The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:01 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: DIY Sites?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:31 pm 
Adult.

Hi guys...

I'm getting the cellar set up for getting some rythm tracks recorded, am actively seeking any and all websites offering DIY help on odd and sundry sound manipulation hardware (baffles, isolation panels, the like). My project is going to have to adhere to a strict budjet (somewhere very close to $0), so there'll be a lot of outhouse engineering...

Please post any links for what you might think are gem sites for the acoustics DIYer, I have some but I know the vast chasm of the internet holds worlds of places I haven't been yet...

Thanks

Eric

Post subject: Re: DIY Sites?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:44 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Machine type: AW16G
Anything I might recommend would come from homerecording.com, and you hang out there much more than I do. I'm assuming you've already perused Ethan Winer's site?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:24 pm 
Adult.

Yep, got Ethan's...BTW, I pretty much quit HR. Too much sniping and BS. Even deleted the bookmark.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:33 pm 
Cowhand

This site has links to all kinds of recording info.
Project Studio Handbook

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:32 pm 
Adult.

Yepper SG, got that too...

I've hit a lot of the main studio forums and guru websites, but in a g**gle search for "DIY reflexion filter" I came across a lot of little gems that were created out of necessity and lack of funds, the situation I find myself...Hanging duvets is all well and good when there are walls in the equation, but I'm going to be building portable panels because they'll need moved quite a bit.

...I'd also like to find better plans for a DIY SE Reflexion Filter...For one, finding Sonex or Auralex type foam without having to buy a whole box at a time...

I thought that mayhaps some of you guys might have links to lesser known sites that I may have overlooked...

Post subject: Starting the project...
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:22 am 
Adult.

OK, for those who might have an interest, I bought some materials today, totaled about $65(US)...I've combined some ideas from different sources, and due to the lack of certain materials I've made do with a few unorthodox choices...

This is for my version of a $300 SE Reflexion Filter;
I picked up some generic metal strapping, 1/8 inch galvanized steel, punched for 3/8" bolts. For the sides I found some heavy L-channel with the same bolt holes. This will compose the outside diameter framing. For backing I'm using a 1/2 inch wire square-mesh fencing stock, for weight considerations and airflow...Total outside dimension will be 24" high by 36" wide...Before the radius is fabricated...

I found three different densities of foam, a medium-light eggshell foam like you'd find in a mic case, a much heavier density flat foam, 1 inch thick, and an open-celled 1/8" flat foam that I'll be utilizing to create airspace between the two heavier foams.

For the back I wanted to get some rigid fiberglas panel, but not only does no one here sell it, they haven't heard of it. I even went to a local HVAC contractor that I know, no cigar. So I'm using some 1/4" carpet underlay (NOT the foam), akin to a heavy cargo blanket.

One thing I haven't quite got figured out yet is whether the open mesh fencing will be alright alone or if I should line it with an aluminum foil...Rigid fiberglas has a backing on it and I haven't read anywhere whether the panel needs modified for acoustic purposes, so I'm leaning towards lining the back...

I'm using 3/8" machine bolts and locknuts for the frame and to secure the foam I picked up some spray on foam-specific adhesive...

...I haven't decided how to mount or hang this thing yet...

Hey, if anyone wants to chime in to lend a bit of advice or tell me what a fool I am for throwing 65 bucks away, please feel free...If it works out great I'll post a pic or two...Heck, if it turns out shitty I'll post the pics anyway... :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:33 am 
Tinhorn

hey,

am digging the heck out of your fabricating, improvising and such......would love to buy an se reflexion thingie.......but dont like the price much..........doubt it'd be worth the money for me............................I live in buffalo.......it gets cold here.......I see you're in minnesnowta...........I am shocked that you don't have rigid fiberglass panel there............stunned I tell you...........

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 3:15 pm 
Adult.

Hey muse

Buffalo, eh? You get the snow, we get the 40 below...

Yeah, I too thought the fiberglass would be the easiest material to find...

Well, I have what I'm going to use (I can always disassemble #5 and retry if something goes horribly wrong), but I'm gonna digest this plan of mine for an extra day before putting it together...

Eric

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:32 am 
Tinhorn

believe it or not, it hasn't been snowin' much here.......I am even thinking of trying to trade my snowblower for something more useful, like a ribbon mic or somethin................but we still have cold...........not 40 below temp...........but 20 below wind chill or so........what do you mean about disassemble #5 and retry?..........anyway, still think its way cool that you would make your own reflexion gizmo for way less money......

stay warm,
charlie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:59 am 
Adult.

muselove wrote:
.......what do you mean about disassemble #5 and retry?..........anyway, still think its way cool that you would make your own reflexion gizmo for way less money......

stay warm,
charlie

Heh heh, one of my favorite movies from the 80's was called Short Circuit, about a little neurotic robot named #5, who was obsessed with not getting disassembled...I apply it to any of my hairbrained projects that I am clueless of the outcome...

And yeah, my dad gave me the lust for McGyvering when I was a wee tyke...If I have time, an idea or need, and no money, which is usually the case, I'll rig stuff...

I went ahead and started this thing today...I'm amazing myself so far. I hope it performs as well as it's going to look...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:35 am 
Tinhorn

way cool......never saw short circuit....bet I'd like it though.......I'm a repair, fix it guy by nature........troubleshooting's my forte.........(not to be confused with my pianoforte)...........fabbing stuff up out of whatever material's available is part of the routine.........glad to hear your creation is going good..........

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:17 pm 
The Reverend

Favourite food: cheddar-lol
Machine type: AW16G
love to see some pics of the project as you go along...I do a lot better with visuals...salud! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:00 pm 
Adult.

bokchoy wrote:
love to see some pics of the project as you go along...I do a lot better with visuals...salud! 8)

Alas, bok my friend, I took a couple of shots of the parts, pre-assembly, but in my frenzy to put the thing together I failed to keep the camera handy. I will post a few shots, hope they give you the desired effect...

The unit is all but done, has been for two days now. All that's left to apply is the "egg-carton" lite foam for the exposed inner surface...

Eric