The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:56 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:54 pm 
Greenhorn

hey guys..just wondering..i have to back up my album on a disk and the last time i used cd-rw i could NOT restore the files back on to the G...it kept saying insert disk 2?...what the hell..there was no "disk 2". Is it cause i used a cd-rw disk rather than a normal cd-r disk?..Is that what i should be using for this procedure? And does anyone know what can be done to get the files from the cd-rw disk back on the G?...Has this happened to anyone out there..any suggestions..please and thanks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:28 pm 
Tinhorn

I've used both CD-R and CD-RW and not had any trouble as long as I bought "quality" brands of disks. The restores went fine on both disk types. After backing up number of disks on CD-RW I realized that cost was becoming a factor and since I probably wouldn't back up any one song more than 3 times, that CD-R were a cheaper way to go (around 15 cents each).

For the file that you have on CD-RW which doesn't work you might try copying data to your computer hard drive then copy back to another CD. However, you may have a disk error on the original but it's worth a try.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:40 pm 
G-crazy

Machine type: AW16G
What Denny said. Also, concerning the "insert disk 2" alert--that indicates, correctly or not, that the original back-up required more than one disk. That's happened to me many times when I'm backing up particularly large files. When you were backing up your file, are you sure that you didn't miss a prompt asking for disk 2? If so, that would explain the problem. Just a possibility. Good luck with the rescue. J.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:52 pm 
Greenhorn

so what computer program do i load these files to?...what do i need to download..remeber i have a AW16G

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:57 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
An AW16G backup is nothing more than a file in DOS format.

Take the CD-RW, copy the file to your PC, take a new CD-R, burn the file on it. Then, using that CD-R, try to restore the backup on the G (what Denny suggested).

For burning the CD you can use any CD burning software, like Nero. I'm sure there are free alternatives.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:44 am 
Tenderfoot

Machine type: AW2400
I always use CD-R, usually TDK Gold. These have come down in price and are currently about $AUD0.20 here, a small price to pay for ensuring you don't lose the work you've slaved over. I have used cheaper Imation and Verbatim with no probs but you only have to pick up a TDK Gold to feel the difference. I buy them in 100pks although you can now get 200pks which are cheaper per disc.

I back up multiple times per session and, if you sequentially number and date them then you can go back to any point to restore. I simply drop them onto a spare spindle as they are made.

When I have finished each project, I make duplicate backups in 16G, AW2816, ST_WAV and WAVTrk1-16 for storage. I then copy each of these to my computer HD. I have never had a restore problem.

I hope this helps.