The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:21 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Thickening em up
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:51 pm 
Dude

Ok my voice is not the best and its not the worst.......everytime we have been in the studio the engineer has managed to make it sound full and deep...................efforts on the digital studio make me sound ok but not quite right if you get my meaning...............Sounds to thin and toppy even with all the tricks i know.....Have doubled it and panned it etc plenty of effect etc.Everyone else says hey that sounds cool.............but i still think it sounds weedy.....compared to the sound we had in a studio......................Guy told me evryone hates their own voice and the worst thing you can do is try and produce your own voice........maybe he was right .......any killer tips tho for beefing it up a tad............

Post subject: Re: Thickening em up
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:38 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
I think this is a classical case of "hating your own voice". To enable us to help, please post a fraction of the recording of your voice that you think sounds good, and a fraction of the recording where it does not sound good.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:51 am 
Dude

probably a question youve been asked about 8 million times but what is the easiest way to upload songs for a computer novice .Bearing in mind i still call the dvd player a wireless............... and wonder how to get an lp in the cd player. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:54 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
You could go to a free service like soundclick. You can also use our own webbased mp3 player, for details see here: http://forum.dijonstock.com/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=4826, and obviously you can rent your own space and put it there.

Put the link in a post et voilá. Once you know how it works it's simple, but finding out can be hard... do not hesitate to ask for more information if you need help.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:32 am 
Review Guru

Favourite food: Vegetable Lasagne
I am the farthest thing from pro BUT...when it comes time to do my vox, a plan I have to beef them up is to take the full mix of music, bang it onto 4 track cassette, slow the speed down a little smack it back to digital then mileste the shat out of them by layering or effecting til im happy.

Im hoping by slowing it down just a tad, I wont have so much phonohobia like george costanza complains that his voice is so "hi and whiny'
HAAAAAAA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:55 pm 
Sodbuster

What are you using to record your VOX? as in Mics, open studio, Vocal Booth, Tube effects to warm up the vox? Stereo Pair?

Sometimes it's all down to mic placement, if your in a bright room with no carpet, curtains (Drapes) etc you'll get refleations that will artificially bighten your vox and make it sound thin, try going into a dead room, or hang some carpets, rugs etc from the walls even bed duvets work, also don't record too hot a signal -12db or -6db is plenty
I hate the sound of my voice when it's recorded, more so when it's played on someones CD player, i cringe
Listen to what your being told, if it fits and it works leave it. I'm sure your just being over self criticle.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:16 am 
Tenderfoot

Machine type: AW2400
You can thicken your voice unobtrusively by copying the vocal and delaying it only by about 5ms. This doesn't give doubling and you need to keep the copied voice much lower in volume and higher in reverb.

Another favourite of mine is to sing a harmony 3rd and push it way down in the mix so you can hardly hear it.

When I listen back to my earlier efforts, I obviously put everything but the kitchen sink on my vocals to try to hide my insecurity. It sounds bad. As with most effects, you need to back them off until they are just right and then a bit more.

EQ also plays a big part, depending on the timbre of your natural voice, but I find it helps more in settling the vocal into the mix. Try the Male Vocal libraries as a starting point.

If pitch is a problem, then I'd definitely use pitch correction. There's nothing you can do to make an out of pitch voice sound good, no matter how classy the effects. I couldn't get by without one and use it (almost) every time.

Remember the vocals need to be upfront as they are the most important element of the mix. So do your best to get the basic track right then go for it.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:19 am 
Boot Polisher

Favourite food: jambalaya
Machine type: AW1600
A thought (I'll try it soon to check it out, but my "studio" room is all tore up right now awaiting its new floor) - copy the voice, use compression on one copy, reverb on the other, then recombine...anyone tried this?

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.