The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:31 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: SSD in AW1600 works!!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:52 pm 
Lone Star

Favourite food: music
Machine type: AW1600
SSD in AW1600 works!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I bought a used AW1600 this week and like others I disliked the noise coming from the internal HDD (Seagate). On my search for solutions I found this great forum. My first goal was to replace the HDD and purchased a WD 160Gig but I was not able to get it installed : The display kept telling me "Update incomplete" Switch off.

Of course the ideal solution could be a SSD (no moving parts)
I decided to buy a OCZ Vertex2 60 Gig with a IDE2SATA interface board (like the one shown in another thread). I thought the first thing to do is cloning the original HDD with Acronis and expected that to work....... it didn't (:-(( ooops!

But the AW kindly asked to insert the Updater CD, I did that and guess what? : Within a few seconds the AW1600 was working in absolute silence.... Just install the demo-song and samples and copy my own recordings via the USB interface.... that's it guys!!

I'm soo happy this worked. Hope this helps many others to get rid of the annoying noise.

Ralph (Netherlands)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:41 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Hoi Ralph,

Welkom bij dit bijzondere clubje mensen. Doe of je thuis bent!

cheers

r

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:53 pm 
Welcome to the Forum!

I installed a ssd, too, and it works fine. And noiseless ! Pay attention to which converter to use: you'll need a male IDE to SATA (like a Startech male IDE to SATA). Cheap and simple. It was plug and play.
Thanks Ralph, for the tip.
Klaas. (Netherlands)

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:33 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Hoi Klaas, welkom op dit forum.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:16 pm 
Welcome to the Forum!

Dag Robbie, bedankt voor je welkom. 'k Had niet in de gaten dat hier ook een aantal Dutchies rondzwerven. Nice! Misschien handig voor sommige lastige AW-vragen en tips.

To be specific about the connection between a SATA-ssd and the AW1600: it is a "40 pin male IDE to 2,5in/3,5in SATA converter".
The next thing to consider is how to mount the ssd on the Yammies HD-plate. I drilled a few holes, but I guess you can use double sided adhesive tape between the mounting plate of the ssd and the HD-plate of the AW1600.
Klaas.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:46 pm 
Lone Star

Favourite food: music
Hey guys,

Nice to hear others followed this 'path to absolute silence' :lol:

Robbie: Ben je misschien ook bezig met Yamaha Tyrossen??

Klaas: Dutchies vind je overal :roll:

Roel (Coevorden)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:27 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Hoi Roel, nee, centjes zijn op :(

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:03 pm 
Lone Star

Favourite food: when I'm hungry
Hi there,

I also have the OCZ Vertex2 60GB SSD and guess what: when I put in inside the machine and fire it up the process end with this annoying message INCOMPLETE TURN OFF. Before that it asks me for the CD, which I put where it belongs and then I press this and that button etc. it even starts to read the update/OS whatever file on the CD (I've got the files via email from the YAMAHA support) but it doesn't finish. Sadly. Any ideas what I could try next?
I drive a blue car and wear black underpants. Should I go for a black car and blue underpants?

:iroc: :naka:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:23 am 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
Mark Schweißer wrote:
Hi there,

I also have the OCZ Vertex2 60GB SSD and guess what: when I put in inside the machine and fire it up the process end with this annoying message INCOMPLETE TURN OFF. Before that it asks me for the CD, which I put where it belongs and then I press this and that button etc. it even starts to read the update/OS whatever file on the CD (I've got the files via email from the YAMAHA support) but it doesn't finish. Sadly. Any ideas what I could try next?
I drive a blue car and wear black underpants. Should I go for a black car and blue underpants?

:iroc: :naka:

Black car!

rz-land

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:28 pm 
Lone Star

Favourite food: when I'm hungry
…so I've got me a black car.
Still having problems with my AW1600 though. Original harddrive starts making strange noises and I found a SSD PATA 64GB harddrive that i was able to put the Yamaha OS on. The AW1600 starts up correctly and seems to be working but: as soon as i record something and want to play it back ist freezes!!! after about 500ms nothing goes. Freeze. Turn off. Also freezes after failed to get into USB mode (drives didn't appear on computer) and trying to get back to normal mode. So I'm still unhappy with the situation. But for quite some time I had the silent machine I was dreaming of and some happy minutes before I tried to record something. Went for some beers.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:29 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
keep at it. ther have been ssd installed successfully.

I have an ssd card in my old ipod (Gen 5) and it works well. good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:18 am 
Dude

Favourite food: hamburgers
An FYI - I was able to get SD cards working with my AW1600. Check out details over here:

viewtopic.php?p=198799#p198799

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:17 am 
Lone Star

Favourite food: Natural healthfood
Hi Ralph,

I bought this StarTech IDE2SATA https://www.yorcom.nl/artikel/startech- ... VHDDST012/
On the print plate I see the number A1062-00D.

But none of my SATA drives will work. When I turn on the AW1600 it ask to put in the cd (the CD with the AW1600_SYS.BIN file)... when it ask to update I hit Enter.
First I see "Writing OS into AW1600" which is good.... but then it gives the message "Incompleted. Please turn of" (which means it fails writing the OS on the drive).
I'm total sure that the cd with the OS bin file is correct, cause I tested it with another older IDE harddisk.

But with the StarTech IDE2SATA adapter none of my SATA disks and none of my SSD will be accepted.
I tried several brands SATA harddrive and a Samsung SATA SSD. I also checked if the older SATA harddrives if they were spinning by listening,
so the power connector was also working.

Do you have any idea what the problem is? It seems that my IDE2SATA adapter is not compatible with the AW1600?

Can you post a picture of your adapter and tell me which brand, type and revision or serial number you have of the IDE2SATA adapter? Thanks!

Jerry (the Netherlands)

kla4 wrote:
SSD in AW1600 works!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I bought a used AW1600 this week and like others I disliked the noise coming from the internal HDD (Seagate). On my search for solutions I found this great forum. My first goal was to replace the HDD and purchased a WD 160Gig but I was not able to get it installed : The display kept telling me "Update incomplete" Switch off.

I decided to buy a OCZ Vertex2 60 Gig with a IDE2SATA interface board (like the one shown in another thread). I thought the first thing to do is cloning the original HDD with Acronis and expected that to work....... it didn't (:-(( ooops!

But the AW kindly asked to insert the Updater CD, I did that and guess what? : Within a few seconds the AW1600 was working in absolute silence.... Just install the demo-song and samples and copy my own recordings via the USB interface.... that's it guys!!

I'm soo happy this worked. Hope this helps many others to get rid of the annoying noise.

Ralph (Netherlands)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:54 pm 
Dude

Is it possible the drive[s] already has a boot record written on it?

The AW needs to set the drive to function as a RAID array which requires some low-level fiddling during the formatting phase. If the drive comes from the factory [or otherwise as in pre-formatted for Windows and etc.] with a boot record already written, the AW won't be able to do it's thing.

I ran across an article on how to get around this problem and revert the drive back to virgin so the AW can configure it properly if that's what the issue is.

Windsong wrote:
Hi Ralph,

I bought this StarTech IDE2SATA https://www.yorcom.nl/artikel/startech- ... VHDDST012/
On the print plate I see the number A1062-00D.

But none of my SATA drives will work. When I turn on the AW1600 it ask to put in the cd (the CD with the AW1600_SYS.BIN file)... when it ask to update I hit Enter. First I see "Writing OS into AW1600" which is good.... but then it gives the message "Incompleted. Please turn of" (which means it fails writing the OS on the drive). I'm total sure that the cd with the OS bin file is correct, cause I tested it with another older IDE harddisk.

But with the StarTech IDE2SATA adapter none of my SATA disks and none of my SSD will be accepted. I tried several brands SATA harddrive and a Samsung SATA SSD. I also checked if the older SATA harddrives if they were spinning by listening, so the power connector was also working.

Do you have any idea what the problem is? It seems that my IDE2SATA adapter is not compatible with the AW1600?

Can you post a picture of your adapter and tell me which brand, type and revision or serial number you have of the IDE2SATA adapter? Thanks!

Jerry (the Netherlands)

kla4 wrote:
SSD in AW1600 works!!

Ralph (Netherlands)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:45 pm 
Lone Star

Hi Verne,

I pre-formatted all my drives on a Windows machine in FAT32, but no results.
So I think the IDE2SATA adapter is not good.

I did the same with another older native IDE harddisk and that worked fine in the AW1600.
I pre-formatted the drive in just one partition and the AW1600 makes two partitions when you load the OS.

The only thing I can try is the delete all the partitions and install a total empty harddrive in the AW1600 and see what happens.
I will give an update when I try this.

Are you using an IDE2SATA adaper? If yes, which brand do you use?

Verne Andru wrote:
Is it possible the drive[s] already has a boot record written on it?

The AW needs to set the drive to function as a RAID array which requires some low-level fiddling during the formatting phase. If the drive comes from the factory [or otherwise as in pre-formatted for Windows and etc.] with a boot record already written, the AW won't be able to do it's thing.

I ran across an article on how to get around this problem and revert the drive back to virgin so the AW can configure it properly if that's what the issue is.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:47 pm 
Dude

Windsong wrote:
I did the same with another older native IDE harddisk and that worked fine in the AW1600.
I pre-formatted the drive in just one partition and the AW1600 makes two partitions when you load the OS.

Okay - this is the problem. You have to do a low level operation to delete the boot record. There are instructions if you look - I don't have reference to them ATM.

Drives are operating system agnostic when made - it is the boot record that defines how the drive will be handled. Windows or Macintosh file systems are proprietary. The AW needs to define it's own boot record as it uses features on the drive that need to be toggled a certain way.

Microsoft optimizes disc performance for packet bursts to accommodate the transaction oriented use of their products. The AW needs a high-performance RAID array that allows for continuous sustained streams of data being read and written simultaneously. If the drive is pre-configured in any way the AW1600 will give an error like the one you received.

Windsong wrote:

This is what I did:

http://forum.dijonstock.com/viewtopic.p ... e&start=80

The hardware is the last place I'd look. All they're doing is running a wire from one pin to another and the IO has been standardized for a long time. But you could have gotten a bad one. If you do as I suggest above, at least you'll have eliminated one possibility and there are no costs to a low-level format if there's nothing on the drive anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:16 pm 
Lone Star

I'm almost sure that the MBR on the disk is not the problem cause the Yamaha will overwrite that.
Like I wrote in some older messages, I also used an older Seagate 80GB IDE harddisk which is used in a PC and has a MBR partition.
When I connected the IDE disk on the AW1600 and hit enter to write the OS... it accepted with no issue.
So it must be the IDE2SATA converter which gives the error.... cause with the adapter it's not working at all.
I will send it back and order another one.

Verne Andru wrote:
Windsong wrote:

Okay - this is the problem. You have to do a low level operation to delete the boot record. There are instructions if you look - I don't have reference to them ATM.

Drives are operating system agnostic when made - it is the boot record that defines how the drive will be handled. Windows or Macintosh file systems are proprietary. The AW needs to define it's own boot record as it uses features on the drive that need to be toggled a certain way.

Microsoft optimizes disc performance for packet bursts to accommodate the transaction oriented use of their products. The AW needs a high-performance RAID array that allows for continuous sustained streams of data being read and written simultaneously. If the drive is pre-configured in any way the AW1600 will give an error like the one you received.

Windsong wrote:

This is what I did:

http://forum.dijonstock.com/viewtopic.p ... e&start=80

The hardware is the last place I'd look. All they're doing is running a wire from one pin to another and the IO has been standardized for a long time. But you could have gotten a bad one. If you do as I suggest above, at least you'll have eliminated one possibility and there are no costs to a low-level format if there's nothing on the drive anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:28 pm 
Dude

Windsong wrote:
I'm almost sure that the MBR on the disk is not the problem cause the Yamaha will overwrite that.

No it does not. This is a known issue that has been pointed out by others. If the drive has been preformatted in any way installation will fail because the AW cannot alter the boot record.

This video talks about it starting at 4:00 and discusses how to delete the MBR at around 5:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEMhm87_oWA

Here's the Service Manual link: https://elektrotanya.com/yamaha_aw1600_ ... nload.html

The SM shows a host of error messages and if the drive wasn't detected [because of faulty connecting hardware] you'd probably get something like "CD or HD Access Error!" not the "Incompleted" message you are getting.

I'm not saying the hardware is working, just saying that you've created a known problem by preformatting the drive thereby creating a MBR where there should be none.

The solution to your problem is to delete the MBR and try again with a virgin drive. If that doesn't work, then look at the hardware.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:09 pm 
Lone Star

I did exactly what the guy in the video said... but no results. It must be the IDE2SATA converter.
And remember.. that guy in the video is using a harddisk WITHOUT a converter!
I'm talking about the AW1600 which has the big IDE connection and I want to connect a SATA drive to the IDE cable.

My older IDE harddrives which came from my older PC are alle formatted with a MBR on the drive.
I took an older Seagate Barracuda 80GB (formatted in FAT32 and MBR). I putt it in the AW1600, put the CD in and the AW1600 wrote the OS on the drive with no problem!

Let's wait when I order a new one and try again.

Verne Andru wrote:
Windsong wrote:

No it does not. This is a known issue that has been pointed out by others. If the drive has been preformatted in any way installation will fail because the AW cannot alter the boot record.

This video talks about it starting at 4:00 and discusses how to delete the MBR at around 5:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEMhm87_oWA

Here's the Service Manual link: https://elektrotanya.com/yamaha_aw1600_ ... nload.html

The SM shows a host of error messages and if the drive wasn't detected [because of faulty connecting hardware] you'd probably get something like "CD or HD Access Error!" not the "Incompleted" message you are getting.

I'm not saying the hardware is working, just saying that you've created a known problem by preformatting the drive thereby creating a MBR where there should be none.

The solution to your problem is to delete the MBR and try again with a virgin drive. If that doesn't work, then look at the hardware.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:44 pm 
Dude

Windsong wrote:
I did exactly what the guy in the video said... but no results. It must be the IDE2SATA converter.

Fair enough. Trouble-shooting is a process of elimination so we can strike that one off the list.

The video was for the 16G and it's possible sorting out the MBR was one of the upgrades to the 1600, which is good to know going forward. When I did mine I went with a virgin SD card without problems but was prepared to dig in if otherwise.