The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:17 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Some advice
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:01 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Are you feeling lousy every now and then? Try a low-sugar diet. I replaced the chocolate sprinkles by a modest slice of cheese, I don't eat any kind of candy anymore, no sugar in the porridge, and only one small cookie to go with the coffee. No cola or anything like that. Small deserts, preferably yoghurt. I eat decent amounts of food, so I wouldn't want to call it a diet, but a change of lifestyle.

Why did I do that?

I had some complaints that pointed in the direction of diabetes. I'm not someone to run to the docs for any small inconvenience but I thought I'd better take this seriously. Fatigue and thirst. Given the fact that I'm passed 40 and overweight, I'm stumbling into the risk group.

So I went to the doc and told her the story. Do you pee a lot? No I don't. That's a good sign. Any diabetes in the family? Not one single family member. Also a good sign. She took some blood and tested it. No diabetes, perfect sugar level. Pfiew!

She told me my new eating habit was good. She told me that I also need to excercise. Walk or ride the bicycle for at least half an hour a few times a week. We went to both of our parents on foot today.

Given the fact that I adopted the new food style I stepped on the scale and saw that I lost about 15 pounds in about a month and a half. I also realized I feel a whole lot better. More energy, better mood. And a good thing is I think it will not be too hard to keep it this way. I'm still about 40 pounds overweight though. When I eat a cookie now, it is only one and it tastes a lot sweeter than before, actually too sweet. That means my body is getting used to less sugar, and besides that, eating a cookie or candy gets a lot less attractive.

Conclusion: suger is poison. You may put your health at risk when you get too much.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

Post subject: Some advice
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:29 am 
The General

Robbie wrote:
Are you feeling lousy every now and then? Try a low-sugar diet.

Conclusion: suger is poison. You may put your health at risk when you get too much.

There is a somewhat contoversial diet out there called sugar busters. I went on it about 10 years ago and followed every guideline, no cheating.

I lost about 25 lbs in 3 months without depriving myself of anything except foods with high sugar content or certain carbs that quickly convert to sugar (eliminated all white bread with sandwiches).

I'm right there with you brother Robbie....I'm 6' 1", 215 lbs....probably should be 185 lbs. Yep, I'd say I'm about 30 lbs overweight.

Yo Rob, what's with the Nederlands futbollers? Looking good indeed!

Gary

Post subject: Re: Some advice
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:22 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
One of my best pilot friends is a retired physician. As we were having lunch one day he commented as I was heavily salting my food. Seeing his raised eyebrows I asked "Do you think I am eating too much salt ?" His replay was that the reason I was eating the salt was because my body required it. He went on to say that people that have mineral deficiencies in their diet often crave and eat dirt. He said that high salt intake often is associated with arterial and heart disease , my thin body frame did not fit that criteria as I have normal blood pressure and no heart problems.

He said the number one edible killer of humans is sugar. Normal bodies make all the sugar we need from our diet. Any sugar ingested actually throws off the body chemistry he claimed. His example was the rise in diabetes in the last 50 years due to the increaded sugar in our diets.

In summation he said if I ate sugar like I did salt I would be a dead diabetic. :lol:

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:18 am 
Review Guru

Favourite food: Vegetable Lasagne
What would a good, everyday diet consist of that contained little sugar?
breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:49 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
I'll tell you what I eat.

joel2007 wrote:
breakfast

Porridge (some kind of oats) without suger. I used to put 20 grams of pure suger in it. Not anymore.

joel2007 wrote:
snack

No snack or some fruit.

joel2007 wrote:
lunch

Three or four sandwiches with a modest slice of cheese. A big mug of milk. Coffee.

joel2007 wrote:
snack

A cookie to go along with the coffee. ONE cookie. Like, just one.

joel2007 wrote:
dinner...

Potatoes, veggies like broccoli, cauliflour, spinach, ..., and a modest portion of meat: 2-3 oz (half a burger, or if it's chicken meat you can take some more). Desert: yoghurt of a modest portion of pudding. And coffee after that.

There is suger in this "diet" (I still prefer "lifestyle", as a diet is supposed to be temporary).

Don't eat after dinner. Cravings? Cup of tea with a rice cracker.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:55 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
The one thing that ever worked for me was Weight Watchers. I lost over 30 pounds and kept it off for years, until I started eating larger portions again. I think the secret to anything is moderation. So I've probably put back on 20 pounds and would like to really lose 10. I think I'd be very happy at that weight. So we are also eating much more proper. But I don't eat much sugar. Most things are artifically sweetened which is bad in another direction.

rz-land

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:16 pm 
Review Guru

Favourite food: Vegetable Lasagne
RZ wrote:
Most things are artifically sweetened which is bad in another direction.

Aspartame, Saccharine, Splenda, sweet n' low, equal, all that garbage, DIET drinks like diet coke, anything 'diet' is the shits.
all phoby sweetner. Cancer causing, WEIGHT PUTTING ON man made chemically poisonous food additives.
gum, mints...about the only thing you can chew is ginseng root or wafers and those go too quick and cost a fortune.

even produce is crap, unless you grow your own or find a decent farmer nearby who dosent need the money. :cry: