The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:52 am 
Cowhand

Favourite food: Fishcakes
Machine type: AW1600
Just a quick thought here. Does anybody have any experience of software for correcting voice pitch? It might be a way round this problem I've got with my vocals. I know absolutely nothing about it (apart from the bits I've read about Madonna using it!) but my instinct tells me that any program that can do a job like that is going to be either incredibly expensive and/or difficult to use. In the past I've tried tweaking vocals using the pitch control on the AW1600 but it's hard to get right. Anybody have any thoughts?

http://www.howardgardener.co.uk/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:45 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
I sometimes lift the pitch of a complete vocal track by a few cents. This lift gets you, on average, above the pitch, rather than sagging below. But it leaves the performance intact. If you are generally a fairly, adequate vocalist but tend to be slightly under pitch, this can brighten, lighten things up considerably. If not, hit the undo button.

I too have had little luck with the pitch correction algorithm built into the 1600, but I have found a few uses for it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:43 pm 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
Machine type: AW16G
I have bought a voicelive touch some time ago which does autotuning very well although i don't use it. It just follows the chords ypu play on guitar or keyboard. Pretty neat...

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:47 pm 
Ranch Hand

Machine type: AW4416
Hi, there are a lot of voice pitch correction software programs out at the moment, Melodyne is really good, Antares Evo is almost the standard go to, in a lot of studios over the world ,I believe T-Racks has a built in one as well, I have a rackmount Voiceworks live, but it adds it`s own colour to the track which I don`t like, so I don`t use it often.
Basically the software ones add virtually nothing, and are a doddle to use,you send your vocal track to pc, then drop it into the software and the program reads it, you can see the notes you`ve sang on a graph, anything that is flat or sharp you simply click on the note and drag it to where you want it, there is normally a keyboard scale on the side of the graph showing the notes, you can put any note you`ve sang to any key you want, save it and send it back to the AW.
There are usually DEMO`S try before you buy, for the software, definitely worth a look.

Good luck.
T.
www.tmacmusic.com

https://tmacmusic12.wixsite.com/tmac

http://www.soundcloud.com/t-mac-12

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmCjAzN ... ture=watch

https://www.reverbnation.com/tmac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:01 pm 
Cowhand

Thanks all - will investigate forthwith!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:15 pm 
The Reverend

Favourite food: cheddar-lol
Q,

Before shelling out the big bucks, I would try this free plug in...

http://www.gvst.co.uk/gsnap.htm

The learning curve isn't as steep as the commercial software, but it obviously is not as tweakable or powerful...

Give it a shot before you dig deep into those pockets...

What program will you use to host it? Sonar, Cubase, Reaper, Pro Tools, Logic...the list goes on...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:59 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
When all else fails . . . .

sing in key

rz-land

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:59 pm 
Cowhand

Quote:
What program will you use to host it? Sonar, Cubase, Reaper, Pro Tools, Logic...the list goes on...

Bok, this is a good example of why a section on computer recording might be a useful thing on this site (hey look, I just steered the thread back on course!). This stuff is a mystery to me. When you ask me which host I'm going to use, it's a 'piece of string' question. You might as well be talking about astrophysics (er, you're not talking about astrophysics are you?). I understand the concept of hosts, having downloaded the Addictive Drums demo version - but where the hell does one start? :?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:02 pm 
Cowhand

Quote:
I sometimes lift the pitch of a complete vocal track by a few cents. This lift gets you, on average, above the pitch, rather than sagging below. But it leaves the performance intact. If you are generally a fairly, adequate vocalist but tend to be slightly under pitch, this can brighten, lighten things up considerably. If not, hit the undo button.

Thanks Byron, I'll give that a try.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:37 pm 
The General

Howard,

Melodyne is the best I've used, far better IMHO than the Antares plug. Never used it much as I too subscribe to the "sing it again till you get it right" philosophy. Given your hearing challenges, something like this might work.

If you know the key, you can correct a vocal to exact pitch or mostly to pitch via a percentage control.

If you'd like, send me a vocal track along with the key and I will run it through Melodyne and send it back to you.

Gary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:40 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
I'd like to hear the "before" and "after" .

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:57 pm 

gardenque wrote:
Quote:
(hey look, I just steered the thread back on course!).

Er, you mean the other thread ?? :?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:52 am 
Cowhand

Gary,

That would be fantastic - I really do appreciate it. I'll send you the MP3 of the track as it is now (with the crap vocal) and the vocal track itself as what - a WAV file?

Robbie - If it's okay with you, I don't mind (in the interests of science of course) if the two versions are posted but only on the condition that the 'after' one is successful because if it doesn't work out, there would then be two duff versions instead of one! 8-[

Robbie, Dirk and Chris - I'll try this first before I send you the MP3s for Plan B.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:10 pm 
The General

gardenque wrote:
Gary,

That would be fantastic - I really do appreciate it. I'll send you the MP3 of the track as it is now (with the crap vocal) and the vocal track itself as what - a WAV file?

Yes, exactly as you've outlined.

Gary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:15 pm 
Cowhand

Cheers Gary,

I've never exported WAV files from the AW1600 before but if previous postings are anything to go by, it should be straightforward. I'll try and get the files off to you tomorrow sometime. Thanks again for all your help.

P.S. How's your mum doing - and you!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:17 pm 

gardenque wrote:
P.S. How's your mum doing - and you!

If i understand the British psychopats at all this means you are now very cross ... :?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:20 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
We need that cross-section... with a British moderator...

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:26 am 
Finds Manual Useful

Favourite food: Skunk Milk
Like Gary, I suscribe to the do-it-again-until-you-get-it-right school. However, in my case that would be the do-it-again-until-you-get-it-less-wrong school !

I find that the 1600's editing tools allow you to fairly easily re-do dodgy lines on a spare track, remove any button-clicks & then paste the new line into the vocal track. Or, to do 2 or 3 tracks & edit out the bits you don't want. I would only pitch-fix a track that could not be re-done because the "artist" was not available to re-do the track.

Anyway, I hope that you find a way to work around your hearing problem. I lost the hearing in my left ear when I was 14. Apart from the day-to-day buggerisation factor (can hear sounds but cannot locate them, rotten balance that grotesquely exaggerates the effects of alcohol), my body has learned to compensate pretty well & only really struggle with stereo. I have found that you need to forget about what you don't have & work with what you still have - my body is much more adaptable than I would ever have thought possible. Frustration is not healthy, in my view.

The good thing about having only one working ear is that I can shut out sounds that I don't want to hear (traffic, nagging, etc.) by rolling over in bed or turning my head in a particular direction. That said, I do struggle in noisy bars & restaurants picking up converstation - and tend to read facial expressions & nod or frown accordingly - I have over the years narrowly avoided beatings by nodding when some drunken grinning fool has said something like "So, you think I'm an idiot, do you ?". If a nod causes a sudden change in facial expression, I am always ready to spring off the barstool & race for an exit.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:46 am 
Cowhand

Hi Oscar,

Thanks for your kind words. The frustration is something I have to work on. Last time I saw the surgeon that did the operation, he asked me how it was going and seemed quite surprised when I kind of shrugged and said it was just okay. The way I explained it to him was that if you had a Porsche and rolled it into a ditch, how would you feel if somebody then gave you a Mini and expected you to be thrilled?

You're right - the body is amazingly adaptable and I've already adopted some new working practises. Regarding the music, the choice now, it would seem, is either instrumentals or working with a vocalist. They are both options I'd rather not have to choose but as your signature so beautifully explains, sometimes we just have to eat shit. That said, there are some things that are harder than others to see as opportunities rather than predicaments.

If nothing else, the hearing problem is giving me some great song titles. Involved in a phone call with a friend recently, I was amazed to hear her say that she'd attended a "soft drinks panel". Never having heard this term before I was naturally curious to know more. It turned out that she was actually talking about a "fostering panel" which didn't have quite the same ring to it. Similarly, I now know that she didn't see Harrison Ford in Widnes (a nondescript town in Cheshire) after all but in the film Witness. For somebody with a surreal and absurdist outlook like myself, these are gems to be treasured! Finally, I would add that humour can be a great ally. When I sighed and told a friend that at least the hearing deficit wasn't life-threatening, she said, "Not unless you don't hear the bus coming of course."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:21 pm 
The Reverend

Favourite food: cheddar-lol
might as well jump in hear(pun intended-sorry)...though my hearing challenges aren't quite at serious as O and Q's, degradation and hearing aids run in my family, starting in their 50's, which seems rather early to me...and though I am stubborn when it comes to this type of thing, I think I will eventually have to acquiesce... Of course, my wife sometimes accuses me of selective hearing, but that's another story. I too, have real difficulty in crowds...and to make matter worse, about 2 years ago I developed tinnitus. Talk about annoying...that probably bugs me more than the other stuff.

I must learn to deal with it, as in the big scheme of things, its really minor.