The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:13 pm 
Dude

Machine type: AW1600
Hi I search all the posts on here relating to this problem and found a couple but with not much help.
I switched on my Aw1600 to just a blank green screen and nothing else at all, left it over night and still nothing.

If you hold the utilty button when powering up it tell you the op[erating system but nothing happens past that.

On another guys post from a few years ago he said yamaha said a circuit board and someone else's post suggested his hard drive had gone but no definate replys were posted after that.

Had the machine 2nd hand for a few months and been great, from clean home/person i knew, good condition/boxed etc..

Anyone else had this problem and got a solution ? AW1600 not 16G

(WAS using it linked to a Aw16G via midi lead recording bands with great results, shame if its knackered)

cheers for anyhelp
ray

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 5:31 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
Welcome. Sorry to read you are having issues with the 1600. Did I understand the problem occurred during the midi connection? That would not be something I'm familiar with. If u just turned it on to nothing it could be the hard drive. I would unplug the unit for about ten minutes and try another power up. If that doesn't help you may want to format. If you don't have the operating disk there is plenty of that here on the site. Also check to make sure you have the latest operating system.

Others will be by shortly to offer suggestions.

rz-land

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 6:58 pm 
Dude

thanks for replying, na its nothing to do with midi i only mentioned midi to commemt on how well 2 of these machines worked well in sync together using midi.

The machines been unplugged all night and turned back on to the same blank green screen, i thought maybe someone on here had had the same problem and solved it, I cant format the drive because the system won't load up to access the format screen or anything else just blank.

If I knew for sure it was harddrive id just replace it

quite disapointed I do have a good pc/computer based recording set up but have always used the yamaha Aw16G and more recently the 1600 to record bands as i prefer the solid reliabilty of these things (or so i thought)

This machine has been well looked after and was hardly used before I had it and if this is the quality/durabilty then its no wonder computer based recording is doing them out of business!
Deserves to be on the scrap heap along with Akai samplers from the 90's ( which i used to own before computers) if thats the life span

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 7:07 pm 
Dude

forgot to ask, i was going to try and stick the operating system on a disc and see if it would boot up with that.

I tried sticking the .bin file on a disc as iso image and it says not valid iso file? or am i doing it as the wrong type of iso image burn?

Its not like doing a iso disc of say copied software?
or do i just copy the .bin file as it is straight to a blank cd

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:21 pm 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
Machine type: AW16G
Hi there. When i got my first aw16g it was in exactly the discribed condition. You are right to put the bin file on a cd but it is not an iso file (or an image for that matter). You have to format a cd in iso joliet format if i recall correctly and putbthe bin file on it. To be safe burn it slow. Four speed or something like that. Then reboot with the utility button pressed and install the latest firmware. If it won't boot after that replace the harddrive.

I'll try to find what i posted earlier tonguide you.

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:24 pm 
Website Slayer and Problem Solver

Don't know for sure, but my guess is that if you see nothing on the screen, it has something to do with the main board. I believe there should be some sort of message that comes from a memory chip on the main board that shows up first. However, you did say that you can see the operating system version. Hmmm? That might blow my whole theory.

All of the above is a guess, however. :) Not at my AW1600, so can't see what message normally shows up first.

BTW, very few reports of total failures of 16G or 1600 here on this forum. I've had one or the other for over 10 years, with no problems.

Good luck,

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:40 pm 

If can start up with utility button and you do get a response then the board is ok. I recovered the old posts so the next link should help.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12772&hilit=Replace+hd+New+harddisk

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 9:35 pm 
Dude

hey thanks for replies just seen them, ill start with the disc/os first then harddrive if thats fails

I have read other stuff on this forum before when i first had my other machine (16g) but not needed any help before like this wasn't really sure if it was old/dead forum - thanks again!

I do like using these things to record then transfer the files to pc to mix shame if the 1600 is a gonna

thanks again ill see what i can do

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 11:34 pm 
Dude

I've p45 myself, this might be a stupid question but how do i iso joliet format a cd?
Ive tried magiciso , nero 8 burning rom
all i can find is burn iso disc or image and the aw1600 bin file isnt any of these

thanks again, ill be in the oven (head anyway)

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:55 am 
Dude

ive took the harddrive out and had a look at it via another pc and seems ok , i formated both Aw1600-1 & aw1600-2 folders/drives and stuck the files back on and put it back in the machine and no difference at all

just no sound or anything i think the whole things just knackered, its in lovely condition though! haha nice looking piece of broken gear

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:14 am 
Marker Magician

Very few reported problems with these machines, at least on this forum. Maybe Dirk will have some words of wisdom.

The fact we all know so little of the inner workings is testament to their reliable performance.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:00 am 

Since you can view the hard drive on another machine, but the 1600 never boots, sounds like it could be a problem with the hard drive controller electronics on the main board. YMMV. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:08 am 

I believe its iso 9660.

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12772&hilit=Replace+hd+New+harddisk

Format an erasable disc and just drop the bin file on it afterwards. Then burn it on. It is an often used standard. If your software says iso it's probably the right one. The bin file is just a file you put on the cd like you would copy it to a another disk. It is not an iamge or so. I'm sure your machine just needs reformat and reinstall the firmware. Don't give up too soon.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 10:43 am 
Dude

Hi again, i did the cd right the first time with os 1.13 it just must not have booted from the cd properly....
I tried it a while ago with song and remote pressed on start up and it worked this time, it went through all the procedure - install/update os from cd etc..
All went fine and loaded up like normal after update then turned machine off and tried turning it back on again and it's gone back to the blank green screen!

Tried turning it on with utility pressed to see if the operating system showed 1.13 and its gone back to the old V1.02?

does this explain anything that could be wrong with the machine
thanks again for your help

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 11:07 am 
Dude

forgot to add apart from the time it worked/booted from cd a while ago the rest of the time the cd wont make a noise at all when im pressing song/remote like its not getting the message, thats what got me thinking i was doing the cd/os update disc wrong

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:21 pm 
Dude

I've tried another couple of hard drives which are almost identical, got rid of master boot records with -
command prompt
diskpart
list disk
select disk 1
clean
exit

totally clean unformatted drives into the the machine with o/s on disc in drive and pressing song/remote on power up, it only attempts to load the disc once every 20 times after powering down and when it does sucessfully try it states
error: can't load os file, please turn off

On the original drive it did load it so the disc is ok, its just that when i tried to turn it back on it returned to nothing.

Out of curiosity with the totally blank new hard drive I pressed utility on power up and it stated _
AW1600 Boot os: V1.02
so this information must not be stored on the hard drive but on a chip somewhere

It seems like something somewhere is not remembering information and not telling my harddrive and cd rom to work rather than being a hard drive fault

thanks for your help though mate very kind for your time
I think its now time for a pointless email to somewhere at yamaha to try and get some infomation but im not holding my breath!
These machines are not that old and to have so little information and support from yamaha is rubbish and make me think twice about buying anything again

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:19 pm 
Dude

hmmm miraculously (can't spell) its came back to life! and seems to load up every time now for the moment anyway.

This is with the original hard drive back in and both AW1600-1 2 drives/folders fat formatted then master boot removed (clean) via command prompt

I have updated the os to 1.13 or whatever and it go's through the proceedure correctly and restarts but when you check with the utility button on start up its reverted back to the original.

Not bothered about the update as long as it works but seeing as the drive wasn't cluttered anyway how long is it going to last , something is wrong somewhere

Maybe time to sell

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:47 pm 
Marker Magician

good it will boot now, but such a string of events would shake your confidence in the unit. As said, we hear very little about problems with the hardware or software, but we do get lots of testimonials about the reliability/ quality. too bad about your machine. I'd be hesitant to use it it in the live gig recording you have said you do., at least until a number of bench tests restored my confidence. Myself, I'd buy another AW series machine in a heartbeat, should I need one. I have two, 1600 and 2400 and both perform reliably.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:17 pm 

Glad it came alive again, but it's probably intermittent. :( If you were really lucky, it could just be the connector contacts to the hard drive. Try some contact cleaner on them. Maybe your swapping drives in and out did some cleaning already.

BTW, the boot program is stored on a memory chip on the main board, not the hard drive.

Good luck,

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:11 am 
Former Computer Geek

Favourite food: Pizza, E.Coast plz!!
Good lord you guys know alot about these boxes! I'm always astounded...

Nice work boys!

-= Beer

I LOVE THIS!!! Ted Stevens, 82-year-old US Senator from Alaska and chairman of the Senate Committee on Science, Commerce and Transportation, for explaining in a speech how the Internet actually works: “It’s a series of tubes.”