The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:21 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Studio Projects LSD-2
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:01 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Geno, and other who have worked with this mic

are you still pulling this mic out of the cabinet now and again? You said in earlier threads you used it to mic the grand piano. How would you suggest placing it, and do you use it in the shock mount it came with, or something more substantial? I've only used the stock mount, but find it a bit "cheesy" ( excuse the pun - but it was intended), particularly when you attempt to position the instrument off the vertical axis. Love the results - I,ve used it more for Mid/Side tracking than I ever would have imagined

Byron

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:13 pm 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
Yes Byron , I'm still using it quite frequently on the piano. It also works well mid-side on accoustic guitar. one of my favorite mics.

Because the thing is HUGE and heavy , I just make sure everything is tight on the stand rigging. I made a horizontal truss from two heavy studio grade boom stands by connecting the arms together with drum hardware clamps. This way I can hang all the mics I want with no fear of movement. If you want I can post a picture of the rig.

When I bought this mic from a studio news producer , he included a "dead cat" windsock made especially for the LSD-2. Because of it's size it really looks like a skinned dead cat. :lol:

The shock mount is good enough and I'm placing the mic right above my head in the Blumlein pattern with the lid full open. The stereo image is much the same as sitting at the bench. Low tones on the left , highs on the right.

If I want more hammer noise I'll stick in a couple of SDCs at about C2 and C5 , 6 inches or so from the felts and blend them into the mix.

I have also had good results blending in an Omni placed 10 feet away in the center of the room.

msg

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:10 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
thanks Geno. when you say above your head for the LSD - 2 - How High above, and do you place it vertically or angle it down? as soon as you put not much of an angle the elastics in the mount do not support it well at all, I find. the mounting rig you spoke of - yes I would be interested in an image if you have one. I do believe I may have spotted it in an earlier post, but don't know where to look.

thanks for the info.

byron

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:11 pm 
Mr. Electonica Dude

I put it directly above my head as close as I can without hitting it or slumping at the bench. Good posture is a must to play well.

I'll go mount it up and take a picture afterwhile.

Yes it does sag a bit in the mount. Maybe some stiffer o-rings the right size might work better. In that regard the shockmount is adequate at best.

msg

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:57 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Here ya go Byron. I didn't have time to get the mic outa the closet but the photo and the drawing will give you a better idea of what I came up with using two boom stands. Mics can be hung countless ways with this setup. Drummers have such cool hardware. The clamp , whatever it is called was about 15 bucks @ banjo center.

Hope this helps some.

BTW , I point the LSD-2 at the open lid aiming slightly down towards the center of the lid so it catches the reflections just like your ears do.

msg