The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:50 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Midi mode to CD problem
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:22 am 
City Slicker

Favourite food: curry
Machine type: AW1600
All the original songs that I am trying to burn to CD's were originally recorded on a Roland Juno G with four or five sequenced individual tracks in midi mode and transferred as a single track to my AW1600 and perhaps the reason for me not being able to accomplish a CD burn might have something to do with Midi mode, even when I transfer to my computer from Roland G I cannot listen to the tracks because I get a message re a codec problem, the only thing I yet have to try is to buy another brand of CDs that someone suggested the ones I have are CDR TDK music/audio 700mb 80 min.
Even though I am at the embarrassed stage I would still appreciate any suggestions. All the advise so far which has been great has not worked so it must be me..
Perhaps I should go back to 1/4 inch..!! R.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:59 am 
Cowhand

Favourite food: Fishcakes
Welcome to the forum Daks.

No-o-o-ooo, not 1/4 inch tape! That way madness lies! I've found that my AW1600 is quite happy to use cheap CDs from the supermarket - and at the rate I get through them that's probably just as well! It must be just a minor glitch and the experts on this forum will find a way to help, you can be sure of that.

http://www.howardgardener.co.uk/

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:58 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
the codec message has to do with the computer, not the roland. If you are using Windows Media Player, that message tells you that the Player does not have the proper codec through which to recognize the file type sent by the Roland. You might find the codec somehow , but i am no expert on how to acquire such things. a Google search may locate it. At any rate it has nothing to do with the CD brand.

The illegal/unsupported media may have something to do with the brand, but it may also indicate a problem with the burner itself. Try another brand (borrow one from a neighbour or grand kid)

Don't be embarrased by all this - I admire your tenacity to get the job done.

what sort of music are you recording?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:21 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Question? Did you use midi between the roland and the 1600? When you play back the track on the 1600, can you hear the track? If you can hear the track on the 1600, then it has nothing to do with the tracking.

But just for a fun test (ok, maybe not fun), if you still have the Roland, connect the stereo output using the quarter inch jacks. Run those into 2 inputs of the 1600. Depending on which sounds you used on the Roland, you might actually have a stereo file there. In order to get true left/right stereo, recording it onto the 1600 in stereo must happen first. Then save that song file and create a mixdown and save.

BTW, I came from 1/4" tape and would never go back.

rz-land

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:26 pm 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
Machine type: AW16G
Hi Daks, You mean that you recorded audio and transferred that to the G ? I hope you are not trying to play midi files on the AW1600 cause i don't think it can do that.(not sure, don't have on but comparing AW16G) If you are working with a wav file does the bitrate match ? ie 16 vs 24 bit and sampling rate ? I think the AW is limited by what it supports. specs about what it can play back should be in the manual.

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:26 pm 
City Slicker

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. Yes I have recorded everything in Midi mode to my AW1600 and I can play it back and even record back to my Roland G but cannot burn to CD.Re my music I have tried to play flamenco guitar all my life and all my original compositions (about eight) have been flamenco influenced, and during the last few months I have become enamoured with the keyboard and digital music options but I am limited through obvious of lack of keyboard ability and arthritis. I will try the stereo suggestion and obtain some other CD brand blanks.. I am very pleased to have found this helpful website. Ron G (Daks)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:02 am 
City Slicker

I have found the problem, which is exactly what I thought it was , you cannot record to AW1600 in Midi mode from an outside source and burn to CD. whether there is a proceedure for doing that I will have to explore. I recorded several tracks straight from a Roland Juno G not midi to my AW1600 and produced my first CD at last...phew...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:13 am 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Glad you worked it out. Now you'll be recording 24/7!

rz-land

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:50 pm 
Marker Magician

glad you stuck with it. Now, let's hear a little flamenco inspired music!