what would become Sgt Peppers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:49 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
Bouncing tracks, as noted above, are great for making available other mono tracks. As Bob said, I also like to mix my backing vocals to one track. Or if I'm adventurous, I might do a nice panned harmony and bounce them over to a stereo pair. Also, you can do a guitar part, copy and move it and them place it on a stereo pair. All the while you can bring up virtual tracks, saving all the mono tracks in case you want to remix the bounce later.

Bouncing can be fun.

rz-land

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:01 am 
Wants You

..and make full use of the virtual tracks to save your original tracks. You can always go back and do a re-mix if you need to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:57 am 
Greenhorn

plus - though there are dangers in this - you can bounce applying an INsert effect & then freeing that engine up for other use !!!

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 5:55 am 
Tinhorn

Nice acoustic instruments -- guitars, mandolins, banjos (well at least some are nice instruments) dobros, seem to sound best when stereo miced. I've been recording them in stereo (two mics) fiddling with the two tracks, then bouncing to a paired track. Seems to work nicely.
Doug

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:59 am 
Has Been To Cheeseland

CC wrote:
plus - though there are dangers in this - you can bounce applying an INsert effect & then freeing that engine up for other use !!!

CC

Good point. It allows you to use more than two effects in the final mix without using them during tracking and being stuck with them. Track dry, apply an effect during a bounce...and on, and on.

I guess I don't see the danger though. Between saving scenes, the undo key, virtual tracks, etc., seems you can do whatever and always go back to before you did whatever and try again. :wink:

God I love this machine. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:32 am 
Greenhorn

JM wrote:

I guess I don't see the danger though. Between saving scenes, the undo key, virtual tracks, etc., seems you can do whatever and always go back to before you did whatever and try again. :wink:

God I love this machine. :wink:

yes you are right - as long as you up your VT count on the original tracks so you still have them - all is OK. It can get a bit complex remembering which versions are which - unless you take good notes. If I can I tend to up all VT tracks at the same time (which means may have some blank ones) as the mix versions change - say thru a bounce - wasteful in one respect but keeps things simpler (and I need to do that!) in another.

CC