The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:44 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:29 am 
Boot Polisher

Hey everybody,
My aw16g is on it's very last legs..I'd like to upgrade to something better but have a lot of data discs with unfinished songs..I really don't want to buy a used "g" on e-bay so...Is there another more current machine out
there that will transfer my data easily????

Thanks
Jim

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:31 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Hi Jim,

Before you sell the G or get rid of it otherwise, do yourself a favour and convert all songs to separate wavs. Load a song from CD in the G, and export the tracks to wav. If you have a G backup file, it'll be worthless without the G.

What do you mean with "on its last legs"... your G starts malfunctioning? What is wrong with it?

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:26 pm 
Boot Polisher

I had been limping along for quite awhile with a broken stop&rewind button but last night I had a freak accident
with it...As I was trying to catch to my mic stand as it was falling over I bumped my elbow into the display screen and about 2/3's of it looks like it's scorched!I'll bet you've never heard that one before....So even though the machine still actually works,I can't tell where I'm at on my screens,which make's it nearly impossible to convert any of my data??I think the only chance might be to lift the top and see if the screen has a cover that maybe I can clean or remove so I can See what I'm doing..Robbie,if you can bail me out of this you're a genius!!!!
Thanks ..this site is the main reason I'd hate to leave Yamaha!!

I have Sonar Producer7 on my computer but haven't been in any hurry to jump to computer recording..
could my data somehow be converted on my computer to wav format

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:39 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Heya Jim,

There is a different option. Take one backup and put the file in the file exchange section. I can pull it down and chop it into wavs on my G.

If the file is too big (which they probably are as the upload limit is 150 MB per file and that is a server setting so I can't change it), I could make and ftp upload for you so you could go as far as 700 MB. We could do that disc by disc.

If you could do me a favour, hoping you have access to a digital camera, can you make a few pics of your display while the machine is on? I'd like to have an idea of what it looks like.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:29 am 
Boot Polisher

I will take a picture of my screen when i get home from work tonight.you're not gonna like what you see.Only the bottom left corner of the screen is visable 1/8th at best..

I am assuming by your post that my back-up cd's have to be converted to wavs through a "g"
and can't be done thru Switch or another similar program??

Robbie that sounds like it would be a lot of work for you..
If I had them converted to wavs then could I use them in sonar or on any other stand alone recorder?

One more question if I was able to pick up another "g" could I link them to extract the current data by using the old "g" as a slave and entering all commands from the new(Master) machine?

Most of my valuable data are on the discs and not the machine anyways..

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:55 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Holley wrote:
I am assuming by your post that my back-up cd's have to be converted to wavs through a "g"
and can't be done thru Switch or another similar program??

The G has its own file storage format. The G is the only thing that can read the backup files. There is a converter named Gee Audio, but that's a third party product and not validated by Yamaha.
Holley wrote:
Robbie that sounds like it would be a lot of work for you..
If I had them converted to wavs then could I use them in sonar or on any other stand alone recorder?

I spend a lot of time in my studio (mostly working for school) so it's no problem. I wouldn't mind converting a project every week or so. I assume you won't be needing them all in the same time.
Wav is a very standard format. Any audio tool will accept them.
Holley wrote:
One more question if I was able to pick up another "g" could I link them to extract the current data by using the old "g" as a slave and entering all commands from the new(Master) machine?

If you could get another G I'd probably swap HD's. Your "new" G would, project wise, behave as your "old" G.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:04 am 
No More Coasters!

Machine type: AW1600
I have a working version of Gee Audio. You can copy your G-backups to your PC, and then open them with Gee Audio which will then extract all the raw wave files....very quickly.

Problem is, the guy who wrote the Gee Audio program stopped supporting it I think. But, I did find a version for windows that you can download here:

http://www.pcmusic.org/software/view.ph ... -Gee-Audio

I'm not sure if it's a demo version that will run for 30 days for example, or if you can still buy a license...but I'd give it a try if I were you, because it would make extracting the wav files from all your G-backups a lot easier.

The mac version of Gee Audio can be downloaded from the original site at sillymonkeysoftware, so if you have a buddy with a mac...you could always extract your wavs that way.

here's where you get the mac version: http://www.sillymonkeysoftware.com/gee_audio/

Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:41 pm 
Boot Polisher

Thanks Utah,
I downloaded it and tried it out today...
All single song discs worked fine.
It won't convert any of my back-up discs that have more than 1 song on them..
It just freezes,then when I go to end task it says it's running,instead of Not Responding..
I tried both AIFF and wav's and neither worked..
Is thwere anything else I can try..Unfortunately most of my discs are multiples..

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:46 pm 
Boot Polisher

Hey Robbie,
I took that picture of my display today,I was going to send it along with a personal message but didn't see an option for an attachment there..There must be another way...I didn't have a lot of time today to look for it???

I'm in the process of trying to buy another "g" on Ebay..
I've never bought anything there, So I don't know the bidding game yet..
I'll let you know if I have any luck..
It's just nice to know you've got my back!

Thanks
Jim

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:58 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Jim, check your pm for file transfer data.

For the pics, I think more people are interested. You can put them in the file exchange section. <-- click

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 2:10 am 
No More Coasters!

Holley wrote:
Thanks Utah,
I downloaded it and tried it out today...
All single song discs worked fine.
It won't convert any of my back-up discs that have more than 1 song on them..
It just freezes,then when I go to end task it says it's running,instead of Not Responding..
I tried both AIFF and wav's and neither worked..
Is thwere anything else I can try..Unfortunately most of my discs are multiples..

Jim

I think I had some problems with multiple disc backups as well, but it was worth a shot.

Hopefully, you can find yourself a good deal on a used G!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:35 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
G'day. You should have no problem getting a used G or better yet, the 1600. That would be the better way to go because of the usb. Once you get the new unit, then you can do a 2816 back up on the old G if you can and then reload them onto the new unit. Good luck.

rz-land

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:38 pm 
No More Coasters!

RZ wrote:
G'day. You should have no problem getting a used G or better yet, the 1600. That would be the better way to go because of the usb. Once you get the new unit, then you can do a 2816 back up on the old G if you can and then reload them onto the new unit. Good luck.

The problem is the data discs are not in 2816 format, and his display is shot on his current G, which makes it unusable.

The other issue with 2816 format, is that it only loads the tracks info into the 1600....but no scene info. So, while it gives you a decent starting point, you do have to re-mix the the songs. Depending on the project that can be fairly easy, or a big job.

That said.....if you're willing to go through the necessary steps to migrate from a G to a 1600, the USB feature is a dandy one to have. I'm in the process of going through the migration ( although I've kept my G to use alongside my 1600 ), and I think it's worth it.

Funny thing RZ, a lot of 2400 owners suggested that I skip the 1600 and go for a 2400. 2400's never come up for sale in my neck of the woods, and I ended up buying a 1600 not that long ago. I look yesterday, and damn if there aren't two 2400's that have come up for sale in Canada. One that was halfway across Canada from me in Edmonton ( for $1000 ), and one in my City (Ottawa) for $1500. I paid less than $500 Cnd for the 1600 that was in very good shape, so $1500 was a stretch for me....but, I might have considered the one for $1000.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:24 pm 
Marker Magician

I am very glad to have purchased a 2400. I paid a little more than 1500 (floor demo), but the orig price on the box was 2800. I have bought both cards MY8 and Wavs card. there is only one slot, but they can / are changed out. this machine will be all I need for some time to come. The Usb allows you to use computer when necessary and to back up. I'd look for another if this was to be lost or to crap out.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:00 pm 
Mr. Blues

Favourite food: Sauerkraut ;-)
Same like Byron´s thoughts about my AW2400. really love this machine and all the things I can do with it. For me perfect as a recording machine and live mixer.

Don´t need a Computer (except for backups), can do everything I wish to do with this machine and love to watch the dancing faders. Thinking about buying a spare machine, if I can get one for a decent price.

Andreas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:45 am 
Boot Polisher

Makes me kind of wish I would have upgraded to the 1600.I Bought another "g" on Ebay yesterday for $167...That sounded like a pretty good deal to me...that is as long as it's in good working order!!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:33 am 
No More Coasters!

Holley wrote:
Makes me kind of wish I would have upgraded to the 1600.I Bought another "g" on Ebay yesterday for $167...That sounded like a pretty good deal to me...that is as long as it's in good working order!!!!!

I'd say that was a very good deal, and a smart move I think.....given your situation.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:02 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Great deal!

Swap HD's. :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:07 pm 
Marker Magician

Record on !!!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:53 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
For $167 you can't pass up the deal. Hope it's a good unit that's been well maintained. The AW16G is an awesome recorder.

As for the broken screen on the old one granted u can't see it, but using the manual as a guide or punching the same buttons on both machines when you get the new one(using it as a guide), you can do a regular backup on the old one to cd and move everything over.

As for the 2400, $1000 is a great price, but i certainly understand budgetary restraints. I just got really lucky on my 2400 plus i sold my G to help the fund. the 1600 is an great machine, will serve it's purpose for sure.

rz-land