The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Mon May 25, 2020 3:21 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 8:26 pm 
Dude

A strange circumstance which I think has happened before, I was working on a song and did a final stereo mix and then transported the song to a PC. Did file save etc, I think I probably shut down the machine as well. A short while after ( and you can see from my other post, part 1 of 2) that where previously I had problems with track 2 I was the confronted with track 1 playing music which just wasn’t meant to be there, i.e it was not there when I did the stereo mix. I can only assume that this was some previously recorded material in the song that may have been dubbed/ recorded over but then somehow it has managed to return. I hope I have explained this ok, it seems to be some sort of electrical or data crossfeed issue but I am no expert. Just as a matter of interest it wasn’t for the whole track, later on the original data came back again.

Incidentally I don’t have any outboard effects plugged in to the machine .

Anyone else had this problem, solution ?

Sorry, I ended up deleting the track, as an afterthought maybe I should have left it for investigation

Y

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 2:02 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
There was a thread on this forum recently that discussed disappearing tracks. So your situation is not unique. I have experienced such as well, but not often. but this is one of the few gremlins experienced over the years. It seams to be related to punch ins and overdubs. As explained in your last thread, song folders contain all wavs ( complete takes and pieces related to edits) which are sequenced by the AW in some process unknown to me, as wavs are created with numbers as file names and no date or time stamp. But the AW knows (usually) how to keep it all straight. When material appears that had previously been over-copied, the machine has missed a cue to bring up what is the "top-layer". On a replay it possibly gets it right -- hence "a gremlin" situation!!

My advice is, while not avoiding editing, be careful to give the machine adequate time to respond to your button pushing. Also, if you are going to edit, consider making a copy of your original track on to another virtual and edit that, just in case something goes wrong.

Search the words Disappearing Track with the search on this forum and you will get some reading on the subject, but no official determination or solution. Fortunately this situation seems a rare occurrence, but it surely is disconcerting.

I suspect that Optimizing the song (project) every so often may help keep this situation in check. ??

Does your Channel 2 behave similarly on every project, (ie not work as it should), or just on the project in which it first appeared?

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 9:56 am 
Dude

Hi Byron and thanks again for such a comprehensive response, the problem has only occurred on one track in one song, from my recollection I recorded a guide track onto track one and then eventually recorded over the top of it as I didn’t need the guide anymore, then for some reason it came back, must be a gremlin, but yes I definitely believe in continual optimisation of tracks

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 5:29 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
So Track Two slider works as it should, reliably on other projects?? If so I would scratch my head and move on, or, make a new song and transfer the track in question to track two of the new song and see if the problem reappears.

Does not seem as if you did heavy editing of the original guide track , but you did copy over it So Robbie's theory of overlapping in/out points might still be the cause ???

Worth doing the process though, not just assuming it is the hardware. as i said, these machines are quite durable it seems.