The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:12 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Yamaha 02R
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:58 pm 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
Machine type: AW16G
It’s been a long while since i posted here but early this week i saved this baby from the scrapheap.

Allthough it still works the motorized faders are jittery and jump to unwanted positions. Let’s see what we can do about that.

Attachment:
1A89D077-8E55-4161-9A01-5AEAAA4A7AD6.jpeg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

Post subject: Re: Yamaha 02R
PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:31 pm 

Wow, i forgot i had to resize the pictures. I may have to repost this.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:46 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
good scoop!! Still a very useful piece of gear.

Good to see you dirk!!

You should check out the thread - Next Month - posted by Robbie as the forum reaches its twentieth anniversary.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=21568

I recalled in that thread the protracted conversation about producing recordings on vinyl that happened here a few years ago. You may some memory of it ????

Are you still recording some songs of your own? Have you continued working with the choirs you were recording at one time??

Belgium was lucky to beat Canada a few days ago at the World Cup. Your side was outplayed for a good part of the match, although the single goal that they scored, and which proved to hold as the winner, was a genuine piece of good work!! The Belgian goal-tender kept your team in the match, when the Canadians managed to get the ball on to the net. However, too many of the shot attempts by the Canadians that went wide or high though, after applying impressive pressure in the move down the pitch. Can't score if you don't hit the net!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 11:45 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
It's a beauty, Dirk. I'm glad to see it fell into your hands, one of the best places I can think of for it to end up.

Keep us posted on your progression!

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:35 pm 

Byron wrote:
good scoop!! Still a very useful piece of gear.

Good to see you dirk!!

Hi Byron. Nice of you to jump on this thanks. How are you doing?
Wow, lots of questions. Yeah i have seen next month comming.
Maybe we should do something special for the forum.

I'm still in a Choir, although it's not the same. Choir recordings came to a halt with corona.
I still write songs but i can't spend enough time with that, partially because i'm producing
music video's which is lot of fun. Specifically because i help people record and film and i can bring
them to places where they have never been. I do Green screen work. I'm hoping to do more of that.
It's just a bit complex (time consuming) as usually i am playing guitar, filming, singing, setup the lighting and doing al the post production stuf, mixing the recording and video editing and some visual trickery. But the end result i well worth it.

I see you have posted a lot of songs. Will listen later on.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:53 pm 

Robbie wrote:
Keep us posted on your progression!

Well, about that. I have been cleaning thoroughly. Some of the glue that remained because of the tape that had been put on the surface to note which mic went were was totally petrified and i could not find anything strong enough to resolve the glue without damaging the paint. So i ended up removing it physically (with the nail of my thump) and then degreased the surface and removed the nicotine. (machine was operated by a heavy smoker). Amazing how much dirt can pile up on such a thing. It was clearly not cared for.

But, she's cleaned up (see foto) and most important, fully functional.
Attachment:
O2R cleaned.JPG

Byron mentioned that it is still a usefull piece of kit and maybe this is why.
The A/D convertors on this thing are something else. I risk getting a bit technical but nowadays it's not easy to find A/D convertors with 64 times oversampling. I have one interface that claims a sampling rate of 192 KHz while the Yamaha samples at 48KHz, but i bet these yamaha convertors can get a better more detailed, cleane, warmer sound with no artefacts whatsoever. I can hear it in the headphone out. I will need to find an Adat to usb convertor before i'll be able to make some samples for you. But i'll get to that.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:14 pm 

I just listened to 'Georgia on my mind' that was posted by Byron earlier, but i listened through the 02R. There is something about that machine, even if i put the analog sound produced by my pc through this machine it just sounds clearer and warmer, less high peaks.

Don't get me wrong, my presonus sounds amazing but the 02R just adds or removes or balances a little something. I can't wait to hear the direct digital source through this and I'm very much anticipating recording some songs through this.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:45 pm 

And this is with the meterbridge re-installed. I still have to make a few changes in my studio to accomodate for this machine so the meter bridge is moved somewhat to the left for now.
Next problem is finding an Adat to USB or in other words a USB interface that has an adat in. With that i can get the digital signal out of the 02R into the PC for mixing and mastering. The AW16G Adat in cannot be used as it only supports two channels and was made to accomodate a stereo signal. The Adats on the 02R have eight channels in and out each. There two present in the machine but there is room for four, so technically one 02R can handle 56 channels simultaneously. To think that the place where i got this had three of these daisy chained to eachother. They have been build with linking in mind and by default can be linked up to four systems. If you have more you to need start setting delays. Can you imagine a Studio that has 224 input channels?

Attachment:
02R Lights S.JPG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 11:44 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Looks great Dirk! You did a thourough job in cleaning, it's like the photo came right from the folder!

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating