The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:10 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:50 pm 
Dude

Favourite food: Cheese
Hi,
Basically, I was reconfiguring my midi routing setup, and got a bit confused...

The aw1600 offers a "midi-thru" option (or so it claims). It is possible, according to the manual, to use this to forward midi information recieved on either of the two usb ports. Well, this seems a bit odd, given there only seems to be one usb port on the thing!! This is further confuddled by the fact that within the settings screen for midi-thru, you can choose usb1->midi, usb2->midi, and even usb1->usb2!!!!!
-So, what's going on here?
-Has anyone got their head round how these settings work?
-Has anyone had experience using the 1600 as a usb<-->midi interface?
-Successful experience??

Also, and this was the thing that stumped me in the first place, why is there no "midi.in -> midi.out/thru" option in the settings screen?!!!!! Surely that would have been a sensible implementation?
-Is it possible to set it up to work like that? (i.e. midi.in -> (through to) -> midi.out)

At the back of the manual there is a diagram of signal flow or something similar, which suggests that it is possible (i.e. there appears to be a continuous line from the midi-in to midi-out sections.

I await some words of wisdom from a more knowledgeable source.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:05 am 
Dude

Machine type: AW1600
I would like to know to. I have a a few midi patchbays I can get my hands on but I would like to use the out on the 1600 as a thru like it says it can. But on that when I go to the midi menu under midi thru the only options are usb 1 and usb 2? How will that help me chain another device after the 1600 on the midi chain? Any help would be great. Thanks

Leadplayer, John Dullebawn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:06 pm 
Website Slayer and Problem Solver

As far as USB1 and USB2, the USB connection might be capable of handling 2 MIDI connections on one cable. Look at the MIDI driver settings on the PC and see if there are USB1 & 2 listed.

I did get my AW1600 working with Cubase on my PC for recording and playing back fader movements using MIDI control messages. This was using only the USB cable.

Can't help much on the other stuff. Also, I'm traveling, so I can't fire up my equipment to experiment.

Good luck,

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:38 pm 
Dude

Since starting this thread I have been unable to set my aw1600 to send anything out of the midi out port that has come from the midi in port. I have come to the conclusion that, unless I have missed something, it is not possible. If anyone thinks I'm wrong I would love to hear from you :)

I assume that there are two midi connections on the one usb cable. Can anyone enlighten me as to the reason for this.
What practical purpose could this be?
-Is it so you can send data to the aw1600 over "usb1" and use it to send thru data from "usb2" from the midi out port?
-If so, what practiacl purpose would the or could the "usb1->usb2" midi thru setting be used for. I mean, if it's only one usb cable, you'll just be sending exactly the same data back to the computer it has come from, right??

Also, is it just me or is the "note velocity" method of setting (the few midi-controllable) fx parameters totally retarded? I assume it's possible to use a program to convert a cc message to a note velocity(?), but I mean, c'mon!! Why on earth?!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:43 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
OK ......lets back up here a minute. First off , the 1600 is NOT a sequencer and does not record or play back midi note or instrument data. It will however transmit or recieve live button pushes , fader movements scene changes , etc. If you want these things automated then they must be recorded to an external sequencer synched to the transport of the recorder.

As far as USB and midi IN , OUT/THRU are concerned , to have bi-directional control either two midi cables must be used or one USB cable if the other device supports USB. The midi out transmits the internally analog data from the 1600 to this terminal. When midi thru is selected , any midi data presented to the midi input is duplicated at the midi thru connector to be used by other midi devices.

Maybe someone else can enlighten you in the USB port 1 and 2 config. I don't speak USB very well. :lol:

msg

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:58 pm 

I think the USB MIDI ports and the actual MIDI connectors are completely separate. The MIDI THRU connector only outputs what comes into the MIDI IN connector (not what comes in the USB MIDI IN). See manual page 22, circled item 10 and note where it refers to "jack" (i.e. connector).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:43 pm 
Dude

MSG - "OK ......lets back up here a minute. First off , the 1600 is NOT a sequencer and does not record or play back midi note or instrument data. It will however transmit or recieve live button pushes , fader movements scene changes , etc. If you want these things automated then they must be recorded to an external sequencer synched to the transport of the recorder."

I am aware that this is the case, when I said I have been unable to set myaw1600 to send anything out of the midi out port that has come from the midi in port, I was just referring to "midi-thru" (real-time), not recording/playback of midi data. I see that this post could easily have been misinterpreted to mean that I had played in some data (e.g. instrument data) and expected it to somehow play it back, but I do (mostly) understand what I'm doing (kinda).

HogTime - "I think the USB MIDI ports and the actual MIDI connectors are completely separate. The MIDI THRU connector only outputs what comes into the MIDI IN connector (not what comes in the USB MIDI IN). See manual page 22, circled item 10 and note where it refers to "jack" (i.e. connector)."

You are right about item 10, pg 22. It does imply that the usb midi and din midi ports/interfaces are somehow seperate, however... it specifically states that the midi out/thru jack CAN BE INTERNALLY SWITCHED TO FUCTION AS EITHER A MIDI OUT JACK (TRANSMITTING INTERNALLY GENERATED DATA) OR A MIDI THRU JACK (RETRANSMITTING WHAT IS RECEIVED AT THE MIDI IN JACK). But it is how to do that which is the very problem with which I am wrestling!!! As mentione in my first post, I cannot find the switch or menu/sub-menu which allows you to do this.

~Incidentally, pae 215 of the manual, item 2 (MIDI data flow diagram) suggests that USB-1 (IN), USB-2 (IN), and MIDI-IN, can be treated as a single unit, as can the group: USB-1 (OUT), USB-2 (OUT), and MIDI-OUT. The "THRU" bus/channel/routing on this diagram implies pretty explicitly that data can be sent "THRU" from any of these first group, to any of the second, implying that it most definitely should be possible to go thru from usb1->usb2, or usb1(or usb2)->midi(out), or midi(in)->midi(out), or even midi(in)->usb1(or usb2). I really hope we're all being very slow here and someone will explain the simple and obvious procure I'm missing, as, so far, I'm still confused, and think I'm back pretty much exactly where I started! It kinda surprises me that this issue isn't already addressed in depth on here, if it actually is the case that the manual is incorrect about this. It makes me think perhaps it is myself, the user, with the problems, and someone will come and show me the error of my ways!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:37 am 

Re MIDI Thru: see page 158 in the manual for the UTILITY - MIDI 1 screen.

Contrary to what I thought, it is possible to route USB MIDI to the MIDI Thru connector. You cursor to the dotted line fields to the right of the THRU row and then use the jog wheel to make a selection.

Under the THRU feature description it says this: "When this setting is enabled, no internally generated AW1600 MIDI data is transmitted". A little ambiguous. Don't know if this means nothing would go out the MIDI OUT connector, even though it was set to be active, or it's referring to the THRU connector.

Give it a go. I have no way to test it.