The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: AW16G refuses to record
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:06 am 
Lone Star

Favourite food: Pizza
Machine type: AW16G
Hi, I'm new here. I've been using an AW16G that I bought out of the box from a student and I've been loving it for 4 months using it alot (I had filled up about half the memory), except...

I went away for four days, I came back and had a musician waiting to track some songs for me, and the AW16G wouldn't record. The transport system works fine, but the machine does not want to record!

I saved all my songs onto my computer, and then reinitialised the hard disc, but to no avail.

I reloaded the CD demo version1.00, but still no record.

I've tried the docs link that I found in the forum to install the OS 1.06, but I can't seem to get it to copy correctly. Toast keeps telling me to get a cue.

I will keep trying to get the machine up and running again, but I'm very frustrated.

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks in advance,

john

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:20 am 
Tenderfoot

Machine type: AW2400
Do you mean that the REC button will not light or it does but you get no signal recorded?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:56 am 
Lone Star

The rec light lights when I have my finger pressed on it, but as soon as I lift it off, it's gone...

I also tried to hold down the rec button, but nothing records.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:34 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Welcome to the forum, Johnny.

It's strange, given the fact that you used the machine before successfully. So, the chance of this being an operator error would be small.

Just to make absolutely sure... you press rec & play simultaneously, right? For if you only press the record button and then release it, nothing will happen.

You might want to download the "recording 101" from the docs page http://docs.dijonstock.com for step by step instructions on how to make a recording. Just to make sure you're not forgetting anything silly.

r

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:25 pm 
Footswitch Genius

Favourite food: Jarlsberg
you haven't got a dud footswitch plugged into it have you? or something else accidentally in the footswitch socket? if so, try removing anything plugged in there and try again

also make sure you're not in auto-punch mode by mistake

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:33 pm 
Lone Star

In fact, I left the footswitch jack in the back, but the pedal came undone by accident and i didn't realize...

Thanks so much, I feel very stupid but also so HAPPY!

Cheers and thanks to you all,

johnny

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:04 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Clive, you genius! :thumbright: You deserve you own rank.

Glad it worked Johnny. 8)

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:52 pm 
Dude

Favourite food: Donuts
I have the same problem, but perhaps a different cause. I purchased my AW16G about 13 years ago, and happily recorded with it for years. The band broke up, and I left the AW16G in dry, cool storage for more years. Next time I took it out for my son's garage band it wouldn't record - the RECORD button will not remain lit when the PLAY button is pressed.

I have no foot switch jack in the back of the unit; instead of a jack I have an open hole. When I open the unit I can see where someone took a wire cutter and removed the jack, leaving two stubs above the board, one stub flush with the board, and one stub sunken below the board. Could this be causing the RECORD button to malfunction?

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:31 am 
Marker Magician

Sounds plausible, but some one else will have to give opinion as I am good at clipping wires but not so good at what they do!!

I might suggest a bench test using the punch in utility> set in and out points and then engage punch in. hit play > you will hear a roll -in leading to start marker, at the start marker the record button should start to flash .. and then stop flashing when playback rolls past out marker. That is a rehearsal loop. If that flashing happened it says the machine wants to record between the in out points. Next try the same thing, this time pressing both play and record. this time in stead of a flashing light the record should be lit continuously. If that is the case then recording has occurred.

For both of these test there need be an input linked to a track in the Direct Recording screen. After all, it would be hard to punch in if there is no input.

If the project you may have just punched in a blank spot is important, then hit undo should anything have been recorded.

Hope you get it sorted. Any idea why the footswitch jack was removed?? Do you recall who did that..?

Maybe there are some clues in the schematic block diagram on last page of manual?

Message a Yamaha tech. they have been helpful to others in the recent past with AW technical questions

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:31 am 
Dude

Favourite food: Donuts
Thanks for your quick response. The jack was missing when I purchased the unit.

I'll give the rehearsal mode recording a try to see if I can get it to auto record.

I can hear the input through the monitors so I am certain I have signal to record.

I've also wrapped a piece of tin foil around a 1/4" plug to see if the contacts for the foot switch are still active. Sure enough, when I close the circuit between the two protruding contacts I can start/stop the PLAY function.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:39 pm 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: home made tortillas
Machine type: AW4416
I've also wrapped a piece of tin foil around a 1/4" plug to see if the contacts for the foot switch are still active.

tin foil to the rescue ! :headbang:

tinfoil is also good for keeping aliens from reading your thoughts ! :alien:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:41 am 
Marker Magician

It is best to place the tinfoil under a pyramid shaped hat, shiny side out.