The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:47 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:55 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
What instrument have you had the longest ?

Mine is my 1968 Martin D-18 purchased new. Had it now for over 40 years and it only gets better.

Sadly my "68 Les Paul goldtop w/soapbars was sold to feed Sharon's kids when we married.

And soooo on........

msg

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:39 am 
Footswitch Genius

Favourite food: Jarlsberg
Machine type: AW16G
'The Pig:' a Japanese-made Jazz Bass copy which i got in 1976.

and later, after getting myself some real Fender Jazzes, i converted it to fretless.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:52 am 
Former Computer Geek

Favourite food: Pizza, E.Coast plz!!
Machine type: AW1600
My Yellow RG550. Probably 26 years now... that guitar feels perfect in my hands. Like it was born there.
That's it in my Avatar about 20 years ago...LOL
-= Beer

I LOVE THIS!!! Ted Stevens, 82-year-old US Senator from Alaska and chairman of the Senate Committee on Science, Commerce and Transportation, for explaining in a speech how the Internet actually works: “It’s a series of tubes.”

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:34 am 
Finds Manual Useful

Favourite food: Skunk Milk
A 1975 Maton Overlander 3/4 Australian acoustic guitar. Got it for a song in 1984...beaten up as all hell, but it sounds fantastic. While not actually in my possession, I have it stashed at a mate's place.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:44 am 
Former Computer Geek

Favourite food: Pizza, E.Coast plz!!
Better get it back pronto... and hold on to it. One of my strats is at an old mate's place. Only I don't know where my old mate's place is anymore. It would have won for longest held instrument by a few years.

-= Beer

I LOVE THIS!!! Ted Stevens, 82-year-old US Senator from Alaska and chairman of the Senate Committee on Science, Commerce and Transportation, for explaining in a speech how the Internet actually works: “It’s a series of tubes.”

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:45 am 
No More Coasters!

I have a Suzuki Acoustic guitar that was a birthday present for my 18th birthday....so that makes it 37 years old. It's not very playable though, and hasn't been for quite a few years.

As for guitars that I still use regularly, my Mid-70's Fender Mustang Bass has been in my collection since about 1987 or so. I still play it frequently.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:29 am 
Mr. Blues

Favourite food: Sauerkraut ;-)
Machine type: AW2400
Hi,

10.2.1973 Arianne Classic Guitar, my first one as a beginner
10.2.1975 Ibanez Concord 12string
10.2.1976 Pearl Les Paul Copy (made in Japan)
10.2.xxxx a lot more... :lol:

Next week my Squier CV Tele is going to his new owner, first guitar I ever sold ... . Not bought at a 10.2. :lol:

Andreas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:15 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Until last year I owned a 1879 Pleyel... oh... "that you still have"... oops...

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:12 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

I have a cheap Yamaha classical guitar I bought new in about 1978. Every few years I pull it out, grow my fingernails, and have fun with a "fingerpicking Bach" book for a month or two. I'm just entering that phase now. 8)

My main guitar is a 1980 Hamer Special I bought new (uh, in 1980). I looked into the history once and figured out that it was about the 2000th guitar Hamer made. It's the one piece of musical equiment I would be saddened about if my house went up in flames.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:37 pm 
Marker Magician

I now own the tenor Ukelele that was my father's. I learned how to play on it. Tuned like the first four strings of guit ( not my dog has fleas) so the cord formations are the same, as is the key. I just had it out this weekend to show to some young guys who were over recording. got my boy scout music badge with it, so that would be my first public performance. By an ironic twist, my first formal lesson as a teacher was a practice session while at teachers college (to real kids from a local elementary school) By luck of the draw, the topic I drew out of a hat was " What is folk music?". I used that uke to explain the concept of songs, like instruments, being passed from generation to generation.

Have the first classical guit I bought at the age of 14 in Mexico City. Not a "market" guitar, but rather purchased at a genuine music store.. Make = La Valencia. $35 in 1970. It is an instrument of good quality, that would cost a lot to replace these days.

Also own a Yamaha FG 180. In the "at a mate's" category, I lent it ( my first guitar - that I bought with my own money at the age of 16) to my brother. He didn't realize that although a low end instrument, it had a solid top. so he left it in a basement when a marriage broke up. A few years later I found the same model at the back of a closet at a new friend's house ( he didn't play) so i traded him a file cabinet for it. Those models had weak structure so both instruments suffered from the same symptoms and were not really playable. About 7 years ago I found a local, small town repair guy who installed a truss that runs from under the bridge back to the end block of the body. When this gets adjusted, the top region under the bridge is lifted. This allows the neck truss rod to come back into play. He relocated the bridge by about 3/16 of an inch for intonation purposes, replaced the bridge and nut with bone. Put on new strings too = $95 dollars. The guit cost 125 back in '72. Best $95 I ever spent. After 40 years it just keeps sounding better.

I also own a small banjo uke that had been my uncle's. Found it in his basement the day of his funeral and my aunt offered it to me when she found I could make it play a bit. He had used it, as a young man, playing in male choruses, doing minstrel shows (thankfully not too many of those happening these days) . On the skin he had hand sketched the faces of crooners of the time - Rudy Vallee, Paul Whiteman + one other.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:37 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
For my 16th birthday my friends all chipped in and bought me a used Fender DuoSonic guitar and a Fender Bassman amp. The guy they bought it from was a friend who wasn't playing anymore and wanted the money. The guitar and amp I'm pretty sure are 1966. I found another cabinet for the bassman in the early 70's so now I have that silver 50w head(needs retubing) sitting on two cabinets each with 2 - 12's.

The first electric I bought myself was a used 1971 sunburst Les Paul Deluxe. I was hoping it was a 1970 because that would have made it a 1st year model. The Gold Top Deluxe was introduced in 69 and the 1st year for sunbursts was in 70. After some recent conversations with Gibson, removing the pot cover on the back and dusting off the pots, we determined by the numbers on the pots it was a 71.

rz-land

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:59 pm 
Website Slayer and Problem Solver

I wish I still had my late 50s Fender sunburst strat I bought in high school!! However, after playing it a couple of years in my R&R band, I traded it in on a Fender DuoSonic, which I no longer have. I think I traded because I liked the smaller size of the DuoSonic.

Around 1965 I bought a Harmony Sovereign acoustic guitar, which I still have (somewhere). Several years back, I put a "nut raiser" (better watch my language) on it and played it like a dobro for a while. I've always regretted not spending the extra bucks to buy a Martin at that time. I ended up with a 1969 D18 about 8 years ago, however.

Lots of could-a, would-a, should-a in life. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:44 pm 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
I still have my whistle ! :D

As i started only a little over two years ago my instruments are all very young (except my whistle ! ) They all still work (including ... yeah, yeah).

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:51 pm 
Marker Magician

HogTime wrote:
I wish
Lots of could-a, would-a, should-a in life. :)

I once found an old guit under a pile of old stuff at a junk store. some thing about the look caused me to move a whole bunch of stuff to get to it, The case was an odd shape, i guess was what intrigued me, in hindsight. Turned out to be an old martin (classical??) with a long body. It looked like it had been stretched - It had issues - forget what they were, but you couldn't play it out of the case. I looked in and saw it was numbered - went up to the old guy running the place, thinking I'd made one of those urban myth "garage sale" discoveries. "How are you today? Say what do want for that old broken guitar under that pile of stuff in the back?" Silence. "$450" (Which I couldn't/ didn't have at the time) >> No guitar. Oh well. Maybe should have dickered a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:06 pm 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
Byron wrote:
I once found an old guit under a pile of old stuff at a junk store

I'm gona keep an eye out on the second hand market but i guess i'm not alone...

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:22 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Back in early 90 I worked for a paging company and one of my sales reps told me a classic story. He was delivering the newspaper back when he was in his mid 20's. One of the old ladies he delivered to was outside one day when he came by and offered him a drink. So he went inside. He saw an old guitar sitting on a table with a flower pot in the sound hole. He asked her about it and she said it was her departed husbands so she kept it out and used it for a flower container. He said to her if she ever wants to sell it let him know.

A year went by and one day she calls him in and says I'm moving and I want you to have the guitar. He still has it. It's a 1960 Martin D28.

rz-land

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:29 pm 
Finds Manual Useful

I was working in Vietnam in '91 & was told that the country was full of vintage guitars & amps from the '60's that could be bought for next to nothing. I wasted many hours trying to hunt them down & only found one outrageously priced strat. So much for that !!!

I did, however, manage to pick up a silverface Fender Twin from a dodgy (defunct) Chinese nightclub in Singapore for about $100 (all it needed was a new set of tubes). They also had a broken B3 which, to my regret, I passed on.....it was going for about $200.

Andreas, what gives with the Squier tele ? I thought you loved it

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:05 pm 
Mr. Blues

Hi Oscar,

Oscar wrote:
Andreas, what gives with the Squier tele ? I thought you loved it

I got a AmericanVintage 52 Tele from my wife for my 50th. As both guitars are very similiar soundwise the Squier has to go. Or would you prefer to sell the 52er :mrgreen:

Nothing bad about the Squier, it is a fantastic guitar without any faults and the price is unbelievable for the quality. The 52ri cost 6x the CV but the difference soundwise and in workmanship is very very close. More a matter of taste.

I am thinking about getting a Squier Classic Vibe Precision Bass for the money.

Andreas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:30 pm 
Finds Manual Useful

Now I understand...well done for pruning your collection. Most people would have kept both & neglected one.

I very nearly bought a Squier CV Jazz bass. Ended up settling for a second hand Peavey Zodiac, and I am now that I did. It was half the cost & is fantastic (better than two previous fender Jazz's that I had owned). The Zodiac has a JB style neck, 1 jazz & 1 precision pup & so I get the best of both worlds. Also, I would have gone for a CV tele if the MIJ tele had fallen through.

Wow, you really cleaned up for your birthday, didn't you ? I didn't realise that you bagged a Princeton as well as a '52 !

One last thing...I can't seem to download your music...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:59 pm 
Mr. Blues

Hi Oscar,

my beloved wife told me to buy the '52 and the Princeton was sponsored by all my friends that came to my birthday party. I told them not to buy any presents but to fill my piggybank. I too sold my POD X3 and now the CV, so I got enough money to buy the Princeton. My first thought was to swap the pickups in the CV for P90s, but I have more than enough guitars and most of the time play my '52, my Ibanez AS120 as electrics and the Dobro and Taylor as acoustic guitars. No need for more. All the other guitars I own will never be sold, because all of them have their personal memories for me.

Glad you like the PEAVEY. I have tried Robbies Peavey Bass at HamelnStock and it is a great playing good sounding bass.

What music are you trying to download? Maybe I have to fix a broken link?

BTW: You can watch this video from HamelnStock I
Link

[youtube-de]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcmvqCCd9J4[/youtube-de]
Andreas