The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:36 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Strumming Wrong
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:53 pm 
Muse-ician

Machine type: Tascam
Apparently, I've been strumming wrong all these years! I'm taking (yet and still another) course on playing "Pop" guitar and the instructor changed the way I strum the guitar. Of course, up to this point, I've only gotten to 8th notes... but what he said was interesting.

You want to strike the strings rapidly. Apparently, I've been strumming too slow all these years.

He also wants you to record 2 tracks of mono guitar panning 1 hard left and the other hard right. It does make a difference.

Here's an example that merges lessons from "The Pop Guitarist Survival Guide" and "Melodic Rock Lines" on guitar

Traveler's Rest

Post subject: Re: Strumming Wrong
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:37 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
acoustic356 wrote:
Apparently, I've been strumming wrong all these years! I'm taking (yet and still another) course on playing "Pop" guitar and the instructor changed the way I strum the guitar. Of course, up to this point, I've only gotten to 8th notes... but what he said was interesting.

You want to strike the strings rapidly. Apparently, I've been strumming too slow all these years.

He also wants you to record 2 tracks of mono guitar panning 1 hard left and the other hard right. It does make a difference.

Here's an example that merges lessons from "The Pop Guitarist Survival Guide" and "Melodic Rock Lines" on guitar

Traveler's Rest

Do you mean two identical tracks panned hard left/right ( the same take, recorded through two mics ) - OR - A copy of a single take (perhaps detuned/timeshifted a bit) - OR - Two separate takes of the same arrangemnt ( for doubling purpose )

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:27 pm 
Muse-ician

2 separate takes. So, if you're using 2 mics, you would use 4 channels and record it live twice. Panning the first pass through to the left, and the other to the right.

It doesn't give a detuned effect if your stumming is accurate, it just thickens it. Even though you're striking the strings consistently, there is going to be some variation, and this is what gives it the depth that I've always been lacking with my backing guitar tracks.

Give it a shot and post your examples here and let us tell if we can see the difference.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:20 am 
Former Computer Geek

Favourite food: Pizza, E.Coast plz!!
Machine type: AW1600
That is absolutely the way to do it. Also, try making one wet, and one almost dry. If you detune one 2 cents flat, that helps too! Eq them a little differently too...

-= Beer

I LOVE THIS!!! Ted Stevens, 82-year-old US Senator from Alaska and chairman of the Senate Committee on Science, Commerce and Transportation, for explaining in a speech how the Internet actually works: “It’s a series of tubes.”

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:12 am 
Muse-ician

I think I'm getting better at doubling my rhythm track... I just finished a TrueFire class called "The Pop Guitarists Survival Guide" - I usually take more time to go through, but it was a straightforward class and I was able to get through it in a day.

This piece features the panned rhythm guitar, plus 2 tracks of safe and common extensions to add color.

This is pop

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:53 pm 
Imperator

Favourite food: Jägerschnitzel
Machine type: AW16G
I recorded two tracks of flattop this weekend, and it made the sound a lot bigger. However, this recording will eventually have vocals, sparse electric guitar, and harmonica added to the mix. I have a feeling that, with a more crowded soundscape, my fat flattop track is going to have to be thinned a bit.

What is your experience with these doubled acoustic guitar tracks in a full arrangement? Does it end up taking up too much space in the mix?

Thanks, Randy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:41 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
You don't have to leave these panned hard left right. Try putting one hard left and the other a bit left of center, or mid left. adjust relative volumes to suit.

As an eg., another trick is to run these two tracks through an effect bus , and pan the output to the right. On the 1600, the effect bus panning is on the very last screen of the effect edit pages ( use the cursor keys to scroll down to these pages if you have not seen them before) . If you set the pan, and also use the High Pass and low pass filters, you begin to control what actually gets through, allowing you to create and carve some "sparkle" in you mix as shimmers will escape the left panned tracks and appear elsewhere in the mix ( for eg.).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:40 am 
Muse-ician

And don't confuse "depth" with EQ.

When you thicken your guitar, it just sounds more "full". The art of working with EQ means that you choose guitar voicing and modify your EQ so that the guitar doesn't compete with your voice.

When guitarists play "grip" chords or bar chords, there are generally repeated notes and the bass note. Let's look at an E major chord:

E-G#-B... that's all that's really required for you to know it's an E, but when you play it in open position you usually play:

E - B - E - G# - B - E

You can adjust your voicing among other things...

to just the right E-G#-B