The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: "g" update
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 3:05 am 
Boot Polisher

Got my machine from E-bay and changed out the HD..I'm in the process of converting all my files to Wavs.. The machine seems to work pretty good except I tried to erase some of the Background noise from one of my tracks and kept getting a "system Error " message..
Then i had to shut my machine down improperly...I haven't really tested it completely yet,
but the system error message makes me want to get all my data converted just in case it's a major problem!

Jim

Post subject: Re: "g" update
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:56 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Heya Jim,

I had to shut down the machine a few times, but it didn't turn out to be a problem. If it did, I'd unplug the machine from power and let it alone for some time. Problem solved.

Obviously this is no guarantee but that's what I've experienced.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:14 pm 
Wrangler

Favourite food: food
I've had to do a hard shutdown many times, but the g always seems to be OK, apart from sometimes errors after running the check thingy. Format sorts that out though.

Sometimes, when I have imported say ten or twelve tracks from a CD into the g as one long audio track, with markers to indicate track starts, and then copy it to a stereo master and burn to CD, the g locks up. There is no alternative other than to turn off and on again. It's very much like using Vista in that respect.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:44 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

cda wrote:
Format sorts that out though.

YESS!! You are a Believer.

cda wrote:
Sometimes, when I have imported say ten or twelve tracks from a CD into the g as one long audio track, with markers to indicate track starts, and then copy it to a stereo master and burn to CD, the g locks up.

I've experienced similar problems when there's an overlap in time. I can imagine it's a problem to copy the first track of a CD to a paired track on the machine, and then put the next track of that CD on the same paired track, beginning where there's still data of the first track, even if it's only a fraction of a second. The same occurs when performing a "move" where source and destination overlap. The machine does not handle this properly.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:03 pm 
Wrangler

:lol: Yes, I do enjoy a good format!

As for the time overlap thing - would nudging the song along a bit before importing the next track sort that out? Next time I want to copy in this way, I'll give it a go and see if it still locks up.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:58 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

You mean inserting a small piece of silence at the beginning? That is inserting and I never had any problems with that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:30 pm 
Wrangler

Yes, inserting silence. What I've done up to now is import the track from CD, create a marker, then import the next track, and so on. If I insert silence, it might avoid the overlap thing and not lock the machine up.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:51 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

You don't have to actually insert the silence.

When importing the CD tracks to the machine, keep an extra margin of half a second or so. Or even a few thousands of a second will do.

Let's say the first track of the CD is imported and on the machine the data stops at 3:47.203

Then import the second track and as start time (target on the same track on the machine) use something like 3:47.213

You see they are 1/100 of a second apart. This way, you make sure there's no overlap.

You see, there is a slight problem with the time indication. You can select as precise as 1/1000 of a second, or 0.001 second. But there are 44,100 samples in a second. Every sample is 1/44,100 or 0.0000227 second apart from the next. That means you can select time as precise as (+/-) 44 samples. The time will be rounded off downwards to the last 1/1000 of a second, forgetting that there probably are a few (somewhere between 0 and 44) samples following that.

If, in the example, you would specify 3:47.203, you probably have the second song overlap up to 44 samples. And the G hates overlap.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:18 am 
Wrangler

Gotcha. I'll try that out next time - a friend sent me a CDr of music that won't play in my usual CD player, but CDrs from my g WILL play in it, so I have to do all the above to be able to listen to the songs on the CD player I want (next to my couch, away from all distractions). CDrs from my computer won't play in it either, so I can't just copy the CD.