The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:44 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Forum rules

If you want to shout, to vent or to scream, Bart's Zutebox is the place to be. Posts will be automatically deleted after 10 days.

Post subject: Moving
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:14 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
Five months ago, we saw an "open house" for sale in an area of town we liked. When we walked inside, we pretty much knew this house felt like home. But, it was over priced. So, we kept watch and as the months rolled by, we took a look every few days. They never dropped their price and the house just sat. Memorial Day weekend (I think the end of May on a Monday), we put our house on the open market through a realtor friend of ours. It sold in 2 weeks.

We set an appointment to view this same house again, this time with our realtor. We knew it was right. We made a realistic offer. They countered. We countered. They countered. We accepted. We had to go through inspections. We got through both of them. Then our house had to appraise right. It did. Now we are packing . . . and packing . . . and packing.

To date, we have made 6 or 7 runs to Goodwill and donated tons of stuff that has sat around the 14 years in this house and the 9 years in the house before. We have thrown out stuff and thrown out stuff. We had Habitat for Humanity come out and we gave them chairs, and furniture, and shelves and all kinds of things we have not used in ages. We donated more than 100 books to the local library. We have another group coming by next week to take even more of our non used items. I still have to break down my studio and personally move it and my instruments by myself. I'll not let some mover touch my "stuff". The thought of cables and such, even though labeled, is going to be an undertaking.

All this for a house we happened to go see 5 months ago. We move the end of this month.

rz-land

Post subject: Re: Moving
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:38 pm 
Greenhorn

Favourite food: pizza
Machine type: AW4416
hi rz,

we have experienced the same ... i had to move my whole studio (24 years at the same spot) to a second floor loft (lots of stairmaster excersize during the load in ) ... there is new power, lighting, carpeting, decorations, heat & air conditioning ... the bandmates and i have had our first jam session last week and it went well but, of course, there is the daunting task of resetting the recording consoles, mics levels, line checks and patching etc ... it is all very exciting !

purging away the years of furniture, gizmos and other treasured collectables is a refreshing feeling ... i even ran accross my first concert ticket stub (reo speedwagon/uriah heep from 1975) ... keep at it and before you know it, everything will be up and running so you can continue on your path of musical enjoyment ...

good luck with your new home

mark

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:05 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Congrats Ron! A new place is a fresh start. As Mark says, throwing out old or unused stuff refreshes the mind.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:06 am 

Thanks gents. It's pretty stressful, but I stop and look at a picture of the new house and realize it's all worth it. Less than 2 weeks to go.

rz-land

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:41 pm 
Marker Magician

Shoulder to the wheel!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:45 pm 
Greenhorn

Favourite food: Pizza
Moving is a MASSIVE undertaking. Sounds like it's going to worth it! Best of luck in your new home.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:32 pm 

Thanks. Today we emptied one attic. It's clean! I brought down my AW2400 box (still got it) as well as monitor boxes and both my mixer boxes. Got part of the studio broken down and more to do today. We just donated 2 chairs, an entertainment center, lamps, tables and all sorts of stuff. It's getting more and more empty.

rz-land

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:19 pm 

We moved over the weekend. Moving is not for the old and ancient!

rz-land

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:24 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Ron, please pm me your new address, so I can send you a card. Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:39 am 
Marker Magician

RZ wrote:
We moved over the weekend. Moving is not for the old and ancient!

I can see such a day in my future and I will be even older and more ancient then :cry:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:52 pm 

The saga continues. Spent the first weekend getting the office upstairs ready for Monday (July 31st). Monday morning bright and early, I hop out of bed and take Bailey (our yorkie) out back to make his morning potty. Being in a foreign space, I missed a step and fell sideways on a bench. My back hit the side of the bench and my right arm hit the side of the step. When I went inside, my arm was 3 times it's normal size and I could barely breathe. By 6:30am I was in the Emergency Room at the local hospital. Xrays were taken and they claimed nothing was broken. That entire week, my back muscles hurt so, that I had to sleep in a chair. FF to yesterday and I decided to call my doctor. Their xrays showed broken ribs! One was displaced. Needless to say, I have a good 6 weeks of healing to do. The music room is a huge mess and will stay that way for at least another week or so until I feel better.

Oh and the next day after I fell, Natalie fell down the inside stairs. She sprained her ankle and is in a boot.

Btw, we are enjoying the new home. :shock:

rz-land

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:12 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

So you've used up your bad luck for at least the next two decades.

Get well soon Ron and Natalie!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:28 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

I saw your house on a real estate website. What a beautiful house. Amazing! You'll be very happy there.

If such a house would be on the market here in our neighbourhood it would cost about 8 times the price listed on that website. I'm living in the wrong country!!! :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:44 pm 

Robbie wrote:
I saw your house on a real estate website. What a beautiful house. Amazing! You'll be very happy there.

If such a house would be on the market here in our neighbourhood it would cost about 8 times the price listed on that website. I'm living in the wrong country!!! :roll:

Thanks Robbie. And the good news is, we didn't pay the listed price. I think we got a fair deal, not necessarily a fantastic bargain. But it's got the room we need to live and work. All behind gates with security guards. Always best to be safe as can be these days. As great as Memphis is, it's also a crime ridden city. Best to be careful.

rz-land

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:22 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

I like the idea of a gated community but there are not many dutchmen familiar with the concept. We probably have a few in Wassenaar or The Hague (most expensive cities to live in) and that's it. I'd help turning our block into a gated community in an instant.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:04 pm 

Robbie wrote:
I like the idea of a gated community.

Unfortunately, in today's time, here in the States, more security is better. Our old home was in a gated community, but it wasn't completely secure. Anyone could simply walk around the corner and right into our neighborhood. It wasn't totally fenced around the perimeter. While there was a guard house up front with cameras, there wasn't a guard and the cameras were dummies. That's not the reason we moved. But this new community, even though it's 15 minutes from our old home, has live security around the clock. Guards at both entrances, security within the gates to observe the neighborhood, and cameras. Maybe a little overboard, but I don't think so. And hey, nothing is guaranteed. Someone that wanted in could probably get in. It is what it is.

But we're happy to be here.

rz-land

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:02 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

I remember when you first looked at that house. Glad to hear things worked out in the end and you managed to make the move. I hope you're recovering well from the tumble you took.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:38 pm 

It's been just over 5 weeks since we made the move. We are both closer to healing although I think it's going to take another 3 or 4 weeks. But, we have begun to throw a few pix on the walls which helps make it feel like home. Still need to paint, but that's down the road. One of the things we have been doing is changing all the old light bulbs over to LED's. I figure that should save us a lot of money in the long run. Just in the kitchen/den area alone, we went from about 800 watts, down to roughly 150 watts. My music room is well underway. I have the desk put in place and the AW2400 is setup up with all inputs connected. I haven't tested everything yet to see if I'm getting signal, but I plan to this week. I have enough room for my e-drums to have space and I have a place for my keyboards and a nice section for my guitars, guitar processors and the accessories. I have several boxes of cables, which I'm sorting though and trying to wrap them up and put them in place for future use. Maybe this week, I'll get the time to try a few tracks and make sure everything is hooked up correctly.

We are loving the new house and so far the neighbors have been great. I'll post some photos soon.

Thanks for asking! Ron

rz-land

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:37 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Glad to hear things are coming along nicely, and good neighbors are to be appreciated, indeed. :)