The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:27 pm 
Sodbuster

Favourite food: Pasta
Machine type: AW16G
I had my hard drive (a used 40g) which was failing on me, removed, and I put the original back in (after wiping it completely clean), but I think my problems were, or have become, way worse. With the new (original) drive back in the machine, I updated the os, and now, the buttons are all doing things they're not meant to do. I hit the input 1 button and it acts as though I hit the monitor button. input 2 acts as pad 2 and starts the song "running", input 3 sends me into sound clip, input 4 thinks it is pad 4, and it starts the recorder running, 5 to 8 seem o.k., but the eq button acts as the play button on first press, second press it goes to the bounce option of the record menu, 3rd press loads the PAN menu...the rest of the DYN, eff 1 and 2 are all acting up. I think this thing is toast...

Doug.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:59 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Hiya Doug,

I don't think it's toast.

Remove the drive from the machine, and connect it to a PC. Make it completely clean, even without a master boot record. So, obviously, no partitions either. Then, but it back in the machine, and reload the OS. It should be working then.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:27 am 
Sodbuster

Hi Robbie, that's exactly how I cleaned it. I use a program called WDCLEAR, which is accessed from loading a windows 95 startup disk in a computer, then switching out diskettes and run wdclear, which literally writes zeros to the harddrive and reports if there are errors on the drive. This drive had no errors. (The 40g I was having the issues with reported having errors). I removed the original 20g (newly wiped) drive and immediately put it in the G. (I use this method to clean my computer as well, and in that process, my next step is formatting and partitioning. I did not do any of that with this with this drive).

Actually, it is also the same way I had installed the used 40g about 6 months ago, by cleaning it with wdclear, and until it started failing, it worked great.

I will probably try it again, but I'm not hopeful.

Thanks, Doug.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:11 am 
Sodbuster

Update:

While re-wiping the 20g, I tried a wiped 4.86g, just to see if I wound up with the same results.
It froze while "checking HDD".

I couldn't get it to work, so I swapped out the drives again (once the 20g was finished wiping).
I turned on the G, put the os disk in the cd drive.
Turn off and on the G, and was left with a green screen this time.

I'm going to unplug it (again) and let it sit overnight, but I think it's done...

I'll check back in approx. 20 hours...Doug.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:33 am 
Sodbuster

O.k., I tried loading the os again this morning before going to work. It took the os, but the end result was identical to last time. Input 1 acts as the monitor button...etc.

:?:

I don't know what to do next.

Doug.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:09 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

How was it again. The G has two sets of software. The OS and the application.

I really can't remember which is which, but do a thourough search on the forum and check out the docs page to get a clearer picture. You might be messing with the wrong set. Reinstalling an OS while it's an application that misbehaves... strange.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:53 pm 
Sodbuster

I downloaded from the link on the docs page that says AW16G OS 1.06, but it DOES seem to download the identical size and name file as the one that is linked to AW16PROG.BIN - AW16G firmware update. So unless the links are messed up...is this something you can check Robbie, or this someone elses baby...

Thanks, Doug.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:33 pm 
Sodbuster

Here's Yamaha's response...doesn't seem likely I'll be satisfied with their attempt at helping.

"Hello,
Are you able to restore the internal hard disk to the factory-set condition?

Please, check page 160 of manual for complete instructions and pictures.

http://www.awinspire.com/tuts/tuts.php

If you cannot restore the hard disk to the factory-set condition, the operating system has probably been corrupted.

Have the AW16G check by a qualified technician. If your Yamaha dealer does not have a service center, you can contact Bonnie Capotosto with your location via email or phone to find the nearest service center in your area.

bcapotosto@yamaha.ca

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/manual/english/index.php

The service's center of Yamaha Canada is located at Yamaha Toronto offices.

Yamaha Canada Music Ltd

135 Milner Avenue, Scarborough, ON M1S 3R1
Telephone: 416-298-1311"

I've actually stumbled upon the possibility of buying a "Roland VS-1824 Digital Studio Workstation" for a decent price. Looks like this might be my next option. Anyone know anything bad about these?

Thanks, Doug.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:18 am 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
What's a decent price?

rz-land

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:41 am 
Sodbuster

$225 Canadian.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:16 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Don't know Canada monetary values, but sounds reasonable. However, there would be a learning curve for certain. A friend of mine has an old Roland 880 and when he looked at my G (which is now his), he was confounded as the the differences. Personally, if you're gonna buy someone's used gear, why not buy another G. You know it and would be up and running.

rz-land

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:40 pm 
Sodbuster

Mostly because of availability and price.

The unit does record at 24 bit verses the 16 from the G.

From what I've read, they call it an 18 track, but I think 17 and 18 are their version of the stereo track (???)

I'm certain if I do switch, I'll miss things about the G, but at the moment, the best deal I've seen for the G is $300 + $30 shipping in US dollars (probably another $10 or $15 Canadian), and anyway, I missed out on it while trying to get mine up and running.
This Roland is only $225 and in driving distance.
I save over $120 and I don't need to worry about deliveries going wrong, ETC.

It's funny, when I first bought the G, I remembered the main issues with it were the impossible-to-read manual, and the pres' being o.k. but not great, ETC.
Reading about this Roland, it seems like the same issues...

If nothing else, it will be more gear I can get the experience of working with.

I'll probably be picking it up tonight.

Thanks for the info...Doug.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:13 pm 
No More Coasters!

Machine type: AW1600
AW16G's do come up for sale in Canada. Often, they get listed on kijiji sites for selling used goods, for various cities across Canada. Prices can vary, but $300 - $400 is typical for a used G in Cnd dollars. Sometimes you can see them listed for less and sometimes for more.

1600's come up as well. Prices can vary, but $400 - $500 is the norm on 1600's. I just picked up an AW1600 that was for sale not far from Ottawa, a couple of weeks back that was listed on Ottawa Kijiji. It was listed for sale at $500, and I talked the owner down. It was nearby, so I was able to physically check it out before buying.

The Roland VS-1824 has a 10 Gig Hard-drive according to spec sheets. The spec sheets mentions specifically ( hard drive is not user replaceable ). I don't believe that there's a USB on it either. I own a G, but bought the 1600 specifically to get a USB connection and a Recorder with an easy to replace Hard-drive. Both features ( especially USB ) are great to have.

I'm not sure where you're situated in Canada.....but I can tell you that G's and 1600's do come up for sale in Canada, avoiding a cross-border shipping situation. You can go a few weeks without seeing any for sale, and then suddenly there will be a few that are for sale. To find them, I would search in Google for: Yamaha AW16G for Sale Canada. That search would link me to the various kijiji sites across Canada, that might have one listed. That was how I found the one I ended up purchasing, although in that case I searched for AW1600 for sale Canada.

The 1600 seemed like a good choice for me. I wanted USB ( I was tired of burning coasters ), and I was happy to gain some nice new features....without having to learn a new platform, as the 1600 and G operate virtually the same.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:21 pm 
No More Coasters!

Here's a G for sale in Collingwood, Ontario for $300

http://barrie.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell- ... Z224087949

Here's one in Calgary, for $500

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell ... Z220877251

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:02 pm 
Sodbuster

Thanks for the info Utah.

I use Kijiji very, very frequently (That's how I found the roland).

I was able to find a manual on-line for the roland and, while different, it seems similar to the G, and from an on-line message board I've found that the hard drive is replaceable. I think what the spec sheets mean is that it is not plug and play. The manual even mentions using different size drives. You can also connect an external hdrive to it, if you have the right connections (and probably specifications).

If I found a G locally (I'm out east in Halifax, Nova Scotia) for close to this $225 price. I'd get it simply because of what I already know, and my current G could be used for repairs/parts. Unfortunately, the ones closest to me are too far in distance and price.

I DO like the thought of a 1600. Those prices sound good.

However, I'm taking money meant for house repairs and putting them toward this "hobby" so the cheaper the better, for now.

It's a case of gaining a decent recorder and probably losing a wife... (joking, but she might die of stress if I keep buying all this gear instead of paying bills, ETC).

Thanks for the info though, especially the 1600's prices. Good to know they are going that cheap.

Doug.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:35 am 
No More Coasters!

I wasn't sure which part of Canada you resided in Doug. I know that I saw quite a few 1600's for sale across Canada, before I found one available near Ottawa. Luckily, one eventually came up locally at a price that I thought was a bit too high...but within reason. I didn't mind a small premium to be able to see it first....before buying it.

So, I was able to fire it up.....do a few things, and feel comfortable that it worked before I worked out a price with the seller. They guy who owned it never figured out how to use it. He was somewhat blown away, watching me navigate his 1600 like it was the back of my hand....lol.

Good luck with your purchase, and if you do go for the Roland, I'm sure it will do the job nicely!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:11 am 
Sodbuster

Funny you should say that. The present owner of this machine says he paid $450 for it, and has no real idea how it works, so he's given up.
I spent half this night reading the manual, and aside from the fact that the hard drive MUST be partitioned into no more than 2000 mb's, and can be no more than 8 partitions (??? I don't know why), the unit seems o.k.

There IS questions about the CDROM in it not being able to burn anymore (no backing up??), but I've read that the drive is very media-picky, and with his lack of knowledge, and his media choice, it may be possible.

For that he'll drop it to $200, and I will have to decide whether to take the chance or not. (He only just tried to use the record option. He's been backing up to ADAT).

My need to get my ideas down is suffering, so I will probably bite the bullet.

It IS a cheap quick solution to satisfying my creative hunger, he he...

Doug (Thanks again).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:52 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Do you have the feeling you did everything you can to make the old machine work?

To me, it's not exactly clear 1) what needs to be done/can be done and 2) what already has been done.

I'd like to have you try again, so we'll do it together.

You can always spend your money later, if/when it fails. :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:51 pm 
Marker Magician

a 10 gig HD that is limited to 8 partitions of no more than 2 gigs each would be enough to scare me off. And with a questionable burner, no USB .... ???

I would also look at the availability of compression. I seem to recall some of those older machines assign their compressors as an effect, meaning you are limited to how many tracks can use DYN at once. At final mixdown this would be really disadvantageous to me. Even though a lot of compression is not what i am looking for, overall -- a touch here and there really helps a mix to -- well --- mix. The AW series lets you use the DYNamic utilities everywhere.

As for saving $ 100 -- I do remember the days when that was a big issue -- that said though -- the G or the 1600 are the best bang for the buck IMO -- they are not produced anymore -- they seem to have a stellar track record ( yours is the first "senile" unit to show up on this forum - I mean that there are not a lot of users out there looking for hardware assistance) -- the learning curve is steep enough that there lots of gently used units out there .... So ask for $$ at birthday/ xmas -- sell another piece of gear -- do what you will ---but get the machine you know to be the right one for your intended use.

I am with Robbie on this - let him help you walk through the reconfig process once more and see if your old machine can be resurrected.

If a G would suit you - without the USB etc. - you should be expanding your search to include the older AW4416. You would be happy with that unit i am sure.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:04 pm 
Sodbuster

Robbie wrote:
Do you have the feeling you did everything you can to make the old machine work?

To me, it's not exactly clear 1) what needs to be done/can be done and 2) what already has been done.

I'd like to have you try again, so we'll do it together.

You can always spend your money later, if/when it fails. :)

Hi Robbie, O.k., so at the moment I had taken my 20g drive (the one that came with the G), and put it in an old laptop. I used it's own software (travelstar software) to wipe the drive (zero-ing the drive so that no info exists on it at all).

It is now sitting in my AW16G.

My many previous attempts to install the OS have resulted in the issues stated above, every time.

This last time, I've gone no further than physically installing it.

I don't think it has yet to be determined if there is an issue with the links on the doc page, to the OS and the firmware update. To me they look like the same file and I wonder if I keep downloading the firmware update instead of the OS. Like I said, I have no way of knowing, and it may be coincidence, but these 2 files look identical, and I question if my problem lies here.

This is where I'm at presently.

Thanks, Doug.