The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:51 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Stereo Track
PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:07 pm 
Greenhorn

Favourite food: Pizza
Machine type: AW2400
Hi Guys. I know I've seen this topic on the site, but can't seem to hunt it down, so I apologize for the repeat subject. RE: the stereo track, as I'm experimenting and working my way through the manual I've noticed that if a previously recorded stereo track was longer than the existing stereo track, I hear the remnants of the first track at the end of the new stereo track. I'm not using any of the stereo virtual tracks. What's the best way to address this? Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Stereo Track
PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:09 am 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
I always use a virtual track and save the other take until I'm certain of which I like. I guess you could hit record play to erase the extended tracks. Or you could cut them out. I've not done it so I couldn't help you there.

I recommend bringing up a virtual and doing a new mixdown to stereo.

rz-land

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:34 am 
Marker Magician

Yes virtual tracks are useful to archive initial mixes. You don't often use the mixes from which you have moved beyond, but the practice provides an opportunity to reference. Sometimes when you build a song the mix gets cluttered, without you fully appreciating that evolution toward the "Wall of Sound" is not in the best interest of the song. Revisiting an early mix is sometimes an eye opener, causing you to back off some stuff, when you hear how open the initial mixes sometimes sound.

I also sometimes turn my panning scheme inside out, reversing many or all tracks. A new virtual will allow an A/B comparison.

You can move both mixes to paired tracks (a new song, set up for the purpose, is often convenient). Then you can do an A/B listen, without having to switch the virtuals.

Remember when you are using virtual tracks, the last virtual that was saved is the track that will be burned to CD should you do that. So always save the song before burning, if you have been tinkering with virtual tracks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:57 am 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Oh and one more thought. If you continue to redo take after take on a regular track and or a stereo track, you're eating up disk space like crazy. It's not like the old tape days where all you lost with each re-record was loss of sound quality. In this case, all the data stays on the layers and layers of takes. Therefore, when you are happy (and you know it) with a track, then do an optimize and then save. Otherwise, you may find yourself out of hard disk space with one song. OOPS! :shock:

rz-land

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:54 am 
Finds Manual Useful

Favourite food: Skunk Milk
Machine type: AW1600
erase the remnants of.the old.track at the end of your.keeper stereo track. the procedure is the same as erasing part ofa multitrack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:59 pm 
Greenhorn

Favourite food: Pizza
Thanks for the quick and helpful replies ... good information to use now and moving forward. Nothing like learning from someone who's been there themselves.

That brings to mind some favorite drivel of mine: The good guy in the story, "Our Guy" is walking down the street and falls in a hole. Tries to climb out, but it's wet and steep and it's just not going to happen. A priest walks by, Our Guy yells, "Father, please help, I've fallen in this hole and can't get out." The priest writes a prayer, drops it in the hole, makes the sign of the cross and walks off. Sometime later, a doctor walks by and Our Guy yells, "Doctor, please help, I've fallen in this hole and can't get out." The doctor writes out a prescription and drops in the hole and walks away. Finally, one Our Guys best buddies walks by the hole, and Our Guy yells, "Buddy, please help, I've fallen in this hole and can't get out." To Our Guy's surprise, his Buddy jumps down in the hole. Our Guy says "are you crazy, now we're both stuck down here". But Buddy says "don't worry, I've been down in a hole before, and I know the way out."