The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:38 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 4:08 am 
Professor Emeritus of BovineCompostology

Machine type: AW16G
Well, this may be the next best thing to motorized faders. Below are the steps that I have found that will allow you to record fader movements into Sonar and then have Sonar run the faders for mixdown.

upload yamaha template to sonar from the AW16G CD ROM

on the g:
open any pre existing song

put faders in the position you wish to start with and save as a scene

push utility button
the midi out column should have midi and clk highlighted
mmc column set to slave or master
MTC column master
midi ch column set to Tx 1 Rx all, pgm chg = tx rx, ctrl chg = 1

push the remote button
ch = 1-16
transport = normal
select 04 sonar from the software list

In Sonar
open the G template use "save as" to save the file
in the "panel" window the default "config (button in upper right) is set to track 18, change this if you need to. I'll assume you'll stick with the default.

go to Window>console
right click the slider switch for track 18 and check arm for automation
right click again and choose remote control
move the track 1 fader on the G a couple of times and hit the "learn" button in sonar. This should change the controler to 106. set the midi channel to 1 and click OK

You should now see the fader move in sonar as you move fader 1 on the G.

Repeat this process increasing the midi channel number by one as you animate each fader

Above the midi channel faders in sonar (17 on up) you'll see a small box marked "none". click it and select "all inputs" and assign the same number midi channel as you did with the fader remote control.
last, arm all automated midi channels for record.

Next go to the track window and arm tracks 18- 29 for record

now up to the top of the window: options>project>clock. click the midi synch radio button

zero the time and push R on your keyboard you should see message in the lower left hand corner that says "press <esc> to cancel: waiting for midi synch

OK, back to the G
zero your song, recall the scene (strange things happen to the faders otherwise as you can see in the fader window) and hit the G's play button, move the G's faders on the tracks you wish to manipulate volume. This will start the recording in sonar and you should be able to see event recordings on tracks 18-29.

Stop the g and zero it. In sonar rewind to the begining of the recording and push the spacebar (play) again you should receive the waiting for midi synch message. reset the scene on the g and push play and your automations should be running the G's faders, movements you can watch in the View > faders window.

If something ain't right ie. Sonar starts running the G or the G hangs up on a certain measure you have probably inadvertantly recorded a sysex message. To rid the beast go to the sonar "view" menu and select "events" In the events window scan each track to see if a sysex event was recorded when you find one or more delete them all.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:40 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
What version Sonar are you using Sir William ?

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:26 pm 
Professor Emeritus of BovineCompostology

Machine type: AW16G
Hey Geno. I haven't been around these parts much since summer, just busy that's all. Hope all is well with your health and well being. I'm pretty sure I'm using Sonar Home studio 4. It's the previous release to the current one. Anyway I've been automating quite a bit lately and basically it's becoming easier than described above. Now I simply right click the sonar fader and arm for automation then right click again and select remote control. Wiggle the fader-hit "learn" and usually "controller 91" populates the window. Make sure the midi channel on the bottom of the screen is appropriate and you should be all set.

Any idea what happended to Howard Cano? I was thinking about buying one of his gizmos to build a control surface, he seems to have vanished.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:39 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
Doin good Bill. Still waiting for my medical to clear Oklahoma City (FAA) They are backlogged with military pilot certs right now.

I'm running SONAR 6 Pro

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.