The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Free AW16G
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:07 am 
Dude

Favourite food: Donuts
Machine type: AW16G
I am giving up on this device. It will do everything but record, which is elemental to its use to me. Before sending it to the recycle bin, I thought I would offer it to someone who might be able to salvage parts from it to restore another similar unit. It is cosmetically excellent, but functionally deficient. You pay shipping only. Let me know if you want her.

CWK

Post subject: Re: Free AW16G
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:14 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Hi CWK,

I would be interested but what I would really like for you is to get it functional. We've had so many visitors here that were happy with their G, so you should be able to be happy with it too.

You say it is functionally deficient, do you mean "broken" or do you mean "I can't get this to work"?

In case of the latter, I'm sure that with some help from the forum, you will get some recording done.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:14 am 
Dude

Thank you. I actually came to this forum last August and received excellent guidance and advice. After trying all the suggestions the unit is still unable to record. I’ve since transitioned to a Presonus interface and StudioOne DAW. Let me know if you want the unit and I’ll figure out the cost of shipping.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:21 pm 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
Hi CWK. I'm interested to know what the unit does or does not do. Sometimes there are really silly reason for the device not doing what you expect. It can be as silly as moving the faders all the way up and down or arming a track for record and i even seen a case in which the user did not reallize you have to push record and play at the same time for the device to start recording. There is no shame in that and there are no dumb questions. depending on your timezone we could even do a skype video call or facetime so we can see what is happening.

I think you should start by checking if you can see incoming signals by going to the view page and pressing the input on which you have connected your gear. It may take some patience but usually we get the device going. Good luck.

Dirk

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:47 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Hiya CWK

Take Dirk's advice. Please try to get the unit working with his help first. I don't want to have it if you haven't tried first :)

If Dirk and Byron are out of options, then is the time to send the unit to Holland. Not sooner.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:16 am 
Dude

I'm sure I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, so I wouldn't be surprised if I am missing something. Had I never been able to record with the device at all it would be fair to assume operator error. But I successfully recorded for several years with the device before running into this problem. Nevertheless, I set up the device this evening with a microphone and headphones, just to verify that I wasn't missing something obvious. The result - still no recording. Here's what I did to test the unit, and a description of the results:

1. Tried recording directly to a sound clip. Press RECORD+PLAY results in PLAY. When I press the RECORD button it lights up. RECORD light goes out when the button is no longer depressed, and the PLAY buttom remains illuminated. No movement of the meters when I tap the microphone. No recorded sounds during playback.

2. Tried recording a track, linking input 1 to track 1. Press RECORD+PLAY results in PLAY. Same button behavior as when attempting the CLIP recording. The time measurement advances for as long as the PLAY button remains active. No movement of the meters when I tap the microphone. Time measurement stops when I press STOP, and returns to zero when RTZ is pressed. No recorded sounds during playback.

Last time I was on the forum someone suggested I try the autopunch to see if it could be tricked into recording at the punch point. I didn't set that up tonight, but it didn't work last time, and I don't see any indication that it will work tonight.

I have previously taken the unit apart just to make sure there aren't any obvious discoloration or physical discrepancies in the boards. I did not see anything that would indicate a physical problem. The only issue of which I am aware is the previous owner removed the foot switch jack from the board. Last time I had the unit apart I clipped off the stubs, thinking there may be some ambient polarity causing the unit to think there is an open switch. Doing that didn't change anything, but there may be other things that can be done to remediate the amputation of the switch prongs. Open to suggestions for fixing that.

So that's the story. If anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears.

Thanks, all, for your patience and counsel. I look forward to hearing from you.

CWK

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:08 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
I am not an electronics guy, but I have used the foot pedal a few times. It seems to me that the footswitch works with a double tap, in some instances, If i recall correctly. I will have to look at the manual. But perhaps the machine (software? hardware?) is tricked into "waiting" for a tap. ??? I'll look at the manual and get back.

stand by to standby

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:25 am 
Marker Magician

After a review of the 2400 manual I found no mention of the need to double tap in the manual's Auto punch-in description. However, The FS was noted (recommended in a hint) as useful for manual punch in. I do recall using it with the auto Punch though , so I guess it means a bench test! My old 1600 is getting some work with these bench tests. I was just yesterday exploring Pad operating properties for another thread.

I will look in the 1600 manual just to be sure too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:49 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Seems to me I recall where plugging the foot pedal into the wrong thing caused the unit not to record. So, if there's open wires, perhaps . . . . ?

rz-land

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:05 am 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
Just a silly thought but factory reset may also help if you no longer need anything that's still on the drive. I believe Robbie has formatted his drive a couple of times in the past. If i'm remembering right you have to reinstall the os after that.

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:54 am 
Dude

Nothing silly about that idea. I did most of the administrative actions I could think of - updated the firmware, reset to factory settings, formatted the hard drive. It's a clean system that stubbornly refuses to record.

Thanks for all the good ideas.

CWK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:34 pm 
The Reverend

Favourite food: cheddar-lol
Have you thought of using the AW as a control surface for Studio One? I'm thinking of trying that out soon so my lonely G doesn't waste away in the closet...

Salud!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:59 pm 
Ranch Hand

Machine type: AW4416
bokchoy wrote:
Have you thought of using the AW as a control surface for Studio One? I'm thinking of trying that out soon so my lonely G doesn't waste away in the closet...

Salud!

Definitely the way to go.

T.

https://tmacmusic12.wixsite.com/tmac

http://www.soundcloud.com/t-mac-12

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmCjAzN ... ture=watch

https://www.reverbnation.com/tmac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:09 pm 
Dude

Might be a silly question, but how does the AW16G talk to the DAW?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:42 pm 
The Reverend

Favourite food: cheddar-lol
cwkelly3 wrote:

Through midi... Set up can be a pain for dolts like me, but T.Mac (see above) seems to know the procedure within the Utiity menu on the G in order to get it working... AFAIK, it works for fader and transport controls only... With assistance from T.Mac, which I will be eternally grateful, I hope to get it up and running this week... check out his websites--- he's quite accomplished!!

Salud!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:38 pm 
Ranch Hand

Machine type: AW4416
cwkelly3 wrote:

What DAW are you trying to connect to?

T.

https://tmacmusic12.wixsite.com/tmac

http://www.soundcloud.com/t-mac-12

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmCjAzN ... ture=watch

https://www.reverbnation.com/tmac