The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:18 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:12 am 
City Slicker

Favourite food: zaaa
I finally was able to sell an old PA I had sitting around and scrounged up $260 for a new mic or two...hopefully. I basically record vocals and guitar at the same time. I just picked up a new Breedlove J350 with LBraggs pickup. I had been previously recording guitar direct in and using an MXL990 for vocals. When I used the MXL it sounded a bit thin and far away sounding and also picked up a slight bit of the guitar. Can anyone out there recommend a mic setup for my situation? Thanks again!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:59 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
I have recorded lots of vocals with an MXL 990, with good results. If it is sounding thin, perhaps you are a bit off the mic, or a bit too far away. A few inches is critical, when it comes to utilizing the bass proximity characteristics of your mic.

the best (???) mic in my cabinet is an AKG 535 - very plain looking, hand held - extremely versatile. i have done many vox with it too, as well as guitars, overheads, stereo (pair) recordings. About $350.

Beyond that - I don't think you can go wrong with the Studio Project line for the $$$. And lots of guys around here recommend the Rhodes NT1. I have limited exp. with these, but the few times I have used one I found them very responsive - and they are in your price point region too I believe.

as for guitar bleed, get on that mic to utilize the proximity, so you may need a little less gain - which would help your situation. Have you tried recording the guitar separately (hopefully to a click or metronome), so your vocal will be free of bleed? Or work as you have, guit lined in, sing along during take but not with keeping vox in mind, then redo vox once you have lined guit in place.

Keep at 'er