The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:28 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:56 pm 
Greenhorn

Favourite food: STEAK
Machine type: AW16G
Hi there
Does anyone have any tips/settings i can use to get a decent acoustic guitar sound. I go straight into the G as with 2 kids running around micing up isnt really an option! Up til now the guitar has sounded a bit flat and lifeless.
Cheers
Les

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:10 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
Hmmmm, I understand your pain. I've never used the 8 input which doubles as a guitar fx of sorts. Have you tried plugging into input 8, switching it to the guitar setting (I don't have one anymore so I'm just throwing words out there) and dialing through some of the effects. Having an outboard guitar effects unit like a Pod or such would be the way to go for me. I can plug in to the pod which in turn is plugged into the input/s of the recorder. You have many options to choose from that should help you get the sound you're after.

rz-land

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:34 pm 
Greenhorn

Favourite food: STEAK
Machine type: AW16G
Hi
I have a GT 10 which for some reason i havent used with the acoustic. Maybe i'll give that ago. I was thinking of getting a presonus or something to liven things up a bit?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:15 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
If you are trying to get an "acoustic" sound from a lined-in guitar you are waging an uphill battle. But you can get some decent tracks. Recording is more about the performance than the gear in many respects. As Ron suggests, try using the effects to derive something you like. If your instrument is sounding "distant" I would try the "Early Reflections" effect preset.

For reverb presets I'd stay away from Hall reverbs unless you want that big stadium sound. Stage and room reverbs are tighter.

You can have some fun experimenting with the modelling preset available on the 1600 and i believe on the G too. To access these press an input button and hold it down. A screen will appear that gives options for choosing models of amps/ cabinets and guitar styles (such as "rock-a-billy") Not really acoustic sounding, but you may find something that helps you out.

When you EQ your track after recording, or even on the way in i suppose, utilize the High Pass Filter in the lowest EQ slot, to control the "boominess". which allows more of the low and upper mids to work to better advantage. a stategic notch (cut) in the mids somewhere can help define an acoustic guitar too.

Let us know how your experimenting goes.