The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:22 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: chocolate mousse cake
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:40 pm 
Mistress of Understatement

Favourite food: steak and fat chips
This is Roberts favourite cake its kind of gooey in the middle with a crunchy crust on the outside

4 eggs
225gr caster sugar (fine sugar)
2 drops of vanilla essence
150gr dark chocolate (70% cocoa solids)
125gr unsalted butter
50ml water
25gr plain flour (flour with no raising agent)
50gr ground almonds
cocoa powder or glazing sugar to dust

method

preheat oven to gas mark3 /170.c/320.f and grease a 18cm loose-bottom cake tin

whisk together the egg ,sugar and vanilla ,i would do this by a machine rather than by hand. this should take about 2 Min's until the egg are light and fluffy

meanwhile , put the chocolate ,butter and water in a bowl and heat over a saucepan of simmering water, do not still until everything has melted, then stir gently together, take off the heat

using a metal spoon ,gently but thoroughly fold the egg mixture into the chocolate. Stir in the almond and flour (i mix the dry ingredient together first). Pour in to the tin and bake for 20 Min's

When cool sprinkle with cocoa or the incing sugar

this cake will sink and crack when it comes out of the oven it is supposed to do that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:46 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Machine type: AW16G
Sounds yummy, Chef. Is that "fine" sugar between regular table sugar and confectioners (powder) sugar in grain size? Over here we can get something like that but they call it superfine, or 10X sugar, if I'm not mistaken.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:05 pm 
Review Guru

Favourite food: Vegetable Lasagne
Some of you may have a fine woman to do this alread, this is, however not exclusive to us bachelors.

5 large potatoes
1 lb groundbeef of choice
bag of chopped celery and onions
2 cans corn niblets
virgin olive oil
salt and pepper

cut each of 5 potatoes into quarters and boil for about 30 min until soft.
combine corn, celery, onions and ground beef into a large skillet with 2 tbspns of olive oil. season with salt and pepper to taste. brown meat and sautee all.

take potatoes out of pot and put into large mashing bowl. take a heavy fork and smash the shit out of the potatoes, adding about 3/4 cup milk and about 1/4 stick of butter.

in a casserolle dish, place sauteed/browned meat and onions/corn/celery evenly across the dish. ONLY USE HALF OF WHAT IS IN THE FRYING PAN.
take your mashed potatoes and spread over top .ONLY USE HALF OF POTATOES.
Put the rest of the skillet contents on top of potatoes, evenly.
Take the rest of the potatoes and spread UNEVENLY(this will give a nice rocky mountain crisp browning from the oven) over the 2nd layer of meat, etc.

bake at 400 for about 30 mins.

a delicious comfort food, no frills, no gravy..season to taste with a minimal amount of salt and a decent amount of pepper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:22 pm 

JM wrote

Quote:
Is that "fine" sugar between regular table sugar and confectioners (powder) sugar in grain size

yes i would say that is what it is , it isn't the kind of sugar you use to make frosting

i have a cookery book that called Home Cooking Favorite recipes from Resurrection Parish .Randolph ,New Jersey and some of the recipes are just plain weird to us Brits and i wont go into the ingredients w.t.h is a can of cheddar cheese soup ? and Velveeta cheese?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:48 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Cheddar cheese soup is exactly what it sounds like....soup that is essentially watered down melted cheese. It's pretty tasty - especially when flavored with bacon and the like. However, opening a can of plain cheese soup can be a bit unnerving. It is a thick yellow-orange substance that looks more like something used at an auto factory to glue interior upholstery to the floor or something. I'd bet many more cans of the stuff wind up in casseroles and whatnot than are actually served as soup.

Ah, Velveeta - for the perfect grilled cheese sandwich of the comfort variety. Velveeta is not cheese, but a "pasteurized cheese product." It comes unrefrigerated and in a box, melts quite easily and is really not much like cheese in either flavor or texture. Come to think of it, it is a bit like a solid version of above mentioned cheese soup. It is used frequently as an ingredient - a little milk and some hot sauce or salsa, pop it in the microwave and, viola, instant nacho cheese sauce. 8)

I'll bet a lot of those recipes in that cookbook of yours also contain cans of cream of mushroom soup - a staple of church lady cookbooks for decades. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:51 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

your right

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:52 pm 

is jello sweet or savoury ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:08 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Jello is a particular brand of sweetened, flavored gelatan. Sweet, for true.