The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:44 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: MY8-AD24 dipswitches
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:23 pm 
Send me CDR's !!

Favourite food: Beer
Machine type: AW2400
Hi everybody,

I've just bought a used AW2400 and got a hold of a MY8-AD24 card so I can now record 16 tracks simultaneously. Even though I use microphones only, I did prefer the MY8-AD with 8x jack inputs over the MY4-AD with 4x XLR microphone inputs. While my AW16g records direct microphone signals on (jack) inputs 2 - 8 perfectly, I assumed with the MY8-AD it will work as well.

The default gain setting (dipswitches) is +24 dBu. Is this the signal that is required or is it the amount of gain it will add? Switching to +4 dBv (notice the "v" instead of "u") seems give more gain so I'm assuming it's the first answer. So, the questions I have:
  • The +4 dBV setting offers more gain on the input Y/N?
  • Would +4 dBV be sufficient for a (dynamic) drum microphones?
  • Input 1-8 have a physical gain knob, how can I set "preamp gain" for inputs on the MY8-AD24

If you check the link below, you'll see that the gain setting is either +24dBu OR +4dBV. Why it that?
+24dBu is more (a hotter signal) than +4 dBV? I know about dB's as a relative unit of measure for gain and power but don't understand the dBu / dBV? What's the need for this?

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/products/ ... index.html

Post subject: Re: MY8-AD24 dipswitches
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:23 pm 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: overmuramovingcake
Hi PeeVee,
I don't have 2400 or cards, but can answer few things. I'm sure someone else will respond about 2400.

I think all this are line level inputs. U don't have any rotary knobs to set preamp gain which is needed when U connect mics.
However, it won't hurt if U try it, but even with enough power, U won't be able to set perfect levels. Can try with changing mic distance positioning.
Someone else will correct me if I missed 2400 additional knobs or perhaps software preamp gain settings? :?:

Regarding dbu and dbv: That's just theory. The origin of the index of dBu comes from "u = unloaded" and of dBV is from "V = 1 volt".
Calculations: +4dbv=1.6V (RMS) and +24dbu=12V (RMS). They are maximum, not nominal levels.
I would just say this card can accept very hot pro level signals, lots of headroom.

Last edited by dejan on Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:40 pm 
Mr. Blues

Favourite food: Sauerkraut ;-)
Hi,

dejan is right about the thought, the inputs are line level. All he wrote is correct.

Andreas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:49 pm 
Tinhorn

Tnx for confirmation, Andreas :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:28 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Yes I think Dejan is right, too.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:27 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
Yup.......line level inputs.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:00 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
See?

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:24 pm 
Send me CDR's !!

Thanks for the replies everybody. I know the inputs are "line inputs". That doesn't mean they don't work when I plug in a microphone of course. I do except the fact that they don't have fantastic preamps and the gain might not be at 0 dB. We play 50's style jumpblues so we aren't looking for digital perfection OK? I like 16 track digital recording because it's convenient / practical just like digital reverb is in comparison to plate reverb chambers ;)

In addition to connecting microphone to the XLR inputs 1 & 2 of my AW16g, I have always connected mikes to balanced jack inputs 2 - 8 which are (kinda) line inputs as well I think and that worked fine. Does anyone know what the max. input level (not nominal I've just learned ;)) for these inputs 2-6 is on the AW16g? I know that worked fine in the past with microphones.

I'm just gonna plug in microphones anyway; before EQ of the inputs channel there's an soft attenuator button that can also be used to add 12 dB of gain which seems to add what I need. While I'm going to use microphone signals on these inputs, the +4 dBV setting (which is the max. allowed signal) is the better choice than the +24 dBu, correct? The +24 dBu setting is to be used when signal comes from pretty hot devices (e.g. keyboards etc.?)

Last edited by PeeVee on Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm 
Tinhorn

Yes, +4dbv should work better for weak signals.
The problem with mics and this inputs is not max level, but minimum level. U won't know until u try it. If U re satisfied with results, don't bother with numbers, just play.. :wink:

On the other hand, I still think U can't compare this to 16G jack inputs with pots to change levels from line to mic level (It's about 50db preamp gain difference between them).
Only difference between G's xlr and jack inputs is phantom power, I guess. All numbers are equal - good for dynamic mics.
Max input level is +18dB there- I have no dbV or dbu data.

BTW-U don't have any old mixer lying around for mics to go-through?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:33 pm 
Send me CDR's !!

dejan wrote:
Yes, +4dbv should work better for weak signals.

Okay, that's what I'm using now. I did some recordings last night and plugged in a balanced line output from an Ampeg BA500 bass amp. I know from practice that this is a very weak signal that compares to a microphone level and recording was fine. Also directly plugged in a Telecaster; that worked fine as well. The EQ section on the input has a attenuator knob that can also boost +12 dB and that seems to be enough for a decent recording.

Hmmm... When I check the spec sheet of a 02R96VCM digital mixer the 2-track input has a max. of +4 dBV. The related sensitivity and nominal signal is set at -10 dB. As said, it seems I can add another +12dB. What is the signal strength of a typical dynamic microphone?

dejan wrote:
BTW-U don't have any old mixer lying around for mics to go-through?

I have and because I forgot my XLR -> balanced jack multicable I took some AUX signals from the mixer. I guess I could "misuse" the insert jacks to "tap" a signal from a mixer strip. For recording in our rehearsel room that's OK, but one of the reasons I do like the AW16g and AW2400 is that everything I need is right there in that one box but you're right... I do have a Mackie mixer that I can use in case results are not OK.

Rgrds, PV