The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:36 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 9:21 am 
Sodbuster

Favourite food: Curried Watermelon
Machine type: AW1600
Greetings
I want to record a live performance, I will be linking a 1600 and a slave 16G by Midi. Hopefully I will be backing up and deleting all the stuff on both units.
My question is; any one know approximately how long the recording can be done. Ill be using all 8 tracks on both units, most tracks will done dry, I may be using the inboard compression for the base & percussion (4 of the 16)

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 12:21 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Hi Graham,

The G has a 6.5 GB song limit, so, even if you start with an empty HD (having 20 GB of room), the song is restricted to 6.5 GB.

Recording on the G will take around 5.3 MB per channel per minute, so when you record using all 8 channels it'll take around 43 MB per minute.

6.5 GB : 43 MB = around 150 minutes = 2½ hours.

A bit of warning though. It's always a good idea not to push it to the limit. I've worked with 6.2 and 6.3 GB songs and I ran into problems when I wanted to edit or copy.

My advice would be (assuming it's a multi-hour performance) to pre-define a number of songs on your machine (so they already exist before the actual recording takes place) and switch from one to the next after every hour or so, when you have the opportunity. The song data will remain "handlable" (is this proper english), even when you will be editing. The scenes organisation on the G supports this type of work flow as they will remain active the way they are, even when you switch songs.

The 1600 has no song limit other than the 40 GB disc size.

I hope this will help a bit.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 2:32 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Robbie wrote:
The scenes organisation on the G supports this type of work flow as they will remain active the way they are, even when you switch songs.

The 1600 has no song limit other than the 40 GB disc size.

I hope this will help a bit.

There are scenes and there are "current settings". A scene is a "snapshot" of a the total bank of setting, preserved when the operator creates the scene.

As Robbie indicates, the settings do not change when you close a song (project) and create or open another. So, when you do as Robbie suggests and switch to a new song, what you had on deck in the way of setting, will remain in place. Very convenient. but if you have any need to return to a base line,after tweaking a bit during the first set, for example, it is best that your "base line" settings be preserved in a scene. A scene can be quickly recalled, to re-establish predetermined setting. So when you are satisfied that the stage is set as you want, create a scene, using the Scenes button on your G.

Further notes. --- A scene does not have the capacity to re-establish input >>> track connection, to enable recording. So each time you switch songs, leave time to re-arm the tracks for recording.

Further --- when you are using two machines --- If you are using the two machines to send the signal to the Front of House, the slave signal will have to enter the master deck, in order to be sent to the mix, So, that signal will occupy one or two inputs on the master (mono or stereo). The reduces the available track count for inputs, by one or two.

I have done as you plan, with good results.
good luck.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:30 am 
Sodbuster

"Wow" fantastic information from you both.
rely appreciate your effort in replying.

Once I've cleared the decks on both units ill start doing some testing & practicing before
our gig.

Still love this site after all these years

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 3:35 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
I never recommend pushing the machine much past 90% of what it can do. I like to leave 10% for the "what if's". If you're going to be behind the controls, consider pausing the "tape" in between a group of songs to give you more space. Since you'll be editing anyway, you can easily put together though fades, seamless transitions. Sounds like a fun time!

rz-land

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:10 pm 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: overmuramovingcake
Hi,
there's other possible problem when syncing 2 machines for long few hours session.
If you link via MIDI only - it is simple and work - but 2 audio clocks will be out of sync. Usually not noticable on short sessions (few ms probably), but for longer sessions it could mean seconds (= lots of post production work to sync by hand).

So split your songs/sessions like others mentioned, or use also audio sync (you'd need coax to optical SPDIF converter and some more tweaking). Search sync topics on this forum.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 12:01 am 
Sodbuster

Thanks for the tip on the time lag, good tip.
It's will be arduous enough without trying to re syncing the tracks post the gig.
Thanks again.