The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:59 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:18 pm 
G-crazy

Machine type: AW16G
Folks, a colleague of mine just bought a 1600 and sent me this question:

"Question for you: I'm assuming that when recording I can call up a reverb patch for the vocalist; HOWEVER, THIS WILL NOT BE RECORDED, ONLY HEARD IN THE HEAD SET. That's the way the 2816 works. Tried to find it in the manual but could not. Maybe I didn't look in the right place? Just let me know if that's how the reverb works on the 1600."

I have a 16g and was wondering if any of you 1600 users can respond.

Thanks!
J.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:41 pm 
Tenderfoot

Correct it is only the source that is recorded..
Tell your mate to have a look at the tutorial videos that I posted in the newbies section.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:48 pm 
The other man !!!

If the 1600 is the same as the G, just tell your friend to put the 'verb on the track, not the input, and it won't record unto the track.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:28 pm 
G-crazy

Thanks to you both for your quick, helpful responses. Seems to work the same as the G, so I'll spread the word.

J.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:05 pm 
City Slicker

:D Thanks Jeffrey:

Lixiviation or :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:00 pm 
Sodbuster

You can put the verb on the input, as long as you use it as a Send, & it won't record to track

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:25 pm 
City Slicker

I've been able to get the reverb in the cans AND not record it ONLY once. Seems like I'm missing a step somewhere when I try to patch the reverb ONLY to cans.

Can one of your talented folks just print a "Do this first, second, third," etc., type of instruction? I've read much material but it gets clogged in the analytical part of my brain, I think!

Thank you in advance.

Lixiviation

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:22 am 
City Slicker

:D :D

Let me rephrase my FX AW1600 question about reverb:

I want to hear reverb in the cans while"recording" a take; HOWEVER, I don't want the reverb recorded. I don't think this can be done.

It was possible to do this with the 2816; however, I'm not having any success with the 1600.

Perhaps Robbie or Mr. Skygod can tell me, "Yes or Nay."

Thanks,
Lix :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:55 am 
Tinhorn

thats the way that I record. I just finished a great session.

robbie and msg are masters so listen to them. but until they come along, i'll tell you one thing.

put your reverb on your tracks. NOT on your input.

select a track (your destination track). you should see it appear near the top of the screen where it tells you what input or track you want to do do something to. (in this case you definitely want it to say track).

now lets assume you've got the reverb type that you want loaded (or recalled) as a send (not an insert). if this sounds complicated, believe me, once you get it, it's really simple.

press the eff1 knob til you get to the send page. cursor to the track you want to add reverb to (and hear reverb on in your cans). cursor to the knob for that track. turn the eff1 knob or the data/jog wheel and watch the virtual knob move as you turn the physical one. you should be cooking.
et voila. se magnifique.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:59 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
It's a definite "yes" (I do it all the time) and in the above post, Muselove exactly described how to do it.

I even believe that effects are in send mode by default, so all you have to do is push the FX1 button and recall the effect you want, then select the track if which you want to hear the effect and turn it up, select the stereo track and turn it up.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:24 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Once you set up your recording (input to track) connections, the machine is in a default mode to listen to (monitor) the tracks, not the inputs. To see this, set up some channel assignments, then check the monitor screen as your next step. You will see that the inputs you have selected are not engaged, but all the tracks to which they are connected are. This is as it should be. At this point go to the effect (1 or 2) knob. Press it and get to the send screen (by pressing it again if need be). Make sure it is showing the TRACK assignments to the bus. If it says INPUT in the top left of the display, press any of the track buttons to toggle to the TRACK display. Dial up the amount of verb you want on the track # of one of your assignments . It is helpful to know also that once track assignments are made the machine does not let you monitor the engaged tracks until the recording process begins. So, start a take and you will hear the verb in the cans. If you try to hear it (the sound resulting from your assignment) before you start to record, the only way is to turn on (monitor) the input side of the assignment. If you add verb here, it will be recorded, so don't do this, unless you want the verb on the recording permanently. If you do a "test take" to hear the verb, you will then hear it on the tracks you dialed up. Simply undo the recording before your real take, record over it, delete it etc. Switch to a new virtual track for take two. You can set up and use the Autopunch utility in order to hear effects before you actually record a track, - useful, but with some limitations/ drawbacks as you will discover.

Regards,
Byron

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:46 pm 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
Well explained Byron. thanks

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:54 pm 
City Slicker

:D Yo Robbie, Muselove & Bryon:

Thank you very much for the reverb information. You guys should write the manual for the AW1600. I'm about to print your info and try it out in the studio.

Lix :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:15 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
It is helpful to know also that once track assignments are made the machine does not let you monitor the engaged tracks until the recording process begins.

Sorry - I must correct myself. This piece of my explanation is somewhat incorrect. The 1600 ( and G I assume) does let you hear the assigned tracks, and therefore any verb you add, before engaging the record function, when the machine is idle. What I was thinking about is that when you press play when track assignments are made, you are no longer able to monitor the assigned tracks. Therefore any attempt to play along to rehearse is thwarted. It is helpful to check the effects you will be monitoring (but not recording) when you do record by doing a test take so as to hear the effects within the context you will be playing to. You can use the Autopunch function to allow you press play and then strum/ sing along, but there are inconveniences to this - i.e. 1)set up; 2) the machine returns to the "in" point when you press stop - so you can't play along and then stop the machine to go over a passage you encounter during the rehearsal. You must find the needed passage and then set up the Autopunch again - this is not convenient at all. Therefore the often recommended method is to hit record, rehearse away, and then undo or record over your rehearsal takes.

Sorry for the misinformation about not being able to hear assigned tracks at all. This only true if you are trying to "play along" prior to pressing record.

Byron

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:13 pm 
Lone Star

Favourite food: filet mignon
Machine type: AW1600
:mrgreen: :frank2:

As an added bit of info:

When I have the music set up and I do a vocal, I just let the talent sing. If the first take clashes, I just use the UNDO tab and do the next take. I do not use reverb for the vocal talent--a techie once told me that it makes the singer work harder and do better with no reverb.

Later, I can add the reverb.

It's faster to just let the singer record and UNDO if needed to REDO. Also, it's easy to save one take and do another and pick and choose.

Green Hornet [-o<