The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:56 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:42 pm 
Finds Manual Useful

Favourite food: Skunk Milk
Machine type: AW1600
I just bought an RT20 off ebay and am awaiting deliver.

It will be used with the organ voice on an M Audio 88sx in an attempt to get a somewhat believable hammond sound.

Does anyone have experience with the boss leslie cabinet sim ?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:21 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
Having actually played one of several "Leslie" sims and emulators , I still find that nothing sounds like a real rotary speaker and its true dopler sound reflecting not only from the cabinet but from thr room walls as well. I thought the RC20 display was a little on the flashy-cheesey side but did notice it conveyed a lot of information about the high and low rotor's speed and direction from a standing position. Gotta give 'em a plus on that one as a real Leslie speed / brake switch is nearly impossible to see in a gig setting. After hearing it some on a Hammond M3 and B3 , I quickly decided it was a better guitar effects pedal than a Leslie sim. In larger venues with nearby walls the Leslies far outshine the sims as microphone choices and placement add so much more charactor when you have it on chorus spin , step on the brake and let the low rotor (chorale) slowly take over. One of those things a sim just won't do well. Also kinda like it's hard to get a sim to recreate using the brake to modulate the low rotor without turning it completely off.

You made a great purchase for studio work and the average person probably won't notice the difference. But......I can spot a Leslie clone a mile away. Once you use a real one , so will you.

Ever get a chance check out a Leslie model 2101. Price has come way down. Also the Motion Sound Low Pro (low rotor only) with it's built in amp combined with the 2101 (high rotor only) are my studio weapons of choice. The 147 is collecting dust now and sucks moving it.

congrats on your purchase , I think you picked from the top 3 leslie sims and the more you play with it , the better it will sound.

msg

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:56 pm 
Finds Manual Useful

Thanks for the advice Geno.

My keyboard doesn't have drawbars + so I will always struggle to get a hammondesque sound but I hope that the new pedal gets me closer. 150 bucks is about all I can spend without the missus kicking up a fuss so a real leslie is out of reach.

Of course my playing ability is also a factor as my keyboard skills are really basic (eg I record 1 hand at a time).

A lot of people say that the rt20 is better suited for guitar + of course it will never stand up against the real thing. However it is encouraging that you as a hammond man thinks that it is ok.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:18 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

$150 on a decent used one is about right.

Instead of pulling drawbars (if your unstated keyboard brand allows) , you could split the keyboard between two different patches. One could be set up a a chord or comping patch and the other a raspy distorted rock style or whatever is desired.

Might be able to help you more if I knew more about yer setup.

msg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:24 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Great to see you back Geno. Your straight to the point technical know how has been very helpful to lots of us.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:15 am 
Finds Manual Useful

Glad to hear that you are back on your feet + at home again.

My keyboard is an M-audio prokeys 88sx, which has a single B3 voice. It also has midi capability, which I know nothing about. I would be grateful for any assistance but like to keep things simple if at all possible.

The keyboard is a stage keyboard + I understand that one of the good things about it is that players can leave their computers at home. I like that idea a lot.

Get well(er) soon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:02 pm 
Mr. Electonica Dude

That's a nice giging keyboard. Simple , full midi functional , 88 keys , and full split/layering and velocity curves. Somethng you can certainly grow into and is not soon to be outdated. (Yes , we are still in midi ver.1.0 since it was invented over 2 decades ago) If you are wanting a more serious tonewheel sound check out a used EMU B3 rack synth. All you gotta do is connect the midi out from your controller to the midi in of the rack synth. Of course the audio out cables are then moved from the controller to the rack synth and presto ! 256 b3 voices are available to the controller. And of course you can plug the outputs of any rack synth into your DT-20.

See midi ain't all that hard.

Happy tone wheelin'

msg

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:41 am 
Finds Manual Useful

Geno,

I thought that I had replied to this earlier, but apparently not.

Anyway, the pedal has still not arrived yet. Perhaps I can enlidt your help after I received the thing & come to terms with it if that is OK with you.

Thanks again !

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:16 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Anytime Bro........record some stuff and post so we can all benefit.

msg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:00 pm 
Finds Manual Useful

Geno,

The RT20 arrived yesterday + so far so good. I does give a leslie like sound + it is fun to switch between the fast + slow speeds. The only problem that I am having is working the brake. You have to step on both pedals at exactly the same time or else you turn the effect off ! I cannot worry about simulating draw bars at the moment as I have my hands full working the pedal while trying to play at the same time. No wonder Garth Hudson looks insane. ! With a lot of practice I think I'll get the hang of it. In the meantime I am listening very closely to organ players trying to figure out how they play

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:21 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Forget about the brake at first. Just learn when to change speeds then on to the brake. You won't use it in very song anyway. Sometimes you don't even change speeds.

Experiment with runng just the top rotor or the bottom one instead of both . Because I'm using separate Leslies for bass and treble I can brake the bass and spin the treble. Try this too if it's allowed.

msg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:21 am 
Finds Manual Useful

I can either work the top, the bottom or the brake. Can't mix & match.

Changing speeds is a new thing but I am really enjoying myself !

I have not tried this thing out with a guitar yet. I am not a fan of the guitar/leslie effect but it may be useful with lap steel, which I sometimes use to create a "wash".

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:17 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

The classic Leslie guitar sound could be obtained from the old Fender Vibratone cabinet (made by Leslie) It only had a 10 inch low rotor with the highs were filtered off. To simulate the Vibratone set the low rotor speed to about 50 rpm and high speed to around 300 or so. (that's what my old one clocked) Turn the treble rotor off. A lot of Hammond players perfer to turn off the low rotor and just run the pedals and low freqs to a conventional cabinet. I think sometimes this is a good way to unmud a mix , especially if a bass guitar and drum is there.

msg