The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:18 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:08 pm 
Wrangler

Favourite food: food
Machine type: AW16G
Thanks very much Robbie and Blackbeer - you've cleared up a lot of confusion for me!

CDA.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:31 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
You're welcome. Let us know how you progress.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:33 pm 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
Hi Guys,

Don't forget that if the drive has been used before you have to erase the masterboot record. You will need a tool from the drive manufacturers website. Every decent brand has one. If the drive has a masterboot record present (which means it has been used before by some other os) it won't work and trow this "can't load os" image...

Good luck.

If any questions remain you can contact me directly.

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:44 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

OK so throwing away partitions isn't enough.

gotta remember that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:50 pm 
Wrangler

Thanks again everybody. I am much more confident about this now. I'm now trying to decide whether to go for it or just get a drive (or maybe 2) for standby - if it ain't broke, and all that!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:14 am 
G-crazy

cda wrote:
Thanks again everybody. I am much more confident about this now. I'm now trying to decide whether to go for it or just get a drive (or maybe 2) for standby - if it ain't broke, and all that!

Yeah, standby might be the best approach. I'm one of the rare people here who have used the 16G for more than six years without even re-formatting the HD. I use my G often, and it just keeps kicking without major probs. I'm hesitant to do anything that might shake up my good luck unless I can see a very clear advantage possible. Maybe I'm just lazy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:34 am 
No More Coasters!

Machine type: AW1600
I've had my G for the same amount of time ( at least 6 years ), and I only formatted for the first time last week. I think I had 18 song projects on the G, which I backed up before I formatted. I've loaded two songs back in since the format and started a new song project, with no problems to report.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:24 pm 
Wrangler

^^Thanks guys. Yes - I've decided to stand-by with the hd replacement. I was teetering towards changing it because I also wanted to see how easy (or not) it might be to replace the main face-plate. Mine is very dirty and aged, and I was thinking if I found a dead g I could replace it. I don't know why it's gone like it has. I can understand areas getting grimy, and being able to wash them clean again. However, my g has gone really black in places and the paint is kind of bubbling up and peeling off. I've really looked after it as well. However, I think I have a tendency to 'lean' into anything I am using. Oh, and I shower at least once a month, so hygene is not an issue...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:24 pm 
Optimized

Favourite food: swiss cheese fondue
Hi all!
i'am proud to be computer free in my creative process now!!! finaly.
bought a second hand aw16G!!
GGGeeeee!!! fat machine!
after having computers at work, in my private life, in my moms cottage and in my grandads car, i managed to throw it out of my studio.

Now i got it with os 1.00

thought i'd give it a try with the 1.06...

burned disc, pressed SONG and REMOTE while starting up... process sucessfull! "press enter to restart"....

but then i thought i would check...

start up holding utility:
boot OS: v.1.00.....?
what have i missed? have i missed something or is it just the message that is displaying wrong?

Anyways, it still works fine it seems... but maybe you could help me here?

I am so glad to see you guys still keeping this thing alive!!!!!

love,
/reSet

http://sakrecoer.com

edit: have nothing against computer in music realy... just think that post editing in copmuter is sortof an office work more than a rock sollid beat and groove thing...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:31 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Hi Reset, welcome to the forum.

As I understand it, and I hope I understand it correctly, there are actually two OS's: the boot OS and the actual workstation software (which isn't really an OS). I think you upgraded the latter. There must be a way to find out the version number of either of the two, but I fail to remember how. I hope someone will come along and give us more details.

Congrats on the purchase. You will love the machine.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:14 am 
Optimized

Favourite food: swiss cheese fondue
thank you Robbit!
:frank2:
indeed, i tryed to update it a second time, and one line displayed some sort of diagram in this form:

os 1.06 <-1.06

so until somebody can explain this a little, i will assume it is happy, spinning and eating my groovy waves :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:27 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

I assume it worked. :)

Happy grooving!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:06 pm 
Sodbuster

Favourite food: Pasta
Hi there. I'm sort of 'well-versed" in wiping a hard drive and re-installing an operating system as it applies to a PC. What I'm wondering is this; I would attach the hdrive to a pc, use a win98 startup disc to access dos, and then use a program called WDCLEAR to write the data to 0's. Once in this state, can I install the hdrive into the "G", or do I need to format it first? Hopefully I'm clear on what I'm asking (I'm not the most eloquent feller :D ).

Great site by the way.

I bought my AW16G a year and a 1/2 ago and did not see this site until yesterday.
What surprises me is that there are posts here as recent as yesterday. I would have thought this was old news and everyone would have moved on.

Thanks for any help you can give...Doug.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:31 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Never done it myself but I understand that the HD cannot be a formatted HD if you want to install the OS fresh.

Yes, there is still life in this forum, as there is in many former G-owners (and current G-owners, and new G-owners, new referring to owner, not to G :) ).

But why would you want to do that. There is a HD format option in the menu. Works for me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:19 pm 
Sodbuster

Favourite food: Pasta
Robbie wrote:
Never done it myself but I understand that the HD cannot be a formatted HD if you want to install the OS fresh.

Yes, there is still life in this forum, as there is in many former G-owners (and current G-owners, and new G-owners, new referring to owner, not to G :) ).

But why would you want to do that. There is a HD format option in the menu. Works for me.

O.k., I was mis-reading the hdrive install part of the thread.

So I can wipe the drive, and simply install it and the "G" will do the rest?

Thanks, Doug.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:54 pm 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
To all those struggling to get life back in to the aw16G i have posted my experience and some tips in the topic "What are you thankful for ?". Hell, lets not make things difficult. I'll repeat here.

So seeing that there are people still strugling with the harddisk replacement and os upgrades i thought i'd tell you about my experience. From what i have seen there are two things that stop people from getting it done. First of all you do not need a new harddisk. An old one will do but have to erase the master boot record. Doing this requires the disktools from the manufacturer. I have downloaded mine from hitachy. http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/d ... 14_b00.iso. This an iso file you have to burn to a cd. Next find an old laptop and put the disk you want to use in that laptop. Then boot the laptop with the cd you just burned. The rest should be relatively straight forward.

Secondly it's the "can't load os message". This means that the cd with aw16prog.bin is unreadable by the aw16g. You should burn it slow but ( i used 10 speed) Also make sure you write a disk at once ! not a track at once. The cd needs to be closed. I also used a ISO + joliet 106 char filename format. Most burning software supports multiple formats but the aw16g can not read all of them. Go for the most compatible format.

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:42 pm 
Welcome to the Forum!

Favourite food: pizza
bassoprofundo wrote:
My attempt registered this:
ERROR: CAN'T LOAD OS FILE
PLEASE TURN OFF

I have version 1.01

Help???

Mine was doing the same thing....Try holding down the Record and Monitor buttons while hitting the power button to turn on. It will ask you if you want to reformat the Hard Drive. Let go of the Rec and Monitor buttons and press Enter to reformat. You will lose everything on the machine but it will be back to normal. Hope it works for you

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:47 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Thanks, MC, and welcome to the forum. Make yourself at home.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:44 pm 
Lone Star

Hi,

I want to update my AW16G Operating System from V1.02 to V1.06.

From Yamaha Germany I received a ZIP File with a short discription and the Files AW16PROG(firmware program) and AW16BOOT(Boot software)

What I not found is a reference, about the stored Songs on the HD, destroyed the Update this songs, or can I work after the update further on with the previous stored Song data?

thanks for help.

Herbert

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:41 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Hi Herbie and welcome to the forum.

I think it will not erase your songs, but I'm not sure. I would not matter to me as I would make a backup anyhow. My advice would be to make a backup and perform the upgrade.

I'm very much interested in a copy of that CD. Would it be possible for you to put the contents in a zip file? I hope you can do that for me. If you tell me how big the zip file is I'll arrange something for you to upload the file to.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next