The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:05 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: AW1600 Boot/Library disc
PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:14 pm 
Dude

Favourite food: Bar b q
Machine type: AW1600
Greetings....I'm new to the AW1600, having recently found a pristine unit in a pawn shop here in Northern Ontario. It was complete with all but the disc, and the libraries deleted from the drive. Any help with a disc copy or file transfer would be so appreciated.
of course any costs would be covered. Please message me if you can help..thanks in advance..

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:14 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
The disc is not necessary to get going with the machine. The disc would allow reloading of the banks of samples that can be called upon by the pads. also it has some software to facilitate utilizing the Aw as a control surface, through midi, for computer based platforms such as cubase.

To be honest, the pads samples do not seem to rate very prominently in the workflow of any of the users that pass through here. And i doubt you bought the machine to be a control surface.

So download record 101 from the docs page of this forum and give it a go.

The other caution about the disc is to avoid use of the Demo Song. If that is still on the songlist of the machine you bought, then you may want to learn more of its hazards, as its structure tends to cause issues for new users, prompting the machine to automatically change settings during an elaborate demo mix, but having settings linger on so as to confuse a user at the beginning of the learning curve. Best to avoid the Demo Song.

Do a test track and then start asking questions as needed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:45 pm 
Dude

Favourite food: Bar b q
Machine type: AW1600
Thanks for the reply Byron... the machine works fine..I have been tracking with it and sending file to my daw. I was just wondering if the libraries were worth having (drum samples etc).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:26 pm 
Marker Magician

I would not say that the samples are worth having reloaded.

I have used the pads on many occasions to "fly in" a sample that I trimmed and loaded to a pad. When loaded with a clip, tracked to the tempo BPM, the pads can used , via the Grid Recording function, to drop things into a mix at specific Measures. Very handy for repetitive items that might be useful (e.g. shakers, snare rolls, back vocal phrases, slide guitar riff etc).

The method utilized on the AW to adjust the tempo of sample which is loaded to a pad is very cumbersome and not effective IMHO. But placing a clip that is recorded to tempo on to a pad is the way to go.

The pads are stereo tracks, can be EQ'd, compressed etc. But have a limited capacity of about a minute each. Combined with scenes, they can be used to create some enhanced, but often complicated mixes. This is the category of the Demo Song. Hence the confusion it creates and the advice to avoid it. but, if you really want to know the capabilities of the machine, scenes and Pads are must-learn items on the curve, particularly scenes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 5:59 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Deepnotes wrote:
Thanks for the reply Byron... the machine works fine..I have been tracking with it and sending file to my daw. I was just wondering if the libraries were worth having (drum samples etc).

I'm the opposite. I found no need for those drum sounds. I always used my keyboard or more recently my electronic drums input into the recorder. Or if you're an acoustic drum fan, I bought a small mixer, ran mic's out and onto the drums using the stereo mixer outs into the recorder. That way you're in more control and only using up 2 inputs. I know there's a fan base for using the pads, but I wasn't all that interested.

rz-land